Upvote 0

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll also need a probe. I use a piece of drill stock about 8" long with a .180" diameter with a wooden handle. Some folks like using a brass rod but that's too soft for my hunting. A small diameter screwdriver is used as a probe by many also.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll also need a probe. I use a piece of drill stock about 8" long with a .180" diameter with a wooden handle. Some folks like using a brass rod but that's too soft for my hunting. A small diameter screwdriver is used as a probe by many also.

I have not used a probe, I just dig plugs and retrieve coins quickly, is it really that much better with a probe?

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I probe with a screwdriver if the target is not found after turning a plug and my pinpointer doesn't hit anything. A few moments of probing around usually locates the target. you will be able to "feel" a coin after using a probe for a bit and it becomes natural to you.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Aside from the MD, pointer and digger, what are your opinions on other must have's? I just ordered my machine, which came with headphones, carry case and a Lesche digging tool. Not enough funds for a decent pointer just yet though!! 8-)

You do understand that a hand held "pointer" is not a "must have". You understand this. The only must haves is a tecter and a digger, unless you are in the sand, then you do not must have a digger.

I need a digger in my soil and a pouch because I dig a lot of crap. I will not go without headphones. Bug spray needed sometimes too.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most important "Must Have" is simply the desire to get out there and find treasure! Do your research and be patient. Good finds come to those who do this. Be prepared to dig a lot of junk. Dig everything at first, this will teach you what everything sounds like and give you a feel for your machine. Best of luck to you!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to dig plugs anywhere but in a woods, you need a cloth to put the dirt from your hole in.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Must haves for me are a set of gloves that has latex on the fingertips,(not cloth,they get too wet and muddy) and breathable material ,bottled water,handy wipes for afterwards. Am I the only person here that doesn't use a pinpointer?

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a probe, I use a piece of 1/8" 309 SS TIG wire about 10 inches long with a wooden handle on it. The end of the wire is shaped like a ball and highly polished. Knee pads are also a "must have" for me, and probably for anyone that has to kneel to retrieve finds.
A pinpointer is also a "must have". It was not a "must have" until I bought one, now I wonder how I did without it.

Roy

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i agree pin pointers are not must have till you use one. i hunted for over ten years without one now i would rather not dig two plugs without one. coins are usually fairly easy to find without one and i know my machine enough that when i pin point im on it i like my pin pointer for those small bits of metal hair pins nails and such that drive me nuts.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly recommend Lesche Sampson Seriies T-handle shovel if its in your budget. Best I've ever used and a knee saver!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going to repeat the above but take note cause it's all very good advice. Depending on where your hunting school yards, lawns or deep woods you might want to think about tick repellant. They are out there trust me I know. If your hunting warrants it or you just want to be cautious try a product called permanone made by Repel. Best product I ever used for ticks a chiggers. This product is used on your close and gear not your person. The other tool you might want to consider is a small short handle garden shovel. This should only be used in the more rural sites such as fields and woods where neat plugs are not such a concern. HH Hunter

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pin pointer is not a must have but is defiantly a big time and mess saver. The piece of cloth or a towel is a must in any public area, leave no evidence that you were digging. I leather man tool with pruning shears to cut up those thick roots. Everyone has there ways and techniques but the biggest thing you need is determination. All these tv series makes it seem like your digging gold on every hit, not the case. What keeps me addicted to MD is what might be in that next whole. Don't get discouraged give it time and you will be rewarded.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to expand on the cloth that SusanMN mentioned, we use a cloth to put the dirt on when you're digging in a nice grassy area, using a cloth keeps all the dirt together so the dirt can be easyly dump back into the hole and not all over the grass where you have dug, after dumping the dirt replace the grass plug on top tamp it down and if you do it correctly no one will be able to see where you have dug.

I also second the suggestion of a good pouch with at least two compartments or more for you tools and items found, one compartment for trash and the other/s for treasure and tools, etc.

Extra batteries is a must in my opinion, nothing like going out for a day of metal detecting and your batteries die!!

OP
OP
marh415

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the info, it will no doubt be helpful! I added a camo pouch from Garrett to my arsenal last night. Not sure how good it is, but for twelve dollars shipped, I couldn't pass it up!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer to us a ZipLock bag (big freezer type) instead of cloth for my loose dirt. It funnels dirt back into the hole easier, stays cleaner, and when you can't get all the dirt back into the hole, it provides a pouch to carry the excess in for dumping at a more discreet location. You are cutting 3 sided plugs or a slit, right? No circle plugs!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally cut a 3 sided flap/plug with 2" to 3" of dirt, that I fold back over onto a cloth and use another cloth to excavate the rest of the hole.

Here where I live most of the dirt is very dry and mostly sandy so the cloth usually never gets muddy and with a little shake after filling the hole almost all of the remaining grains of dirt fall out of the cloth, if I lived where the soil is very wet I would rethink using a cloth as it would get to be a muddy mess before very long.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marh415, great post, the ideas here helped me add a couple things to my list I would've never thought of. :occasion14:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to recycle your clad finds a small/cheap tumbler will get your coins sparkling clean and ready to spend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread