VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I made a solo trip back to the site we have been hunting but the tobacco leaves are begging to shade the row centers now. Steve found the hammerstone on the prior trip and laid it down and you guessed it-we lost it. I found it this morning. No real good points but the 4 in. piece of stone is a mystery. It's brown stone and not typical of what we find there. Natural occurring stone or used for some purpose? Thanks for looking & HH, Q.

Attachments

• DSCN0271.JPG
    DSCN0271.JPG
    480.1 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN0270.JPG
    DSCN0270.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stone in question any grooves or notches on it any pecking or any sign of use?

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The stone in question any grooves or notches on it any pecking or any sign of use?
Some wear on the small tip and heavy wear that runs on either side of the stone lengthwise. I can make another pic if you like. Thanks Rock. This stone does not belong in that Winter site upland of the river.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a peice very similar to that, i am thinking they could have been used to bust up bones to get the marrow or nuts. Just a guess but the one i found did show signs of use on the ends

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of those pieces Quindy were it is similar to a pestle of sorts but hard to tell if it was used. It looks like a natural rock that would have been used as a pestle if found on a site. Hard to say...

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one of those pieces Quindy were it is similar to a pestle of sorts but hard to tell if it was used. It looks like a natural rock that would have been used as a pestle if found on a site. Hard to say...
Thanks everyone. The extensive wear 180 deg. apart running the length of the piece is consistent with what one would see when rotated in the mortar. I guess we'll never know. Special thanks to Richard. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was also thinking pestle but looks really small for one
That was my initial thought when I picked it up. I can envision the use to mix herbs in a small mortar but who knows for sure. Thanks AR. I appreciate everyone's expertise. Happy hunting,

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could of also been used as a bopper for flaking.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I made a solo trip back to the site we have been hunting but the tobacco leaves are begging to shade the row centers now. Steve found the hammerstone on the prior trip and laid it down and you guessed it-we lost it. I found it this morning. No real good points but the 4 in. piece of stone is a mystery. It's brown stone and not typical of what we find there. Natural occurring stone or used for some purpose? Thanks for looking & HH, Q.

Nice finds there, looks like you have a good site to hunt. I think the long narrow brown item is probably both a naturally occurring stone AND used for some purpose. Those pre-historic folks had an eye for useful stones as much, if not more than, we do. I would suspect it is pretty much naturally formed that way, and brought by them back to the site to be used some way when and if needed. Looking for evidence of wear on it is pretty much the only way to determine if they used it much for anything or not. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread