More stuff from the town square.

Colorado Kidd

Feb 19, 2007
Southern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Hi everyone,

I've been hunting around the edges of the town square for about a month now as the snow melts. There is a lot of dirt area around the edges. I usually stop on the way home from work and hunt for about half an hour. I'm attempting to dig every piece of metal out of the ground in this dirt area so I don't miss anything. The town goes back to the 1880's. On the 1929 Sanborn map there is a town hall building closer to the main street than the current one. The white building in the pics was built some time after 1929. I found my first Mercury dime here (1918) and my first Barber dime (1907) I've mostly been using my Tesoro Tiger shark with the disc. set at 4 and digging all the good signals. Then I go back over the same area and dig the iffy signals. I'm finding a lot of older Memmorial cents, one from 1959 today. I found a 1918 Wheat cent yesterday about 4 inches down. It was green so I thought I had an Indian head at first. Here are some pics.

Our one stoplight/fire hydrant in town. The stop light no longer works.
stoplight.jpg

The dirt area is about 30 ft. wide and 100 ft. long. Its still too frozen to dig in the grass area.
dirt.jpg

There is another dirt strip along the main street.
parkway.jpg

I found this little cross by a tree root. It was one of those iffy signals. It was good one way and broken the other. I thought it might be a coin on a 45 degree. I was pretty excited to see this. This is from someone who gets excited finding a penny. Don't know what the metal is. It cleaned up easily. There are no markings and it's really heavy.
cross.jpg .

I found this copper cross a couple of weeks ago by another tree in the same area.
copper thing.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting to everyone.

Upvote 0

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Nice finds,, looks like you have a great place to hunt for a good while

Congrats

Eddy

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Nice! I see someone else has figured out that TH'ers dont hunt the edge of parks. Found a lot of good coins out the very edge, nearest the streets, of old parks. I think most folks hunt near the center and are, for whatever reason, prone to avoid the three feet next to the street. Love that barber!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your determination will lead to more and better finds yet. Thanks for the post.
Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread