MXT coil upgrade

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
I have the 6x10 DD on my MXT right now but I just ordered the 10" DD excelerater coil from kellyco.
From what I read, it seems to be the better coil. At 160.00 you can't beat the price and it's plenty big enough and will go plenty deep enough to meet your needs. Just my opinion. Happy hunting

Sniper

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Redfoot, what type of environment are you detecting in? Parks with a lot of trash or in forest with trees? How about beaches or parks? Hunt in hunted out areas? Have to ask yourself these and others before you purchase new head. Have you thought about a Jimmy Sierra head? I use a 'Big Foot' and love it for detecting parks and such.

Hope this helps
49er

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 712
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 712
OP
OP
Redfoot

Redfoot

Jul 12, 2006
Nashville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Ace 250
I do alot of school and parks. But from time to time I will hit a beach or wooded area. Not sure if the places I go get hit or not. Only been doing this for a couple of years. Not full time or anything just half dozen times a month or so.

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
The White's 5.3 or the 4x6 would prob. be the best choice for the parks and playgrounds. Wooded areas I myself would go with the 6x10 DD or the 10" DD.
Just my honest opinion.

Sniper

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Red, I use the 6X10 DD on my DFX. I really like it and find all kinds of things
with it. Just alittle "learning curve" on how to pinpoint correctly. I am now
getting the smaller "DD" coil to go with it. I think that will help in real "trashy"
areas.

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I just bought a used 6x10 DD for my MXT. Have used it a couple of times, so far I like it. Biggest thing I notice is it runs more stable and seems to be quieter. I am thinking because of the knife edge search pattern versus the round/conical of the 9.5. Seperates alot better, of course thats what the DD's are designed for. I have not made up my mind on depth though. I think the 9.5 is a bit deeper in non mineralized soil. I have not tried it in large areas with ground reading mineralization 70+. I did go to a sledding hill that I tried before when I first bought the detector this time last year. I spent alot of time there and thought I would have cleaned it up, ended finding 3-4 dimes and a bunch of pennies that were 4-5 inches. I would still like to try the 10DD. I do mostly woods and feilds so I think the 10DD would be a bit harder to use given the open coil design.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I had an MXT a while back the 6x10 was my favorite coil by far. Separating abilities were pretty good. One time I was hunting an area were I was able to kick up the gain to almost +2 and I dug up an old rusty door hinge at a measured 12". I had the MXT for almost 5 years and can't begin to tell you how many coins I found with the 6x10. You can't go wrong with it.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
sniper19612003 said:
I have the 6x10 DD on my MXT right now but I just ordered the 10" DD excelerater coil from kellyco.
From what I read, it seems to be the better coil. At 160.00 you can't beat the price and it's plenty big enough and will go plenty deep enough to meet your needs. Just my opinion. Happy hunting

Sniper

I'm thinking of getting that excelerator coil too . . .
Let us know how you like it once you've tried it out. 8)

As for the original post - yeah, that 6x10 in DD coil is pretty much everyone's
favorite. In my club, about half of the folks use an MXT, and
of them, I'd say 90% use the 6x10DD. It's light weight, works well,
and is good at pinpointing. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread