MXT Pro or X-TERRA 705?

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI All,

I have been reading and hearing a lot of good things about these detectors, if you could have only one, which would it be and why? what makes the one better than the other?

Thanks for the input,

HH

PTP

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And made in the USA! :icon_thumright:
Outstanding customer support also.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're really still considering the MXT Pro...

Some discussion here on the same two units.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/head-head-comparisons/302499-xterra-705-vs-mxt-mxt-pro.html

I have zero time on the 705 but I'm quite comfortable w/my MXTP & doubt I can be totally unbiased. But here it is anyway...

The MXTP is no lightweight. It comes in around 4.5lbs or 2kilos. I'm sure the 705 is about a pound/.5kilos lighter.
Batteries were brought up in another thread. Dunno what the ML uses but the MXTP will get over 40hrs on a good set of Duracells (The US ones, not the Chinese ones)
Both are single freq VLFs with the 705 having the capability to change freqs with a coil change. I'm not sold on one freq being better than another for most practical general hunting. Some will see this as an advantage. I'd take it with a grain of salt.
Here is some good reading on freqs. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/304505-md-frequencies-better-what.html

Modes and tones: 705 has 8or9 different search modes I think. The MXTP has 3. How many does one need? How many would one use? I don't know what the 705 modes are but swapping modes isn't gunna make it a magic wand for each one. One could argue that the more modes the less specialized. Same with tones. The 705 has quite a few (20+) and the MXTP has 7. I'm sure that there are people out there that will claim they can distinguish all 20+ tone and they use em all. 7 is enough for me. One good thing about the tones on the 705, they don't have that rэtarded long fluty business like their E-Trac (which I've had).
Depth: I've dug a BB at exactly 9". Small buttons at the same or greater depths. Yes the MXTP is a deep machine and tuned well for finding small items. Can the 705 match/beat? I can't say.

The MXTP is a great machine and someone would have to SHOW me (I'm not from Missouri) how the 705 is the better unit. People can compare features all day long and write this and that all they want. At the end of the day it's put up or shut up (figuratively speaking). The MXT/P are powerful proven machines with a great company that stands behind their products with first rate customer service.
I'm sure the 705 is a good machine as well. Is it as good as the MXTP? Dunno!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can not speak for the Minelab but the MXT PRO is an awesome machine. Each is a different machine and both will probably work for you. What kind of hunting are you going to be doing? I know relic hunting in Virginia the Minelabs don't do so well in the hot soil other than the GPX machines. For coin hunting both will find coins. Coils are a big difference. I like the SEF coils. Buying a metal detector is like buying a car. Some like Fords and others like Chevy's. Choose what you like and do not let someone pressure you into a machine unless you have done your research. Try to get a hands on from a dealer if you can. Good luck and which ever machine you get take the time to really know it.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is made in Singapore and the MXT Pro is made in Sweet Home Oregon, I don't have either but I do have the MXT and it's an awesome detector.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a xterra 505 and have found a lot of great things BUT,,, if I knew what I know now I wouldve bought a WHITES. I love my minelab and have had ZERO trouble out of it but WHITES in my opinion is top of the line, I hear stories of great customer service, machines lasting 10-20 years. I dont own a WHITES but I do own a minelab and if I bought one right now it will be a WHITES. Actually if you check my page out in a couple of weeks youll see a new DFX or V3I on my page. JUST MY OPINION so Minelab users dont bash me too bad.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really should verify your information. Minelab produces nothing more in Singapore than Whites does.

He probably meant Malaysia. Only a stones throw away from Singapore.

Quote taken directly from ML website.

"Minelab Products are only Made by Minelab in Australia or by Plexus Corp, USA in their facility in Malaysia."

Hopefully that qualifies as verified.

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now who in the hell am I to say???? I don't own either one of these and have not gotten to try them either. I have been researching and making phone calls for months. About a month back I asked and pondered this same question. Much like Pulltab. I am buying another couple of detectors and want big bang for my hard earned buck. From people I have called and talked to that own one or the other and also from what I have read:

Xterra- not chatty, decent to great depth, flexible hunter with the different freq coil changes(not all the coils are submersible). (kinda like that 3KHz coil option) super easy to set-up and use. Additional coils seem a little pricey to me. Haven't found anybody complain about one yet. Obviously a great detector for the price!

MXT Pro- excellent depth, guys that use em swear by em period. (much like the 705 guys) Tons of coils available for these units gives you tons of options. A little bit heavier but it's not noticeable because it's extremely well balanced. Built like a high quality tank (not saying there is anything wrong with the 705's build). It is an analog digital hybrid, has knobs over push buttons, some prefer this. Some say it can be a little chatty. To me chatty means good things because it means sensitive receiver with max depth. Some don't like that background noise. Super easy to set-up and use. Back lit display. Obviously a great detector for the price!

Orgin: One is the US, the other is overseas.

Then you can add a MXT, M6 F70, F5, Vaquero, Outlaw, Omega 8000 and many more to this list and research them to death trying to find every and anything wrong with them (I have!). What I have finally concluded is they are all great detectors some just seem to lend themselves better to peoples needs and methods of hunting. Depths on all these single freq. VLF detectors are pretty close with an inch or two of each other. The FCC limits max transmit power. All the receivers are capable of good/max gain. (At some point there is diminishing returns on excessive gain). So after the receiver we can do some digital filter or digital magic, but all in all they are pretty close in depth and probably have been for many years now.

So anyways, I pretty much have my mind made up on which one I am going to get,,,,,,, BUT on the day I purchase if I find a good/great deal on one the those others--- anything is possible!! The bottom line is I will learn the one I buy inside out and become and expert with it and someday you will be asking my opinion of it!

I don't think you would go wrong with either on of these. Just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread