My $10 solution to problem of remote popping off easily

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know most won't have this problem but also I know several that do. This simple fix completely eliminates the problem while still allowing me to use the 3 x 5 ziplock bag remedy that ColonelDan came up with some months ago:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/440461-diy-control-box-cover.html

Aside from the little baggies you'll need an office bundling clip with the swiveling arms available at an office supply store, a piece of super velco which I got at Home Depot and the velcro tie which I found on ebay for like $3 a dozen shipped. Home depot likely has these too.

1st thing is to move the serial number sticker to the top of the remote. It comes off easily and re-sticks with no issue. 2. Cut the bundling clip as pictured. I used a dremel to both cut it and grind down the burs. 3. Affix super velcro to remote (just above clip mould) and bundling clip and snap together as shown. Since the clip swivels you can still put this setup in your pants pocket if need be. It also allows you to still put the remote into the 3 x 5 baggie. Tight fit but works no problem. 4. Clip remote onto housing and flip bundler arm down. 5. Thread velcro tie through clip and around shaft and make sure taut.

Viola - easy peasy.

Attachments

• CIMG5328.JPG
    CIMG5328.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 162
  • CIMG5329.JPG
    CIMG5329.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 158
  • CIMG5330.JPG
    CIMG5330.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 159
  • CIMG5332.JPG
    CIMG5332.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 146
  • CIMG5333.JPG
    CIMG5333.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 179
  • CIMG5334.JPG
    CIMG5334.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 166
  • CIMG5335.JPG
    CIMG5335.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 161
  • CIMG5336.JPG
    CIMG5336.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 163
  • CIMG5337.JPG
    CIMG5337.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 178
  • CIMG5340.JPG
    CIMG5340.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 159
  • CIMG5341.JPG
    CIMG5341.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 164
  • CIMG5342.JPG
    CIMG5342.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 158
  • CIMG5343.JPG
    CIMG5343.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 166
  • CIMG5350.JPG
    CIMG5350.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 179

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's simple, I have all of those parts, and I like it. How old is your Deus? I haven't had any problems with the remote coming off.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks rock solid! Great idea, but.....unless your pockets are deep, if it were mine I'd send it in - the thought of my $800 controller falling off and with my luck, hitting a rock just right to send it into 1,000 pieces or landing in that one puddle in the field.........

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My oldest Deus is less than 6 mo old. My wifes is only a few months. But this is an inexpensive solid fix and those things won't come off now. Some guys are just rougher on stuff and thats def me so sending them in won't help I'm afraid.

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put mine in one of the Aryca Wave boxes to protect it, but had some problems with it coming off so I made a lanyard to keep it attached to the stem.

20150224_172929[1].jpg

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
462 that is a good fix and I tried that too but with my bad shoulder it added just enough weight coupled with the 13" coil to cause me problems after a few hours. I like that Aryca membrane for adjusting the remote even better than the baggie.

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I'm not the only one having a problem. I seem to slide my hand up at times and it hits bottom of control box knocking it loose. Been worried I was gonna lose it in the woods. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad I'm not the only one having a problem. I seem to slide my hand up at times and it hits bottom of control box knocking it loose. Been worried I was gonna lose it in the woods. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I generally get 2 responses when I tell people my remotes fall off all the time. 1. WTF? 2. What you just wrote.

:occasion14:

ColonelDan

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm sorta evolving into the preferred set up as follows: The control box in the baggie as Cross Potent linked to above and the box is then inside the leather carrying case that came with the system. The case is then attached to my belt or the straps of my hydration pack. Anytime I want to change the settings, I simply open the case as designed and make the changes. Since I prefer tones to VID, that set up takes ALL the weight off the shaft and is very convenient for me. As I always say however, that's just the view from my foxhole.

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ColonelDan,
Thank you for your Service Sir!!! Airborne & Air Assault... I'm currently Serving in the 173rd IBCT(A) in Vicenza, Italy!!!! I am a CW2(P)..... God Bless....

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice mod! I havent seen this problem before on any of ours. I will pay more attention.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is the BEST TETHER for the XP DEUS. $10

XP Deus Control unit Tether - Detecting Doodads

Thanks for the link. I hadnt seen that. Thats a very neat item but it wouldnt solve the problem of the remote falling off. Even with that gizmo I'd spend my day clipping a dangling remote back on. It would however keep the remote from hitting the ground and getting damaged or worse, lost. I haven't knocked my remotes off once since making my changes above.

I just wanted to add that its pretty ridiculous for Deus users to have to come up with all these bandaids to tweak its Mickey Mouse build. That'll likely piss off some folks but it needs to be said. When you see a whole host of adds for cases and straps and a myriad of Youtube videos of user fix-its, well, its time to address the problem! As far as I am concerned the Deus has the best, most sophisticated, yet easy to use interface of any detector I've ever owned. But the lack of waterproofing and clumsiness of that same remote is equally as bad. Especially when you consider the unit is made to be used outside in the elements and in the dirt.

HEY XP...WATERPROOF THIS REMOTE AND HAVE AN ENGINEER COME UP WITH A BETTER LOCKING MECHANISM! IT WAS TIME FOR IT YEARS AGO!

/RANT OFF

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorta evolving into the preferred set up as follows: The control box in the baggie as Cross Potent linked to above and the box is then inside the leather carrying case that came with the system. The case is then attached to my belt or the straps of my hydration pack. Anytime I want to change the settings, I simply open the case as designed and make the changes. Since I prefer tones to VID, that set up takes ALL the weight off the shaft and is very convenient for me. As I always say however, that's just the view from my foxhole.

This is sort of how I do it. I set mine up with tones, and slip the remote in my pocket. Done. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread