Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here we go and these are just my personal thoughts for someone starting out to cache hunt and wants to purchase the "right" equipment and buy right the first time. Here are some of the choises.
1.) Garrett GTI 2500 with the 2 box attachment. Sort of an all in one set up. Eagle eye is a good feature to pinpoint after the 2 box has detected an object. The GTI 2500 can size things and that helps too. However since second guessing in cache hunting is not the best policy you need to dig everything. No?
2.) Minelab SD or GP with 18" coil. Few detectors have a coil larger than 12" However you can get even larger coils thru Coiltek 24" and beyond. Many cache hunters say get the largest coil you can. Is there a limit?
3.) Nautilus 2B Great tried and true circuit that relic hunters love. 15" coil and seperate audio for disc. and seperate for all metal. Features that I've only begun to explore that seem interesting. Deep I'm told.
4.)Dicscovery T900 a 2 box with auto and manual GB, this unit appears to beat them all Gemini, Whites 808 and Garretts. Hard to learn (ever try, I did man what do you do first, dig where, how deep and how often so as to learn?and so few who know it to teach others.
5.) Eric Fosters PI Why not just go PI and get the most powerful hand crafted unit possibly made. Only 11" coils sold no bigger too bad. Would coiltek modify one for the Deepstar3?
6.) PI's with 3 foot square coils? Few experienced to know for sure who and what to think. Many suspect machines with the word "star" and "deepers" out there that sound like Eric Fosters legit machines. Out of the country and expensive. Can you totally trust Kellyco for the offbrand PI's they sell with out going there and checking them out?
7.) Whites 5900 with a 15" coil. I hear its a good machine.

Well there you have it. Not exhausting by any means but weeding through the unnesessary units which can all work more or less to the ones that will give the cache hunter the necessary advantages. What do you say?

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are you saying the Garrett 2500 is the best overall. Also, is it just as good prospecting for gold?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread