my bank calls me and says someone dropped off some halves.......

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
and i tell the girl i will come over at lunch time. i get there and the girl i spoke with starts to come out with 10 hand rolled rolls of halves. Another teller yells "what are you doing with them?" She says she sells me the halves. The other teller (who is new to the bank, being transfered from another branch) says that she called someone to come get them. The new teller was getting really combative towards my girl and the manager wound up going over to try to figure out what was going on. 10 minutes later some guy walks in and the new teller says "there's my guy" and we are all standing there. The manager wants to end this in an manner that all parties will be happy, and he comes to me and asks when my girl called me. i told him that she had someone deposit them thru her this morning and she immediately called me. She even put them in one of the big clear bank bags and wrote on thee bag "SAVE FOR (MY NAME). The new girl saw the halves and called the second guy after that. The manager says i should get the halves since i was called first, but the other customer was also called and would like to make it right to him too. i start talking to the guy and he is obnoxious towards me. i ask him if he know "TN" and he says "who????", so i know he is not someone on this forum. the manager asks me if we could split the rolls, and i was apprehensive since the guy was being a jerk, but i agreed. the guy whips out a check and starts to hand it to my teller for 5 rolls, and lo and behold, he has a joint account with the new teller. My teller told me this, and i said this is real BS and the manager heard me. He came back over and said that it was improper for her to do that and awarded me all the halves. i was happy with that decision. i am in this bank all the time, and i felt that since i was called first, i should have first right of refusal. Am i wrong??????? $100 in halves produced 26 40% and 2 90%. Each roll had silver in it......

Upvote 0
S

seger98

No you were right in getting ALL of them! Good bank manager there!

I'll bet the two tellers won't be getting along very well..

Chris

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Yay for once the good guy wins!!! I am tired of all this lets make everyone happy and not offend anyone Bull S%@#$ that goes on now a days. You end up with no one winning and everyone more pissed off than before. I am rambling but what I am trying to say is that teller was a B..... and got what she deserved.

-Golden Silver

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
golden silver said:
Yay for once the good guy wins!!! I am tired of all this lets make everyone happy and not offend anyone Bull S%@#$ that goes on now a days. You end up with no one winning and everyone more pissed off than before. I am rambling but what I am trying to say is that teller was a B..... and got what she deserved.

-Golden Silver

AMEN :icon_sunny:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
buffhunter said:
and i tell the girl i will come over at lunch time. i get there and the girl i spoke with starts to come out with 10 hand rolled rolls of halves. Another teller yells "what are you doing with them?" She says she sells me the halves. The other teller (who is new to the bank, being transfered from another branch) says that she called someone to come get them. The new teller was getting really combative towards my girl and the manager wound up going over to try to figure out what was going on. 10 minutes later some guy walks in and the new teller says "there's my guy" and we are all standing there. The manager wants to end this in an manner that all parties will be happy, and he comes to me and asks when my girl called me. i told him that she had someone deposit them thru her this morning and she immediately called me. She even put them in one of the big clear bank bags and wrote on thee bag "SAVE FOR (MY NAME). The new girl saw the halves and called the second guy after that. The manager says i should get the halves since i was called first, but the other customer was also called and would like to make it right to him too. i start talking to the guy and he is obnoxious towards me. i ask him if he know "TN" and he says "who????", so i know he is not someone on this forum. the manager asks me if we could split the rolls, and i was apprehensive since the guy was being a jerk, but i agreed. the guy whips out a check and starts to hand it to my teller for 5 rolls, and lo and behold, he has a joint account with the new teller. My teller told me this, and i said this is real BS and the manager heard me. He came back over and said that it was improper for her to do that and awarded me all the halves. i was happy with that decision. i am in this bank all the time, and i felt that since i was called first, i should have first right of refusal. Am i wrong??????? $100 in halves produced 26 40% and 2 90%. Each roll had silver in it......

I am glad you got the halves since you were called first and deserved them. But at the same time it amazes me all the drama that went on for some halves, what basically amounted to about $34 net value of silver.

This is why I stick to boxes. I buy them and they are sealed up. Nobody can claim them after I pay for them and haul them out the door. Nobody knows what is in the boxes until I open them up (except maybe for the Brinks guys at the factory).

I am surprised that your scenario happened over a measly 100 bucks worth of coins. CRHing must really be getting big for such things to occur.

Jim

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you did, I would have talked a little with him. If he was decent I'd split them but an obnoxious jerk, nope.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I think you handled it more diplomatically than most people would have. Thesecond teller clearly had no respect for anyone but herself. I hope the manager went one step further and provided some discipline with reguard to the matter.

Way to go on the silver too, not a bad haul :)

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
You were called first and you arrived at the bank first; therefore you deserved to buy all of the halves. Your name was even on the bag. The other teller was basically trying to pull a fast one. She has a right to buy halves if they someone brings them to her but she was poaching them from another teller that had already promised them to you. Not a very nice thing to do. It was nice that you had even agreed to split the halves with this man at first. I don't think I would have agreed to that especially if I had been called first. Congrats on the sliver!

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 branches that I visit weekly and purchase the cents and dimes that come from their coin machine.

Background - I've visited these 3 branches almost weekly for 3 years. The tellers are trained at the main branch and then typically move to a branch closer to their home area. So I get to know most of them pretty well at the main branch. They call when something special comes in (even the ones at branches not on my regular route). Of course I reward them with treats of various kinds and have even purchased a few gift cards for ones that give me calls about extra special purchases.

So when I walked into one a couple of months ago and made my request, the teller asked another teller to go to the vault with her. The other teller happened to be one I had never met. She tells the one waiting on me that there are no bags this week that she is keeping them all for herself. I was so stunned at what she said I simply turned around and walked out. My next stop was the main branch, so I told the operations manager there about what had happened. She said she would take care of it. I don't know what she told the folks at the other branch but now when I stop in the "new" teller not only helps but even carries bags to my car so I don't have to make more than 1 trip if there are a lot of bags:).

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
sometimes you gotta go over the tellers heads...it's not thier money and its not thier bank.....customers come first....glad the OM set things straight

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dandow20 said:
You should have opened the rolls in front of him, found a silver one, and flipped for it. That'd be classic!

Or you should have opened them up in front of him, found silver, and put it in your pocket and walked out.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that sucks, glad you got the rolls though!!!!! Great job on the silver too!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread