Morris Island SC buried pirate treasure?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
deepsecrets:

The source for that yarn appears to be:

"Ghosts or Devils" I'm Done. By Francis M. Moore. Press of O.C. Cole & Son. Deadwood, S.D. 1908. The Startling Adventures of Two Officers of the 62nd Ohio Infantry on Polly Island, S.C., during General Gilmore's Siege of Fort Sumter in the War of the Rebellion, and the story which incited their adventure.

"This is what purports to be a true narrative of the experiences of Lieutenants Yocum and Hatcher of the 62nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry. It is weird and extraordinary and reminds one of Poe's imaginative creations." Quote from The Civil War Literature of Ohio a Bibliography. By Daniel J. Ryan.

It is long out of copyright, so if it hasn't been reprinted it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain a photocopy from an Ohio historical society or other library. I suggest you base your inquiry on your interest in Civil War history or the families of the gentlemen in the book - not on hunting pirate treasure.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
deepsecrets

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks OB for the reference and sage advice! Yes, I'm sure that was a tall tale spun around the campfire before the battle - an interesting footnote eclispsed by the savagery of the assault on Battery Wagner; I regard Morris Island to be a sacred War Grave and should be left as such.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
DS:

Thank you for your kind words! You are, of course, quite welcome! And quite correct.

The link you posted has what I would consider a much more interesting story - the headless bodies. And the little-known 55th Massachusetts. Singular...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread