Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it ever feel like there are snipers everywhere? I went to a bank I suspect is filled with snipers. You know the type,.. You ask for halves and you get weird reactions like "here these are really great!" ($100 skunk) No, no we don't get anything like that here. "This one's a 1983,.. do you still want it?" They hawk over any coin you are about to receive in case something almost slips by them. The strange part is I have gotten silver from out under their noses or I wouldn't keep coming back. I am sure they keep the lions share but they can't be everywhere.
Well I missed a good opportunity today. The guy at the teller beside me says he wants to cash in some bills. I look over and see the lime green of a $10 gold certificate. The guy says " I can't get anyone to take them, everyone thinks they are fake." In unison I and two of the three tellers say " I'll take them!" I start to open my wallet and before I can get the guy to focus on me the tellers are grabbing the bills. I figured there would be plenty for everyone. The guys got quite a few. Nope, they snatched em up so fast my head was spinning. I asked the teller if I could get one from her and she gives me a " No. "
I figured I'd wait outside and get a word with the guy in case he's got more to unload. I wait two minutes and then stick my head back in and the guy is long gone; there is a front and a back door. Ugh, frustration. Then the teller who got the bills starts gloating rattling off " I have this and that and the other at home,. ." Normally I love war stories but I could feel steam coming out of my ears. I know we all have so many stories like this it cold fill a hard drive. I just like the ones with happier endings. I really feel like I could have said I would give him twelve dollars for the ten and that would have opened negotiations into the wad. I was just moving slow and those tellers were quick. Sorry had to vent. Best of luck to all

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:
THE HORROR______________THE HORROR----------REPEAT AS NEEDED
makes ya' want to head to the nearest strip club/bar :laughing7:
my eyes are tearing up as I feel your pain----no cookies for those mooch tellers :cross::blackbeard:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if I really wanted it, I would have been offering more than $12.00 for it.

I would have jumped in with an aggressive offer and see if he took the money back from the teller.

Better luck next time though.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
banks may frown on you getting involved with their customer while performing bank business at the teller station. they could interpret your action as a "security" issue. tread lightly. burned bridges are hard to cross :laughing7:
I think if I really wanted it, I would have been offering more than $12.00 for it.

I would have jumped in with an aggressive offer and see if he took the money back from the teller.

Better luck next time though.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was Wells Fargo. Their bridges are on fire. They also have a large and growing business account of mine. I don't think their manager would be happy if a teller cost them my account. Everyone in my area dumps at Wells and I can see why. I listen and learn. One batch of bills isn't the end of the line but they are quickly working the way to becoming a dump for me as well. If things don't turn around with them they are going to be wondering where to stack all the halves I'll bring them lol.

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing happened, saw teller with halves in trays, there were 4-5 silver edges showing and she said they were not for sale, but she did sell me clads,,,,,,

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a former teller was at my LCS today----she spent her years there grabbing silvers & Buffs. was looking to sell a few of her cheap gold rings :dontknow:. a dumb teller is the way I like 'em :laughing7:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tellers are bank employees. They're not hired so they can pick through the cash and take what they like. Next time a teller pulls that, go to the head honcho and file a complaint. Any teller pulled that on me would be unemployed in a week. "I just wanted some half dollars, but she said she wanted them for herself!" "Why is she doing that?"

No reputable bank will think it's acceptable for a teller to exchange their cash for the bank's cash. It's looks like they're dipping into the till and it's on camera, so it shouldn't be tolerated.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tellers are bank employees. They're not hired so they can pick through the cash and take what they like. Next time a teller pulls that, go to the head honcho and file a complaint. Any teller pulled that on me would be unemployed in a week. "I just wanted some half dollars, but she said she wanted them for herself!" "Why is she doing that?"

No reputable bank will think it's acceptable for a teller to exchange their cash for the bank's cash. It's looks like they're dipping into the till and it's on camera, so it shouldn't be tolerated.

Why are you more special then the bank teller? The way I look at it is that sniping is just a perk that bank tellers get. I know darn well that if you or I worked at a bank we would be doing the exact same thing.

Why do you have to make yourself seem so tough, that you would have a person fired from their job just because they didn't give you something they wanted for themselves. The bank isn't a store that you get to go in and pick out specific bills you want. You get what the tellers give you.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If the bank doesn't care, why should you care? Do you know for a fact that the bank is unaware or not cool with it.

Filing a complaint over some coins is extremely childish.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" In unison I and two of the three tellers say " I'll take them!" I start to open my wallet and before I can get the guy to focus on me the tellers are grabbing the bills. I figured there would be plenty for everyone. The guys got quite a few. Nope, they snatched em up so fast my head was spinning. I asked the teller if I could get one from her and she gives me a " No. "

The tellers were being jerks, so why let it go? Sorry, but you don't know if the banks tolerate this practice or not. Point it out and let the chips fall where they may. No one would treat me like that and get away with it. They're employees of the bank, they don't own it. Treating a customer like dirt isn't tolerated at any of the banks I do my business with.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you more special then the bank teller? The way I look at it is that sniping is just a perk that bank tellers get

Sorry, but rifling through money to pick out silvers and old bills is NOT a perk of working in a bank. They're not doing their job if they're looking for something of value so they can profit from it instead of waiting on customers. ALL the money they receive is the bank's money, not theirs to play with.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing happened, saw teller with halves in trays, there were 4-5 silver edges showing and she said they were not for sale, but she did sell me clads

I would explain to her that I didn't want to buy them, I wanted to exchange them for my bills. If a teller refused to sell me coins, I would ask her manager why that is allowed. It's not the teller's place to hold back coins or bills for their personal gain. They're paid a wage to wait on customers and give them what they ask for, period.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but rifling through money to pick out silvers and old bills is NOT a perk of working in a bank. They're not doing their job if they're looking for something of value so they can profit from it instead of waiting on customers. ALL the money they receive is the bank's money, not theirs to play with.

It's absolutly is a perk of the job. That's why their are so many threads about sniping tellers. Just like being a cashier at a store you could swap out coins in your register if you found a cool coin. They only thing the bank cares about is that the numbers match at the end of the day.

Just like CRH you have to get lucky to get a dream box, you also have to find a teller who doesn't know or care about silver. I have met many of bank tellers who tell me their stories about what they have taken home from customers. It happens and I think I may have jut talked myself into becoming a bank teller after I retire from teaching.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I had a bank that I knew not to even ask for a half at because I knew there was a "super sniper" head teller working there that checked each and every half that came in ..nothing before 1971 was ever getting by her ..all 40% and 90% she gobbled up .. it was a happy day for me when she finally retired ...she was a silver snatching machine

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be a perk of the job, but refusing to exchange coins or bills for a customer so they can pocket them wouldn't wash in most banks. Just imagine that happening to you in other aspects of your daily life:

You go into a diner and there's a tasty looking slice of apple pie in the display case. "I'll have that slice of pie, Alice!" The waitress replies, "Sorry, Tim, but I'm saving that for my boyfriend." "How about a stale muffin instead?"

You go to a used car dealership and see a nice 1969 Road Runner for sale. "I'd like to buy that Road Runner." The salesman replies, "Sorry, but I'm saving that for my buddy." "How about this sweet 1978 Volare wagon instead?"

You get my drift...

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if the teller told a customer "sorry but I'm saving that silver coin for FreeBirdTim?" I've got a few who do that for me. Also, let's say someone, maybe even the salesman himself, agreed to buy the Road Runner and needed a day to pick it up. Should the salesman let you buy it if you came in between time? He should not be required to sell it to you because you happened to see it on the lot.
It may be a perk of the job, but refusing to exchange coins or bills for a customer so they can pocket them wouldn't wash in most banks. Just imagine that happening to you in other aspects of your daily life:

You go into a diner and there's a tasty looking slice of apple pie in the display case. "I'll have that slice of pie, Alice!" The waitress replies, "Sorry, Tim, but I'm saving that for my boyfriend." "How about a stale muffin instead?"

You go to a used car dealership and see a nice 1969 Road Runner for sale. "I'd like to buy that Road Runner." The salesman replies, "Sorry, but I'm saving that for my buddy." "How about this sweet 1978 Volare wagon instead?"

You get my drift...

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You get my drift...

There is a huge difference between banks and diners or car dealerships. Banks are not stores. You can't go in them and browse the vault for those special bills or coins. No teller will refuse to give you coin or money back ever. The sniper teller will gladly give you that roll of halves or bills they know are just clad. So you are still getting your money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread