Moving to Georgia

GA Bound

Jun 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garrett, Nautilus,Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello to all. I am new to the forum and soon to be new to Georgia. I have been detecting for 30 plus years up here in the frozen North but I have been hunting for CW relics many times in the South. I am moving to Boston GA at the end of this month and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the are as far as relic hunting go's. Also, are there any relic hunting clubs in the area. I understand Georgia has some pretty strict laws in regards to detecting but the plantation I will be working on is about 12,000 acres so I will have permission on quite a bit of land. I figure if there was any war activity in the area, it may be worth poking around a bit. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Tim

GeorgiaHunter

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you're looking for cw activity, you are in the wrong part of the state, don't think there was any activity that far south. most of the skirmishes were I-16 and above. The DNR controls the state detecting laws here. On the books as with all states no state parks or lands, but in GA that also includes Rivers. But an old plantation site is always a good place to hunt if you have permission.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard! You'll be about 20 miles from me the way a crow flies. No civil war activity around unless you stumbled on a campsite related to battles in FL but that would be very unlikely. I would be looking for relics related to history of the plantation, particularly related to the slave trade. Good luck and HH!

GeorgiaHunter, don't tell my local DNR because I've actually talked with them while wading our rivers at GA/FL line and all he asked was if I had found anything good!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GA Bound

Jun 13, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garrett, Nautilus,Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello to all. I am new to the forum and soon to be new to Georgia. I have been detecting for 30 plus years up here in the frozen North but I have been hunting for CW relics many times in the South. I am moving to Boston GA at the end of this month and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the are as far as relic hunting go's. Also, are there any relic hunting clubs in the area. I understand Georgia has some pretty strict laws in regards to detecting but the plantation I will be working on is about 12,000 acres so I will have permission on quite a bit of land. I figure if there was any war activity in the area, it may be worth poking around a bit. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Tim

Thanks guys. I kinda figured I wouldn't find any camps but from the little research I did on Ehistory, some troops may have passed by and stopped off for a bit. Only time will tell I guess. Thanks again for the replies. Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread