Motley Point?

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northwest Missouri creek find, posting for a friend, would i be correct about this being a Motley Point?

100_0694.JPG

100_0695.JPG

100_0696.JPG

100_0700.JPG

Upvote 0

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a motley to me as well, one of my favorite kinds of points

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What characteristic differentiates the 2 types? i can barely find any info on the Kay blade.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys all of the feedback is greatly appreciated. Anyone know what the notch is in the side of the blade, or is it broken?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your friend found a nice one. Most likely damaged in use.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Motley are associated with Poverty Point and not found anywhere near NW Missouri.

Kay Blades (not Kays), are pretty much a larger knife version of the Cupp point. They are named after Kay County, Oklahoma, are Mississippian in age and are often found in caches. It's a fine line, differentiating the Cupp and Kay blades, but Kay are larger (3"-4" on average) and the stems are generally more slender. They have a similar distribution range as the Cupp, but are most prevalent in the western fringes of the Ozarks, along the Grand / Neosho waterway, it's tributaries, and northward up to NW MO and NE KS.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I should have said kays with an s ( i think) because i wasn't sure
thanks for clearing that up matt

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I agree with Neanderthal, I think it's a Kay. Motley generally has stronger ears and the base flares a bit more than Motley. Also, as Neanderthal says, they're a marker of Poverty Point. You can find an occasional point in Southern Missouri. I don't think it would be impossible to find one in northern Missouri but it's be an oddity. Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions