Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All finds found on private property with owners permission. These finds represent alot of fun times!

1. A pile of Spanish silver cut pieces and cobs, mostly found one at a time but occasionally I found more than one in a single day. The oldest is undated and then a 1658 and two dated 1658.

2. A so called "Bucks of America" button, from the 1st black regiment of the revolutionary war. There is controversy over the legitimacy of such a regiment but it is surely listed in Albert's book of buttons as such. The shank is intact.

3. Virginia halfpenny - although I have dug others and several state coppers and halfpennies; none of them were in such presevered condition. Its beautiful.

4. RARE 1784 halfpenny - I have read that only some 35+ examples may exist of this coin. More info here:

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/UnattributedCount.html

5. A group of really old and complete buckles - maybe not a great feat for some but I have not had great luck finding complete colonial buckles. I have hundreds of pieces but only a few dozen complete. Mostly found damaged from the plow chewing them up.

6. 1674 dated King Charles farthing - I have found 4 of these but this one was by far the best. (3 came of the same site)

7. 1780ish-1815ish eagle button with only 11 stars - remarkable patina, I have had several offers to buy the thing but I am not interested in selling it. I am told it is rare especially in the condition.

8. George Washington Inaugural button - I understand that its value is based on how many denticles run around the edge. Also its worth more with a shank. I have never counted the denticles. This button was in my collection for years until I figured out what I had!

9. 1652 Massachusetts bay colonies oak tree sixpence - My favorite find! I cant begin to tell you the feeling I had when I dug this in the Spring of 1996. It was dug with 2 Spanish cobs (one dated 1658) and the other from the late 1500s - found on what I have been told was a trading post in the mid 1600s. Absolutely the most incredible spot I ever metal detected. When we discovered the spot on the Chesapeake bay, we knew we had an old site with its hundreds of pieces of clay tobacco pipe strewn everywhere -just didn't realize it was THAT old. My very first signal was a 1500s 1 reale Spanish cob. After a few more visits I found the Mass. coin and thought it was just a Spanish 1 reale but it was something much better! Incidentally I thought it was worthy of an article in the treasure magazines so I tried no less than 3 times to get my finds in an article to no avail. Meanwhile, they published article after article concerning dug buffalo nickels and silver "roosies". Maybe my articles sucked but the finds should have spoken for themselves.

Thats OK...I enjoy them nonetheless...

HH, Gary

Attachments

• pieces.jpg
    pieces.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 8,175
  • piecesr.jpg
    piecesr.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 18,857
  • boas.jpg
    boas.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 7,928
  • 1773t.jpg
    1773t.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7,918
  • 1784s.jpg
    1784s.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 7,849
  • buckles.jpg
    buckles.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 7,947
  • bucklesr.jpg
    bucklesr.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 7,794
  • fars.jpg
    fars.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 7,774
  • eags.jpg
    eags.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 7,872
  • ins.jpg
    ins.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7,681
  • 1652s.jpg
    1652s.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 7,755
Upvote 37

Kansasippi

Nov 26, 2006
Delphos
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV,ML 18000,Tesoro Inca,Black Widows
One of my ancestors,my 8th great grand father was a member of the Mass. Bay Colony and came over with Gov Winthrop in 1628.
Thats the first relic I have ever seen associated with it.

Really really nice finds...I think I will copy that pick and add it to my files.

D

doyboy

Holy frickin' shit! That was one hell of a decade and a half plus two! :D

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
Wow. Great collection. I found my 1st VA 1/2 penny also but not nearly as preserved as yours. Thanks for posting.

Ronin

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
WOW your finds are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're so awesome they're beyond words!!!!

Have fun mate,
Salvager

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I have been detecting for about 5 years. I hope in 12 years I have HALF of that type of find!!!!

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DJ_Quinn said:
OMG! I am absolutley salivating! Finds like yours are the reason I began metal detecting 1 1/2 years ago. You are my hero, well done!
I agree...finds like that are part of what got me into MDing and I have people like you to thank for it. Thanks so much, keep up the finds!

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the nice comments. I had a scare just before christmas and I havent been around the forum much. My wife had a cist on her ovaries and she had to have an emergency operation to remove both the cist and her ovaries. The great news is the cist was benign and I have my best friend back! We have enough kids so I think things are looking up. 5-6 weeks after her surgery she is almost back to normal (what ever that is :D) and I am ready to start detecting again. Matter of fact I am really yearning for it! I am headed out detecting this Sunday come !@#$ or high water!

HH, Gary

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad to hear your wife i s feeling better.

I am fascinated by this post. All of the finds are in remarkable conidtion. I am curious as to the soil they were found in.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Forgive my uneducated reply, but...is it normal practice to cut Spanish silver into quarters? Does it have the same value as part of the whole

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Impressive!!!

Thanks, I truly enjoyed this post!! Thats what its all about!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
wow wow WOW!!! :o :o that is incredible!! just awesome stuff! thanks for posting it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread