'Murder hornets' have arrived in the U.S. — here's what you should know...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rewire this for a 9 volt battery, literally blows yellow jackets up!

electric_fly_swatter.jpg

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Murder hornets, killer bees, fire ants..........it's enough to drive us buggy. Anyone here remember the 1954 movie "THEM" about the giant ants that invaded the US ?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't try to get them with a lot of street lights on or with a full moon.

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
well were looking foward to Genetically Modified Mosquitoes for release in April down here in some experamental run thats been rejected by other countries.....?????

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.177 caliber air rifle will do the trick too,if you don,t mind getting them one at a time.I use mine on big old red wasps when they start building their nests in the spring.It,s less efficient than a can of wasp spray but more satisfying spiritually if you get my drift.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there is another type of giant hornet with a body the size of your index finger...they have been in Florida for a long time. We went to look at a house for sale in an area south of Plant City 20 years ago. There were giant hornets buzzing all over the back yard, and lighting on the house. The woman selling the house said they never bothered her, and she even mowed over their nest in the ground with no problems. I swell up with a regular wasp sting, so I wasn't interested in a property full of hornets the size Hot Wheels cars...

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there is another type of giant hornet with a body the size of your index finger...they have been in Florida for a long time. We went to look at a house for sale in an area south of Plant City 20 years ago. There were giant hornets buzzing all over the back yard, and lighting on the house. The woman selling the house said they never bothered her, and she even mowed over their nest in the ground with no problems. I swell up with a regular wasp sting, so I wasn't interested in a property full of hornets the size Hot Wheels cars...

you most likely saw cicada killers which are harmless unless you're a Cicada. 3TRNKSEMXRG2LFSS375IXZTQAM.jpg

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought i saw one today !

But it was just another mosquito.

Yep.. we get some big ones.

ITs the "Florida State Bird". heh

And our "Florida State Flower" is the sandspur.

:P

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought i saw one today !

But it was just another mosquito.

Yep.. we get some big ones.

ITs the "Florida State Bird". heh

And our "Florida State Flower" is the sandspur.

:P

The Crain fly is often thought to be a big Mosquito and is called a skeeter hawk , they don't bite though. download.jpg

Attachments

• 3TRNKSEMXRG2LFSS375IXZTQAM.jpg
    3TRNKSEMXRG2LFSS375IXZTQAM.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot stand mosquitoes... they do suck... literally.

Blood sucking vermin they are.

Florida has no shortage of em.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in a urban area the skeeters were horrible , they were even worse at a friends house in town . I now live in a very rural area with a river out my back door , many creeks , a large marsh and thousands of forested acres and I haven't seen a skeeter in two years. BUT there's enough deer and horse flies to drive you nuts and draw blood too!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....with the current climate on killer hornets....I expect a lot of cicada killers to get blown up with various sized sticks of dynamite...
Cicada Killers don't live together / in swarms or hives, they are solitaire, so a firecracker will probably do the trick....save the Dynamite for those hummingbirds with stingers...that's what they look like in flight, small hummingbirds.....

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot stand mosquitoes... they do suck... literally.

Blood sucking vermin they are.

Florida has no shortage of em.

I pity you AARC. Mosquitos don't bother me at all. I might get bit 2 times a year, and it's usually not til late September. Never at all the whole summer.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I pity you AARC. Mosquitos don't bother me at all. I might get bit 2 times a year, and it's usually not til late September. Never at all the whole summer.

I invite you to Western Pa where in my backyard after sunrise or around sunset and you will be eaten alive by those little pests. I've not seen many regular bees around here for a few years, but plenty of stink bugs. Thanks Asia. As of late the stink bug population has dwindled and without any natural enemies I'm thinking an imported predator like the murder hornet could be killing them off. Maybe?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I invite you to Western Pa where in my backyard after sunrise or around sunset and you will be eaten alive by those little pests. I've not seen many regular bees around here for a few years, but plenty of stink bugs. Thanks Asia. As of late the stink bug population has dwindled and without any natural enemies I'm thinking an imported predator like the murder hornet could be killing them off. Maybe?

Years ago when our kids were younger, we would spend a week camping at Pymatuning. No matter how much bug repellant my daughter sprayed on, she was bit constantly by mosquitos. She had welts from head to toe. The mosquitos never bothered me. On the other hand, gnats always attack me, but other people are not bothered by them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread