MXT for all, or XLT for one + one

JamesE

I've been prospecting the old way for quite a while.
Wantin' to switch to electronic prospecting and MD'ing. I've been trying to pick up on everything anybody here and elsewhere has to offer.
Question is:
Would a White's MXT (instead of my XLT) with a stock, DD coil, and a larger 12'' or 14'', be the most versatile, and let me hunt nuggets, coins, and caches and ghost towns, with 1 detector.
Much as I don't want own 3 different machines, is 3 still the best solution?
OK, you guys with actual experience, am I on the right track, Can I do all of this with the MXT and extra coils? Drawbacks? Pros? Cons?? Or keep my XLT and buy a nugget hunter? Haven't tried nugget hunting with the XLT, reading says it's a second best even with a DD, opinions please? ???
JIM

Upvote 0

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Proud new owner of a MXT......I didn't like the DFX.......instead of spending $$$'s on a new machine buy a gold hunting coil for your machine. I've been told the MXT loves gold. ;)

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the XLT has a 15 inch coil available and i use XLT it has a pre program for gold.

Willy

MXT, hands down. I had one and found a heap of nuggets with it; down to 1/3 grain with the 5x10" DD. The XTerra 70 with HF DD coil is also a bang-up prospecting detector and IMO a better coin/ring/relic machine. ..Willy.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
mxt would be great, but the minelab xterra 70 is also very hot on gold and quite versitale , lighter, different frequency coils available

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about the X-Terra but I do own the X.L.T,M.X.T,and The G.M.T,the X.L.T does have a program but is not a gold machine regardless of the coil you put on it.The M.X.T. however is a awesome all around machine I use it for coins,relics and gold.

OP
OP
JamesE

JamesE

Hi all, I ended up getting an MXT with a DD and a 12'' Excelerator, mostly cuz it was less money, the longer battery life, higher frequency, and I prefer knobs to push pads. The plan is to sell my house in the Spring and go back to wandering , as least that's the plan if my health doesn't get worse. I travel in a regular van so not a lot of room for duplicates of everything.
I sure do thank everybody for their time and advice, nimby (cuz' it's under a foot of snow)......

Willy

Great idea! Once you get bitten by the travelling bug, it's hard to stop. I've been living on the road for the last 22years (since I was 20) and it's been the greatest. I've also met many others (mostly retired) who now do the same. Most of them seem to have one major regret.. that they didn't do it much, much sooner. ..Willy.

OP
OP
JamesE

JamesE

Thanks to everyone for their input :),
Willy, if you have the time, I'd like to hear what you roam in and how it works for you. I've stayed up in the hills inCA for 2 and 3 weeks at a time, but always had the fall back of an apartment to go "home" to.
I'm considering if I only have the van, it's likely to get small quick. Been thinking of 30' or less RV or 5th wheel and 4WD. Would you, and everybody like to offer insight and advice.
Almost seems this could be a whole new thread or forum or whatever a subject division is, there's alot of us baby boomers on the horizon.
Anybody know if there's an advantage to becoming an Oregon resident for these purposes. Or which state?
I poked around on the AARP site, almost looks deserted, ??? Thanks to everybody, Jim

Willy

Go for a truck/camper combo or a van (4x4 preferred). An RV is nice and luxurious, but if you want to get off the highway it's gonna kill ya. You just can't go anyplace truly interesting with an RV (as I define interesting). A 3/4- 1 ton 4x4 truck will haul a nice camper (or mid-size trailer) up into some beautiful country and you'll have plenty of room. I basically live year-round in (at the moment) my camper/trailer. I jury-rigged up a trailer from an old camper that was given to me and will, in the summer, build a proper trailer outta it. It will only be about 9' long (living area), but that's plenty. ..Willy.

OP
OP
JamesE

JamesE

I'm not too partial to an RV either cuz of MPG and size and needing another thing to get around in when 'camped'.
I'm leaning towards just going with what I got, a Ford XLT with the seats out. That factory interior takes about 8-10'' out of the width in the rear, gonna' rip it out I guess. Plan to add a hitch mounted tool box for storage. Maybe a roof top box, etc....
Dang if a short 5th wheel and 4WD isn't just soo dang tempting, but usually I go with cheap and simple. Less headaches. jim

Willy

A lot of those campers come with toilets (they even flush) though I prefer to use the 2 piece pota-pooties. I don't like having to fool around with hoses and holding tanks and I can dump a porta-pot into a regular toilet.. don't have to use a sani-dump. Another nice thing about a porta-pottie is that I can inflict a gruesome revenge unto whomever ticks me off sufficiently. Keep your windows rolled up evildoers 'cause your gonna be in a world of $hit! ..Willy.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
JamesE said:
There ya go. I'm going to put a remote on the valve for the black water tank.
I'm OK with the 5 Gal. bucket or a hole in the ground, even if not PC.
It's the shower I want. (in the desert) jim

I'll hang with that James....
EZ enough to drop a load in a bucket,
but a GI bath ain't so great...
rmptr

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I started with a pop-up camper pulled behind my Subaru Outback. When I get back to WA I want about a 25' trailer and a diesel PU. Between the PU to get around, and the camper I (and my 2 kids) should be pretty comfy.

OP
OP
JamesE

JamesE

I've been kinda' thinking along those lines, been talking to someone that has a similar for sale. but it's a little early for me to buy, may not get to use it for a while. And God knows I like things simple, I don't have to consider kids and wife.
Kelleys' idea of the PU slide in would work for me if I could get it off the truck on jacks easy enough and use the truck separatley.
Going to stick with the van while I have to be here in IA and just doing short stays. Then go buy in a retirement area, it's sad but true that older folks in retirement havens sell cheap as they get too old to use them. :(
There were some really good deals when I was in FL last year, same in AZ from looking at classifieds.
jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread