Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it ever feel like there are snipers everywhere? I went to a bank I suspect is filled with snipers. You know the type,.. You ask for halves and you get weird reactions like "here these are really great!" ($100 skunk) No, no we don't get anything like that here. "This one's a 1983,.. do you still want it?" They hawk over any coin you are about to receive in case something almost slips by them. The strange part is I have gotten silver from out under their noses or I wouldn't keep coming back. I am sure they keep the lions share but they can't be everywhere.
Well I missed a good opportunity today. The guy at the teller beside me says he wants to cash in some bills. I look over and see the lime green of a $10 gold certificate. The guy says " I can't get anyone to take them, everyone thinks they are fake." In unison I and two of the three tellers say " I'll take them!" I start to open my wallet and before I can get the guy to focus on me the tellers are grabbing the bills. I figured there would be plenty for everyone. The guys got quite a few. Nope, they snatched em up so fast my head was spinning. I asked the teller if I could get one from her and she gives me a " No. "
I figured I'd wait outside and get a word with the guy in case he's got more to unload. I wait two minutes and then stick my head back in and the guy is long gone; there is a front and a back door. Ugh, frustration. Then the teller who got the bills starts gloating rattling off " I have this and that and the other at home,. ." Normally I love war stories but I could feel steam coming out of my ears. I know we all have so many stories like this it cold fill a hard drive. I just like the ones with happier endings. I really feel like I could have said I would give him twelve dollars for the ten and that would have opened negotiations into the wad. I was just moving slow and those tellers were quick. Sorry had to vent. Best of luck to all

Upvote 0

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
"Why are you more special then the bank teller?"

(PLEASE IGNORE CAPS)YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER NOT THE TELLER. THE CUSTOMER COMES FIRST IN ANY BUSINESS. PERIOD.

If they refuse, I agree make a complaint. Take it up the chain if needed.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been discussed many times in the past. If the tellers want the coins they need to keep them out of site. If they're in the open in the coin tray then the customer has a right to them.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many of my tellers know me and what I do, so when they find something odd they ask my opinion on it's value. many times they say "you want it?". scored many a silver & notes at face by being a "buddy"
teller shows me a UNC. 2009 C-note with major up/down shift on both sides--told her I would get an estimate on value, ---said I would sell it for her at 50/50 split less costs. see what she says next trip there :dontknow:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
many of my tellers know me and what I do, so when they find something odd they ask my opinion on it's value. many times they say "you want it?". scored many a silver & notes at face by being a "buddy"
teller shows me a UNC. 2009 C-note with major up/down shift on both sides--told her I would get an estimate on value, ---said I would sell it for her at 50/50 split less costs. see what she says next trip there :dontknow:

Very smart to make friends with the tellers.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...the amount of entitlement shown in this thread is astounding.

Okay, kiddies, gather 'round and let the lesson begin...

The bank is not your personal coin store.
You have no right to anything.
If you want specific change, they are obligated to give you change...just not necessarily the change YOU want.
Being a jerk over something YOU think you're owed will make enemies.
You win some, you lose some. Deal.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
told a few of my REALLY HOTtellers today that they were like the 4 inches of snow that came last night, they were like each of those individual snowflakes---- a unique "one of a kind" miracle of nature
pretty good line me thinks :laughing7::laughing7:
Very smart to make friends with the tellers.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Why are you more special then the bank teller? The way I look at it is that sniping is just a perk that bank tellers get. I know darn well that if you or I worked at a bank we would be doing the exact same thing.

Yes, but we'd have the sense to do it more discretely...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Wow...the amount of entitlement shown in this thread is astounding.

Okay, kiddies, gather 'round and let the lesson begin...

If you want specific change, they are obligated to give you change...just not necessarily the change YOU want.
Being a jerk over something YOU think you're owed will make enemies.
You win some, you lose some. Deal.

Calling fellow CRH'ers jerks and kiddies probably isn't going to help win your arguments. This subject has been debated to death here, and is just as divided as CRH videos. Give it a rest.

::)

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I think if I really wanted it, I would have been offering more than $12.00 for it.

I would have jumped in with an aggressive offer and see if he took the money back from the teller.

Basically this. I have stopped people cashing in silver coins at the bank before, telling them that what they're turning in is worth more than face value, and offering to buy it. Try this approach at a coin store or a pawn shop, and you'll likely be thrown out. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that at a bank however, and in this case it would have been worth breaking even just to get one over on those tellers.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but we'd have the sense to do it more discretely...

Absolutly, good call. But in the OP story the tellers didn't get a chance to even be discrete about it. What would you have done in that situation?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This applies to tellers as well. They're being paid to do a job, not to scout out silver coins to add to their coffers.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So based on what I've read here, if an elderly person brings in 500 Mercs to exchange for bills, these unethical tellers will keep their mouths shut, hand the person $50 for the coins and then buy them from the bank later that day? Sounds like a criminal act to me...

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So based on what I've read here, if an elderly person brings in 500 Mercs to exchange for bills, these unethical tellers will keep their mouths shut, hand the person $50 for the coins and then buy them from the bank later that day? Sounds like a criminal act to me...

Not at all. Those Mercs still have the face value of ten cents each. They are scamming no one.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically this. I have stopped people cashing in silver coins at the bank before, telling them that what they're turning in is worth more than face value, and offering to buy it.

Nice of you to do that, but this applies to you as well...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all. Those Mercs still have the face value of ten cents each. They are scamming no one

Sorry, the judge isn't buying that baloney. You just committed fraud against an elderly person. Now you're a convicted felon, so kiss your teller job goodbye!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all. Those Mercs still have the face value of ten cents each. They are scamming no one

You might have gotten away with this BS story, but you were greedy and bought them all at the end of business. That proves you knew they were worth 13 times what you paid the poor old lady for them. Judge decrees you committed fraud against an elderly person. Convicted felon. Kiss your teller job goodbye!

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might have gotten away with this BS story, but you were greedy and bought them all at the end of business. That proves you knew they were worth 13 times what you paid the poor old lady for them. Judge decrees you committed fraud against an elderly person. Convicted felon. Kiss your teller job goodbye!

You crack me up! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread