Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
MUST READ! Why You're Not Finding Stuff & Today's Digs

These are my digs for today. I only had 15 to 20 minutes to hunt.

Here's the story: I've often wondered why at times my detectors just seemed to hum along with no targets and no good finds.

Today I decided to test a theory I've held to for years but never took the time to actually test. I've always believed we get our best finds shortly after loading in new batteries. In other words, we're not finding as much as we could because our batteries aren't up to the level where our machines can work to their full potential.

I went back this evening to the exact same spot where I dug the 1902 V and 1880 Indian cent last week.

I hunted for about an hour with only a square nail dug. My batteries only had about 5 hours on them. I then put new batteries in (they came from the same package of 16 Copper Tops). Within 20 minutes this is what I found.

1. 1 1963 Silver Dime
2. 1 Very old button with Ivory ?
3. Old brass knob

Well, I'm convinced.

Badger

Upvote 0

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MUST READ! Why You're Not Finding Stuff & Today's Digs

You might have something there Badger. Now here is a question for everyone. What if the power was increased more than what came with the machine? Before you jump to a quick conclusion think about it.
Size, weight and depth is everything today. Have they cut quality and power because depth is not a factor after a certain depth? Just thinking outloud. Burdie

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden

I use the rechargeable pack that was stock Equipment on My eagle Spectrum,So this is of particular interest to Me.NMay have to do some research on the subject,Or actually field testing.
Thanks,Monte

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HMMMMM.....

Nice finds Badger.... ;)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Badger....Seeker here! See you found some nice stuff. But I would have to disagree with the battery theory...I used my whites XLT and now I use the Minelab explorer 2 and I use the batteries just about till there completely drained and I find stuff at different depths with good signal hits ....Not saying that some machines react different with lesser amounts of battery power ,I'm sure thats possible! But who knows ! Mabe I walked over some nice finds with out full strength!!! Hmmmmm.....?????? Nice post! ???

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've noticed the same thing with my Explorer. So now whenever I am not using the detector the batteries are charging in my car. Whenever they get even near half way I pop in some freshly charged ones.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Badger,

hmmm.....you make a good point:)

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Let me start by saying I am an Electrical Engineer. I design circuits. Typically you regulate the fluctuating battery voltage with a regulator of some sorts - DC/DC converter, Linear Regulator, LDO, etc. So that you always have a constant 5 Volts, 9 Volts(just picking these numbers) output regardless of whether you have 11.2 or 10.2 volts in. So I do think it's a state of mind. Ever notice how a lot of your best finds are either at the start or end of the day. Why? Maybe cause we are more focused at these times. That's my theorey. :)

Mirage

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for all the great comments pro & con. That's what forums are all about.

Personally, I don't know much about electronics. All I know is when my batteries in my detector start to get low, my machine doesn't function at its best. Maybe this phenomenon differs from one machine to another?

What if a detector were designed to operate fully at optimum voltage? As the DC current dwindles, wouldn't the functionality of the machine decrease?

I might add too that I was trying just as hard before the new batteries were put into the detector. In fact, for about 45 minutes I wasn’t even thinking about any test. Inside I wanted to discover that the battery condition didn’t matter because I’m sick of buying so many batteries. But, unfortunately, in this case I was right. I’ve already ordered a battery quick charger for the 2500 mah batteries our Wal-Mart carries.

SUM: I think all this depends on the detector one is using and how it was engineered to function. Some may have been designed to work with much lower current than the batteries deliver at full charge. Others may need that peak current flow in order to deliver full performance. Testing ones machine is the only way to know for sure.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Badger, you might be right on the part about it depends on the detector. I have a White's Classic III that is all "analog". I will have to do a test with it in my coin garden. Fresh vs Low Batt. I can see for "cheaper" detectors eliminating the regulator - regulators waste power and drain batteries quicker. Not what you want in a portable electronics device.

PS - I like your signature. Depth of coins dug is like a fish story. ;D :D

HH
Mirage

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

I'll also have to disagree about the fresh battery theory. I have an MXT and my 1825 George IV gold sovereign and my 1795 Large Cent were found with less than fresh batteries.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

bookfisher said:
I'll also have to disagree about the fresh battery theory. I have an MXT and my 1825 George IV gold sovereign and my 1796 Large Cent were found with less than fresh batteries.

Hi and thanks for your comment.

One may not need totally fresh batteries for optimum functionality. That wasn't my point. What I'm saying is run-down batteries MAY reduce functionality.

There are tests being done at this time and so far they are proving that battery condition does affect detector operation.

All machines are designed to operate at optimum with a certain level of current flow. Get below that needed level of current and functionality suffers.

This is true in any electronic device.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to agree to some point on new batteries. I agree that new batteries
are always a great help. I have been hunting several years now and I always
like to make sure I have a pretty good set of batteries in my detector. I also
like to use Alkaline batteries.

I have tried the rechargeable batteries but I don't think they are as good as
brand new batteries. I agree that they save money, but they don't stay
charged that long and when I'm in a field along ways from my van, it's a
long walk back for new batteries. With a new set of batteries, you don't have
to carry batteries with you if the go down. I guess if you don't plan to hunt
very long the rechargeables are fine. But, heck if I find anything good at
a site, I'm usually their untill I can' t walk or dig anymore. LOL

Well HH, Ringfinder

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree 100% MB. I've noticed increased production from my ACE250 for the first couple of hours after a bettery change.

S

southbound

Good theory! Must try it myself. Congrats on the finds.
Vern

Z

ZumbroKid

Badger might be right, as i remember the day i detected and found that Dahlonega gold coin with my radio shack detector, i had not hunted for a week due to frozen ground. I had recharged the batteries and found it the first swing over that unhunted spot.

Smartin

Feb 4, 2006
Kingston, Tennessee

Badger,

I'll agree with you about the fresh batteries (especially if using alkaline ), I also agree with Mirage. There has to be a linear regulator for the correct voltage. I also have a electronics degree (EET). Alkaline batteries come out of the box around 1.54 to 1.6 volts (AA batteries), Nimh are around 1.45V fully charged. So if using 8 batteries you multiply the voltage by the number batteries used ( not always true, cause not all are in series, but that would not be the norm for most machines). As you see if using Nimh batteries you'll start with 11.6 volts, not 12v for 12v system, or if using alkaline you start with 12.8v. The decline in voltage will vary most with the alkaline, the Nimh will maintain voltage for much longer periods but starts at a lower voltage to begin with.

Some digital cameras will not operate on Nimh batteries for this reason of a small voltage variance.

So, the machine you use most likely determines if fresh batteries make a difference and the type of batteries used. The miliamp/h rating on Nimh only determines how long they will sustain the desired output, this will vary according to your machines power consumtion.

Let me add, I recently bought Nimh batteries and one was bad (out of 16) this caused alot of grief. I didn't know until I was 5 min into a hunt that was 2hrs from home.

Sorry for the long post, but thought it might be of some help,

HH,
Smartin

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Smartin said:
Badger,

I'll agree with you about the fresh batteries (especially if using alkaline ), I also agree with Mirage. There has to be a linear regulator for the correct voltage. I also have a electronics degree (EET). Alkaline batteries come out of the box around 1.54 to 1.6 volts (AA batteries), Nimh are around 1.45V fully charged. So if using 8 batteries you multiply the voltage by the number batteries used ( not always true, cause not all are in series, but that would not be the norm for most machines). As you see if using Nimh batteries you'll start with 11.6 volts, not 12v for 12v system, or if using alkaline you start with 12.8v. The decline in voltage will vary most with the alkaline, the Nimh will maintain voltage for much longer periods but starts at a lower voltage to begin with.

Some digital cameras will not operate on Nimh batteries for this reason of a small voltage variance.

So, the machine you use most likely determines if fresh batteries make a difference and the type of batteries used. The miliamp/h rating on Nimh only determines how long they will sustain the desired output, this will vary according to your machines power consummation.

Let me add, I recently bought Nimh batteries and one was bad (out of 16) this caused alot of grief. I didn't know until I was 5 min into a hunt that was 2hrs from home.

Sorry for the long post, but thought it might be of some help,

HH,
Smartin

Hey Smartin, you can post all you want! Very excellent!

I change machines more often than I should but right now I'm using the Tesoro DeLeon which uses 8 AA batteries. For some reason in my area it's a killer.

Anyway, I tried the Nimh batteries and the battery check measured 3 bars low which means the power is too low for the machine to work properly. I found that it had extremely poor depth and was unstable. So, I've gone back to the Alkalines.

I sure wish the recharegables would work because the DeLeon eats batteries like I eat donuts. I only get 6 to 7 hours of prime hunting off a fresh set of Alkalines. The machine will keep working but the target separation abilities will be awful. The machine gets sluggish and misses lots of smaller targets.

But, with new batteries for about 6 hours this baby is unsurpassed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread