Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Morel's (haystacks)

Found these 41 on Thursday ( Yesterday ) hit the Jackpot.

Attachments

• haystacks.JPG
    haystacks.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 257
OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Where would someone sell them to get a fortune? I would hunt them to sell If I knew of a buyer. I got the eye for finding them, but eat em all cause noone to sell to... ;D

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

10/4. Just put some in the freezer and hung some on string to dry. Man bet your avatar fish would be a good fight on light tackle...WOOOHOOOO..........

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

Barndoor halibut.........Ive caught many of em but nothin quite that big! My biggest was about 50 lbs. We're you in Alaska Packer?

Those shrooms are very valuable if you find a buyer. Seems like there was an episode of Treasure Hunter with Kirsten Gumm where they were hunting morels........

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Biggest thing to hook into here in the river is Flathead Catfeesh. Thems fun to hook into on a bass pole.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd love to hunt those, but I've heard there is another mushroom that looks much like it, but that one is poisonous. With my luck, I'd have the bad bunch.. :laughing7: As far as taste, are they similar to a Portabella mushroom?

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spart the portabello is awesome, But the morel is #1. If you were to eat morels, They are so good. Like the difference tween nite and day. I have the eye to find them. They are quite valuable to if you have a buyer. Their is a false morel, But if you were to see it, and the morel you could distinguish the differences between them. I have hunted these morels for 20+ years and never found a bad one yet. They are the creme of the crop. Their's a window between April and May here. If you were to eat a morel, and like mushrooms you would stomp on the portabello. :headbang:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Portabellaos are the fillet Mignon of mushrooms to me. Cutting into them is like slicing a steak.. mmmm

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Until the day yall try the morel. The portabello will be your best. I'm not nocking them portabello's are great. Morels are out of this world. If we all lived closer, We could have a group hunt for morel's.
PS. Hey Spart bout time you fessed up and beat down the moths and coughed up the $20 to become a charter member. :laughing7:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Morels are definitely at the top when it comes to flavor. Trick is, don't wash them! At least not lots of water and rinsing. The main flavor is on the outside of the mushroom and easily washed washed off. Kinda like strawberries, same thing.
Yes, that is a 100-poung Alaskan halibut and they're tough even with heavy tackle. Not so much of a fight, more of a strong, steady pull. Like reeling in a pool table. :P One of my buddies has our group's record though, he caught a 182-pounder. We fish out of Homer, AK.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How far offshore do you have to go till you can hook up with one of these Halibut?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They can be caught hit-and-miss from shore if you get lucky but, to get constant action all day long, you take a one to two-hour boat ride. Usually see a lot of sea otters, some killer whales, gray whales, sea lions and a lot of bird life. The scenery is flat out gorgeous (unless foggy) and it stays light out almost 24 hours a day. My brother that lived in Anchorage used to say it never gets so dark you can't see your bobber. :D

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202

What I normally do is set up in a parking lot with a sign that says Morels $30.00 a pound. I usually sell about 4 or 5 pounds and keep the rest for myself and my family. I actually got sick off of morels last night and stayed home from work today. I already posted my story about it. It sucked.

OP
OP
poorhunter78

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Morel's (haystacks) New Find

Got these yesterday evening. All the morel's in this post are from the same place, Bout 3/4 of a football field. Time to go hunt next door.

Attachments

• haystacks.JPG
    haystacks.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 131

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread