My 1st Barber Quarter!!! Is it Counterfeit???

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1st Barber Quarter! Is it Counterfeit? **UPDATED**

Well Folks, in my ten years of detecting I’ve never dug a Barber Quarter.
Not sure if this crusty example qualifies or not? This is really The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of coin finds.

I went out today knocking on some doors around town trying to score a place to detect.
After about eight houses with no one home, I finally got permission to detect only the front yard (back yard had a dog) of a 1901 house.
After digging nothing but crappe’ for about an hour, I got a signal under a large pine out in the front corner of the lawn. It wasn’t even a good signal, but by this time I was desperate. The dirt was very dry and the pine roots were everywhere. I kept at it, and kept at it until I finally got the item out of the hole. Unfortunately, it snapped in half due to yours truly prying away at the roots. I didn’t have my pin pointer today, because I had to send it back. :BangHead:

I thought I had dug some sort of aluminum token at first, but it weighed too much to be aluminum. I had no idea what I had so I put it in my pouch. When I got home I cleaned it off with some water and saw a reeded edge and a date of “1895(?)” on it. I saw “Quarter Dollar” on it and some other details but still had no idea? :dontknow: I pulled out my trusty coin book and figured out it was a Barber Quarter! Yahoo!!!

Now for the questions:
1) Why does this coin not look like silver? It can be cracked in half like old pewter or lead. It has more of a white chalky appearance.

2) Why is it larger in diameter than a silver Washington quarter? They should both be 24.3mm.

3) The diameter of the Barber is larger than the Washington, but as you can see, it weighs LESS. Should be 6.25 g.

4) Was this a counterfeit coin, or was it toasted in a fire perhaps? Would a silver coin grow to this size and also crumble?

5) Does it look like 1895? 1893? Or 1899? I think it’s 1895.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I’m not sure if this coin should count as my first ever Barber quarter?

Thanks for looking,
MM

11/17/2013 ***UPDATE***
O.K. Folks, I received the silver test kit in the mail and conducted the test to find out if this crusty looking over-sized Barber quarter was:
1) Previously in a fire causing this kind of damage, or
2) A counterfeit made of some other type of metal.
Drum roll please..........
Actually, I didn't have a drum, but attached is a video of the actual test done, and a photo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wzfAKuqug&feature=youtu.be

Thank to all of you for your guesses, info, and input on this mystery coin.
I guess I CAN finally cross a real Barber quarter off my list.
-MM-
:thumbsup:

11/18/2013 ***Another UPDATE***
Well, here's the results of me filing two areas on the Barber. I filed the inside edge and a corner of the back of the coin. I included a filed down Merc dime for a color comparison, since it's tough to tell in the photos.
I guess now we know what can happen to a toasted silver coin. It's kind of like a apple turnover. Crusty on the outside and sweet in the middle.
tongue3.gif

-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-054F.JPG
    MVC-054F.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 322
  • MVC-055F.JPG
    MVC-055F.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 300
  • MVC-056F.JPG
    MVC-056F.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 281
  • MVC-057F.JPG
    MVC-057F.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 259
  • MVC-058F.JPG
    MVC-058F.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 260
  • MVC-063F.JPG
    MVC-063F.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 220
  • MVC-062F.JPG
    MVC-062F.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 230
  • MVC-061F.JPG
    MVC-061F.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 219
  • MVC-060F.JPG
    MVC-060F.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 260
  • MVC-059F.JPG
    MVC-059F.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Upvote 5

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is easily a contemporary counterfeit. It looks like it is made of pewter, which will disintegrate like your specimen in acidic soil. I have never seen silver decrepitate like that.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is easily a contemporary counterfeit. It looks like it is made of pewter, which will disintegrate like your specimen in acidic soil. I have never seen silver decrepitate like that.

Thanks Smokey. :thumbsup: I just couldn't believe someone would waste their time counterfeiting a quarter. :icon_scratch:
-MM-

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back then a quarter would buy a lot. And they probably made a LOT of them, not just one. I remember Cokes for 25 cents, gas for 33 cents a gallon and cigarettes for around 33 cents a pack. And I'm not all that old......at least that's what my cat tells me. I remember the $8 phone bill, and the GOOD jacket for $12.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting. on one hand it looks like a counterfeit, on another it looks like extreme fire damage

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I wouldn't be so quick to discount it as counterfeit. Fire damage seems the most likely, as it has the obvious appearance of a fire damaged silver coin. Fire will distort the surfaces and also make the metal brittle. Either way it is a nice find.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't be so quick to discount it as counterfeit. Fire damage seems the most likely, as it has the obvious appearance of a fire damaged silver coin. Fire will distort the surfaces and also make the metal brittle. Either way it is a nice find.

Thanks Nick.
What's weird is the lettering and date are still nice and sharp. It looks like only the center is toast. It is still the same thickness as a Washington quarter, so it didn't thin out if under heat. :dontknow:
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting. on one hand it looks like a counterfeit, on another it looks like extreme fire damage

I found this info:
Melting point
1,763°F (961.8°C) Silver

I would think if it was in a fire it would have still remained as silver at least. :icon_scratch:
-MM-

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found fire damaged coins and this one looks similar......BillT.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did it ring in on your machine? take it to a pawn shop to test if its silver...

Perses,
It rang up as "beep". I was using my Tesoro Vaquero. :tongue3:
I think a pawn shop would throw me out if I showed up with this coin. LOL
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU dug a fakola coin. How ironic-LOL. HH, Q.

Ha, ha, ha. Remember years ago I dug the counterfeit 8 reale. Why can't I find REAL old coins. :tongue3:
Go tend to those cows Farmer Q. :thumbsup: Keep Dman away from them too.
-DUHg-

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if its a counterfeit it's an awesome find! Makes a better conversation piece

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found fire damaged coins and this one looks similar......BillT.

Thanks Bill. Were there any silver ones? Did the silver turn this color and brittle?
Thanks,
MM

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if its a counterfeit it's an awesome find! Makes a better conversation piece

I totally agree Mangum. :thumbsup: It may take me another 10 years to find a real silver Barber quarter, but if it's counterfeit it will probably be a one time deal. Actually more interesting.
-MM-

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill. Were there any silver ones? Did the silver turn this color and brittle?
Thanks,
MM
Yes They are silver,they are still more silver grey and not brittle, also warped bad...The small bumpy spots are what look similar, yours has a look like its been in a fire or heated..Not sure after a closer look....BillT. I tried to post a pic could not figure it out....

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 110
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    529.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes They are silver,they are still more silver grey and not brittle, also warped bad...The small bumpy spots are what look similar, yours has a look like its been in a fire or heated..Not sure after a closer look....BillT. I tried to post a pic could not figure it out....

Thanks for your input and help Bill. Greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
If you took one of those toasted coins that you posted, would you be able to snap it in half easily?
That's how mine is.
Any idea what those toasted coins of yours are? :icon_scratch:
-MM-

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a fire damaged genuine coin - the cracking has me stumped , heat alone wouldn't account for that - it would need a very sudden
cold quench while it was still very hot (900-1500 degrees f. ?) - if people were pumping cold well water and pitching it on their burning
property I think you can create a plausible scenario that covers this - maybe - I'm a bit bothered by the expansion too - I've heated .900
(coin silver ) and haven't witnessed a noticeable increase in diameter . Curious to hear some more ideas about this one ! two more things
occur to me - you should be able to get this acid tested easily enough - your picture accounts for the weight discrepancy - there's a
massive chunk missing . Let us know how it tests .

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a fire damaged genuine coin - the cracking has me stumped , heat alone wouldn't account for that - it would need a very sudden
cold quench while it was still very hot (900-1500 degrees f. ?) - if people were pumping cold well water and pitching it on their burning
property I think you can create a plausible scenario that covers this - maybe - I'm a bit bothered by the expansion too - I've heated .900
(coin silver ) and haven't witnessed a noticeable increase in diameter .
Curious to hear some more ideas about this one ! two more things
occur to me - you should be able to get this acid tested easily enough - your picture accounts for the weight discrepancy - there's a
massive chunk missing . Let us know how it tests .

Thanks for the great info Argentium. :thumbsup: The diameter has me puzzled too. I didn't even think it was a quarter due to it's size.
I guess it's a neat find whether toasted or counterfeit. I'm not sure if I want to consider it my 1st Barber quarter. :tongue3:
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread