larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
you asked for some more bone stuff there Mr IlliniGuy....well your wish is my command my fellow Tnetter
and oh yes, i just remembered that Chris wanted me "rub it in"....so here.........
i will post these and rather than put names on 2011-10-04_21-21-51_417.jpg IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0163.jpg IMG_0167.jpg IMG_0158.jpg IMG_0204.jpg IMG_0209.jpg IMG_0211.jpg the obvious stuff right away i will wait for questions or name some after i see what order they are in after posting IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0864.jpg IMG_1165.jpg IMG_1074.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_0391.jpg IMG_1422.jpg IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1048.jpg IMG_1049.jpg IMG_1864.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mr. Larson.......WOW.....just WOW! That is an amazing expo. To pick a favorite? Hmm. Well, the comb, maybe the whistles, the fish hooks, any incised piece. Heck I like em all! I am going to have to look at these a time or two, then maybe a question!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like always I'm floored by the beautiful bone artifacts you have Steve. The preservation of bone in your area of the country is amazing. I've never bought a single artifact but those fish hooks sure make me think about it... I've spent a very long time visualizing finding one while hunting.... top notch!

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thank you

i see that i maybe should put some descriptions out there for study since some of the pieces might surprise you at what they really are
larson1951
"stevie boy"

if you look at my "dirt" posts it would help you see why this bone is so prolific after a rain

Last edited:

PA.Hunter

Dec 5, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! nice assortment of bone there. I love the fish hooks. Hopefully some day I can find one!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow. I mean if all you ever found was just bone that would be a nice collection but I have seen all the stone artifacts you find as well. Very nice Larson. Lot of museum quality things right there. Add that to the crane effigies and wow!!!
Thanks for sharing Merry Christmas.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of the Crane effigies .... I've been doing some research on pottery paddles and noticed a resemblance. Were yours ever used for anything utilitarian?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
the crane shaped tools are porcupine quill processing tools
if you look at the "faces and things" thread that i started you can see the drawings of ernst reinhold steinbrueck and jacob brower saying this same thing

but look at the split buffalo rib tools (image #5 of this thread) with the radius on the ends-these are the pottery making tools......
these also could be pressure flaking/quill flattening tools but most likely pottery forming tools

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you... I have seen the scapula Documented as pottery tools. Never knew that about The porcupine quills. Not something I have here. Thanks for taking a moment To explain.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Really great post, love the fish hooks, and in fact all of your bone tools are awesome.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey thanks
now gator the tools that you are calling scapulas are farming/gardening tools but they are not the crane head shaped pcs
you see the scapula is a buffalo shoulder blade which is shown in image #10 of the 1rst post on this thread.........
....these were used as a shovel for farming when mounted in parallel with a 5-6 foot long handle......
....now these were also used as garden hoes when hafted to the end of a same length handle only at a 90 degree angle
i will see if i can find an image of the back side of these scapulas to show what i meant about dating these tools (as the ribs on the reverse side were removed by flint knives)....
....showing an earlier example as opposed to a later example which maybe had the ribs removed by a steel knife after the contact period

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand... I will go ahead and start my own thread with the piece that reminded me of a crane head and started my questions. It would be great if you would Chime in.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
OK my friend just post here and right now if you wish, it's cool with me

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I started a pottery paddle thread. The first time I saw it... it looked like a crane head

that's cool
i need to look to find the images i wanted but these are from the internet regarding the scapulas IMG_3212.jpg IMG_3210.jpg

i think we might have our wires crossed and could be talking about two different things.....oh well?
not a big deal it is all good info anyhow

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
fyi the images #16 and#17 show the two triangle shaped pieces of elk antler
these are what is left when the elk antler is split into strips and the polished and boiled in buffalo tallow which would produce curled round bracelet pieces
the triangle pieces were usually made into perforating tools or awls
the rectangular piece is a cut piece which was made ready to be split and boiled
on the left of image #9 you can see some long pieces with holes drilled into the ends like the piece with the hole shown in the last image

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread