Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll also need a probe. I use a piece of drill stock about 8" long with a .180" diameter with a wooden handle. Some folks like using a brass rod but that's too soft for my hunting. A small diameter screwdriver is used as a probe by many also.

Just got idea........I bet a plastic chop stick would make a good probe or maybe a crochet hook ground to a point or even a knitting needle. They probably wouldn't scratch coin either.

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want a coil cover. I try to keep my equipment in good shape, as many others do. HH

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got idea........I bet a plastic chop stick would make a good probe or maybe a crochet hook ground to a point or even a knitting needle. They probably wouldn't scratch coin either.

I had some advertising signs with the steel wire that sticks in the ground. I cut one leg to proper length and used a file to round off the end and bent the other end to form a handle. I used electrician tape to wrap around the handle. It works great to probe a target and get an idea exactly where located and how big it is.

reg11756

Feb 4, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites SURF PI; MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a long thin screwdriver ground to a point (dull it if you are hunting old coins...sharp is fine for clad). I can locate and flip most coins from the ground up to 3-4" deep with a very small finger size hole.

Did it this way for over 30 years until I got an MXT and the digger is a must for the deeper or valuable targets.

BTW, Lowes sells a $9 True Temper serrated trowel with a blue handle that is outstanding!!!!

1948-SilverDime

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2013
I have bad knees so for kneeling I like the lightweight garden kneeling pads better than actual knee pads because the straps on the knee pads have a tendency to dig into the backs of my knees. The garden pad is so light you don't even know its on you until you need it. I bought a couple from our local Dollar store and they work great for me.
SD

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a long thin screwdriver ground to a point (dull it if you are hunting old coins...sharp is fine for clad). I can locate and flip most coins from the ground up to 3-4" deep with a very small finger size hole.

Did it this way for over 30 years until I got an MXT and the digger is a must for the deeper or valuable targets.

BTW, Lowes sells a $9 True Temper serrated trowel with a blue handle that is outstanding!!!!

Thanks for the tips. I need to practice with a screwdriver then because my holes are not nearly as neat as yours.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread