MX5 users sound off

MrDude

Greenie
Sep 19, 2008
The unit is new and from what I've seen on the net is the reviews are split down the middle. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one.
Some of the reviews seem to be from sellers and other reviews seem to come from the competition.
I coin shoot local parks, play grounds and the occasional old home site and any where else people gather.
I currently own the F2 coin hog with so so depth and an M6 that seems to see everything in the ground to the point it can get overwhelming but has excellent depth.

So what about the MX5?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the price I'd get a regular MXT, you can get a new MXT around $700.00 from some dealers. I wouldn't over look getting a good used one either, I just like the way the M6 and MXT is built over the MX5. HH

Last edited:

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you have a machine with tones, it will be hard to live without, at least for me. I like to features of the mx5, I had an m6 and just sold it, one of them had to go.

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new MX5, SEF coil, and eclipse coil are on their way. Now to show some patience!! After quite a few great reviews it was an easy decision for me.

Last edited:

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned the MX5 for about a week now, and to be honest I'm not real sure what to make of it. Nothing really jumps out at me as a must have detector.

Things I like about it are being able to put it in sleep mode while recovering targets, it's lighter than their other M series detectors, menu is easy to navigate, spider coil, excellent construction, shares coils with their higher end machines.

Two things I don't like are the PP button and the screw in connection for the coil. The PP button is press release which I had a really hard time getting use to. If you hold down to long it goes into A/M. The screw in connection for the coil is poorly placed. It's hard to get your fingers in there to tighten the collar.

My first day out with it got a little frustrating because the threshold was full of static and constantly grew louder as I hunted, causing me to have to keep turning it down and ground balancing. I was also put off by the fact that it struggled to lock on to a copper penny at 6”. That should have been a breeze for a $540 machine.

Later hunts went a lot better, the threshold seemed to have calmed down and I was able to run the sens higher. That first day could have been me being new to the machine.

I've found a quite a few nickels with it, all though I don't know why, because it doesn't give steady numbers or a constant sound unless the nickel is laying right on the surface. It gives a solid 20 for surface nickels deeper nickels give choppy sounds with TID jumping between foil and pull tabs. I dug when the numbers 18-20 showed up. Pull tabs on the other hand gave steady numbers, go figure.

If I think of anything else I'll post.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my XLT I find it gives diff, VDI #s on Pulltabs from say 10-35 Depending on the type of pull tab ,it's level of Corrosion , it's shape 'is the beaver tail folded into the Circle ? & the Depth.

IMO If you want Gold & nicks Dig Everything in that range or just dig Everything.

Davers

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am really liking my new MX5. I have it setup with the SEF 10X12 coil. It is a tad heavy but definitely worth the results. I have pulled 5 coins so far at 9"+. This is the first time I have ever used a DD coil and really liking it.

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Received a nice used MX5 this afternoon, and used it for only a few minutes in my yard and the neighbors yard and found 5 clad dimes, 1 nickel, and 12 cents. Looking forward tomorrow and the next few days to hunting old sites, that my hunting buddy and I have "so-called" cleaned out with our lower price mid-range metal detectors, to see what we have missed......In my test garden using the 8 tones, I did notice that the MX5 did excellent in VDI numbers up to 9" to 10" on buried dimes, and even broken high tones at 11" and 12" on same targets, but no VDI numbers showing.....so I guess I will be digging ALL high tone squeaks, regardless of VDI numbers showing.....hope to find some deep silver over the next few days.....will keep you posted, as I continue to learn the MX5 .....Happy Hunting.

9/11 - Hunted a 1905 small home lot....found 2 clad quarters, 2 clad dimes, 4 cents(1 was 1949-D wheat).....and my first Large Copper, 1863 10-centismi Italy coin, will try to get some pictures up later, next day out will be Sunday 9/14.....HH.

9/13 - Hunted an 1830's school baseball diamond area.....found an 1883 Indian Head cent, and a few other modern clad......hope to do better next week.....I want to find old silver coins, so looking for deep high tone targets mostly....HH.

9/19 - Found 7 Liberty V Nickels today......see full story under "today finds" forum: click on this link:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...urn-pit-results-12-old-liberty-v-nickels.html ........HH.

9/21 - Found my 1st deeper silver coin with the MX5.....a 1943 mercury dime at an older site. Also found 4 clad quarters, 8 clad dimes, 3 Jeff. nickels and 8 memorial cents......dug a 6 inch plug and was still in the hole at about 2 more inches.......it was a very solid, clear signal with 77-78 on the VDI.....very happy with the MX5 and the very deep VDI numbers and accuracy.....HH
002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Bill

Last edited:

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first day out with it got a little frustrating because the threshold was full of static and constantly grew louder as I hunted, causing me to have to keep turning it down and ground balancing.
The precise reason why I parted with mine. The threshold would cause you to lose your mind about midway through the day. Erratic, sputtery and intolerable. Not to mention sometimes you'd have the threshold set to "1", sometimes "13" - it varied every time I turned it on. I got used to it and found some good stuff but it needs a little refinement. Another gripe? The headphone jack on the right side of the display. Why can't White's move it to the back of the battery box like their classic design?

I didn't have any ID issues. Just the typical digital behavior - no target separation even with the 5.3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread