Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I researched it was made by George Rex a British inventor. The property I detect was owned by a office at one point and brought back a lot of trophies. I showed the guy who’s has detected this property all to himself for 15yrs and he said this. “I bet it came from the Battle of New Orleans! I have 4 buttons from that battle that I found there. I think that officer that lived there brought home a bunch of British trophies. Nice find I’d say made between 1800-1804!!!!!” Need advice on the next step after electrolysis to preserve it better. I hate how that brass key hole cover lost a green patina.

1.jpg 2.JPG 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I shined up the brass yes I can’t sleep damn insomnia. I’m wondering should I put the black shoe polish on it or leave in semi rusty. IMG_0012.JPG

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up liver of sulphur. If you used any kind of polish especially the stick polish for cloth wheels clean it with lacquer thinner or MEK to get the oils off. Even oil from your fingers will mess things up. Mix up a batch per the instructions. wipe it on & when the patina gets to where you want rinse it with water for a few seconds. Works very well once you get the hang of applying. WARNINGS - Mix & use outside! It stinks like a backed up drain. It doesn't really bother me too much. Keep your pets away. Dogs don't like the smell much but cats really really hate the stuff, and the wife will boot you out. If you buy a larger container of it, keep moisture out of it & even better, put a few of the silica gel packs that seem to come in all the electronics now. It'll keep it from going flat (if you dissolve it & it doesn't turn yellow it's flat). You can find liver of sulphur on amazon or if you have one close a jewelry supply shop. Another use is to restore some patina to copper coins you've cooked too much cleaning. I suggest practicing on pennies that have been in the tumbler a little too long before doing any coins of value. Hope that helps you out some & adds another restoration technique to your tool box.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been told to bake them in the oven to cook out any left over corrosives from your cleaning process. I’m doing the same thing with some canister shot I found.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth, Beautiful lock. I found one almost exactly like the one you have. Mine was from the CW era and the little brass key hole cover is stamped US where yours is stamped GB. If you want to further restore the lock and you don't mind the iron turning black, you could try the product Gempler's. It does a great job on iron and further treats and restores the iron. Check into it if you haven't already. There are some pretty cool videos on this product. Just a suggestion. Once again, Congrat's on one cool find.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking that the GR and the crown symbol would have to do with King George (III) ? "Georgius Rex"

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the preservation! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look up liver of sulphur. If you used any kind of polish especially the stick polish for cloth wheels clean it with lacquer thinner or MEK to get the oils off. Even oil from your fingers will mess things up. Mix up a batch per the instructions. wipe it on & when the patina gets to where you want rinse it with water for a few seconds. Works very well once you get the hang of applying. WARNINGS - Mix & use outside! It stinks like a backed up drain. It doesn't really bother me too much. Keep your pets away. Dogs don't like the smell much but cats really really hate the stuff, and the wife will boot you out. If you buy a larger container of it, keep moisture out of it & even better, put a few of the silica gel packs that seem to come in all the electronics now. It'll keep it from going flat (if you dissolve it & it doesn't turn yellow it's flat). You can find liver of sulphur on amazon or if you have one close a jewelry supply shop. Another use is to restore some patina to copper coins you've cooked too much cleaning. I suggest practicing on pennies that have been in the tumbler a little too long before doing any coins of value. Hope that helps you out some & adds another restoration technique to your tool box.

I ordered it thank you for the advice boogeyman

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, Beautiful lock. I found one almost exactly like the one you have. Mine was from the CW era and the little brass key hole cover is stamped US where yours is stamped GB. If you want to further restore the lock and you don't mind the iron turning black, you could try the product Gempler's. It does a great job on iron and further treats and restores the iron. Check into it if you haven't already. There are some pretty cool videos on this product. Just a suggestion. Once again, Congrat's on one cool find.

I ordered it as well as what boogeyman recommended. Im gonna try them both on to different things. Thank you guys

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes sir. You got it. Let us know how the further preservation of the lock goes. It's a great piece and will really look nice.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job cleaning it up. It looks to me that it could go back in the tank for a little while and then a extended soak in distilled water.....then a good drying out before coating it with anything.keep us updated.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job cleaning it up. It looks to me that it could go back in the tank for a little while and then a extended soak in distilled water.....then a good drying out before coating it with anything.keep us updated.

Yeah cooking it for another 72 hours and see how it looks. I was just getting nervous because holes where starting to for.
I’m also must admit I didn’t know about the distilled water before I apply anything to it thanks villagenut have heard from you in a a while been hunting lately?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah cooking it for another 72 hours and see how it looks. I was just getting nervous because holes where starting to for.
I’m also must admit I didn’t know about the distilled water before I apply anything to it thanks villagenut have heard from you in a a while been hunting lately?

Distilled water is helpful because it lacks the chloride that regular water contains, that allows for any salts or chloride ions to leech out of the iron and into the distilled water where regular tap water will not contribute to that process. I have been detecting and siftting an old store lot from the 1840s, used up until 1880 ish. I need to get some of those finds posted, just been too preoccupied and distracted.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok guys this is where I’m at. Electrolysis is easy, what you do after is when the work begins.

Any advice to get that brass cleaner let me know. I’ve down ketchup and flour, salt and vinegar. Thanks IMG_0012.JPG

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very easy and that is a nice lock. You do not want to over cook and cause holes. Lots of times when it comes out of electrolysis it will flash rust. Many people use a wax to seal out the air. Check out the cleaning and preservation forum here it has some great examples.
Great job and nice lock

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is very easy and that is a nice lock. You do not want to over cook and cause holes. Lots of times when it comes out of electrolysis it will flat rust. Many people use a wax to seal out the air. Check out the cleaning and preservation forum here it has some great examples.
Great job and nice lock

Thank you didn’t know they had that forum. Yeah it’s a balance to know when too much is too much. I wanted most of the rust of but noticed more small holes opening up. I used
GEMPLER’S Eco-Friendly RCQ Rust Converter and Primer All-in-One. I like the look it left not just that shoe polish black. Is primer the same as wax? Any advice on getting that brass better? Look at my picture roll please.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread