My best Colonial era Silver Plated button found yesterday

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In almost 30 years of "pingin", I have only ever found a few of the older buttons that were silver plated with a lot silver left, but I never found one from late 1700's early 1800's that had almost all of the silver plating left until yesterday.

I wish I had taken a good before cleaning photo, it would have really emphasized the need for thorough cleaning of buttons. I will say that when I found the four buttons yesterday at the same site I got that 3 in 1 coin at last week, I was none too thrilled about any of them by their initial appearance out of the ground.

When I got home I put all four into hot peroxide and then used Q-Tips to rub off the crud the best I could. Well one was pretty decent but since it was a Tombac, it was cracked and bulging, so not much eye appeal. The other two remained cruddy and heavily pockmarked with corrosion. However the fourth button, as I was rubbing with the wet Q-Tip, started to show some silver and a design in the center of the button. With that I put it back in more hot peroxide and let it clean a bit more on its own to loosen the remaining crud up some more.

About an hour later I took the button out and it seemed that the Q-tips were not really getting much more off and I thought I had another silver plated button that lost its plating on about 50% of the button, but since the design was so nice I decided to use Lemon Juice for the final cleaning and WOW, was I glad I did.

It took a bunch of rubbing, and soaking Lemon Juice on it but slowly the hardened black crust did come off the button revealing a beautiful design, including edge cutting and design.

I thought at first it was a Pineapple on the button, but that made no sense to me, so I then figured it was a variation of a Thistle, making it a Scottish themed button. Another individual told me he thought it was a Pineapple and he explained how the Pineapple back in the 1700's was a very highly prized fruit and was used in art, building ornaments, etc, and why not on a button.

I did some googling of Colonial Pineapple Motifs and I was surprised to see a very nice article on the Colonial Williamsburg website and now feel better about the design IF it is a Pineapple representation. I know it does not exactly match a Pineapple or a Thistle or a Pinecone, but I feel that it is supposed to be a Pineapple. I have sent the photo to the National Button Society and hope to get an opinion from someone there.

Either way, I think this is one of the most beautiful buttons I have found in quite some time and it will display nicely. :)

Oh, before I found the 4 buttons, I did walk some old roads for a couple miles in search of new sites, well, that kind of turned into a nice walk and that was about it, but I did get an oxen shoe, clad quarter and clad dime on the road and then I hit the 3 in 1 homestead before I called it a day hunting. So I do have pics of the finds before cleaning, just not a good closeup of the plated button. The silver plated button is 26mm in diameter.

Here is the website I found explaining about the role of the Pineapple in Colonial America.
http://www.history.org/christmas/dec_pineapple.cfm

Don

Attachments

• 3in1sitefinds.JPG
    3in1sitefinds.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 791
  • DesignSilverPlatedButton2.jpg
    DesignSilverPlatedButton2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 787
  • Silverplatecloseup.jpg
    Silverplatecloseup.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 753
Upvote 0

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Awesome, Don, I also found my best Colonial-era button the other day (GW)! :thumbsup:

It still looks like your button is chipping away, so take it easy on it.

Keep sweeping, Donny! :thumbsup:

Kirk

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Don ....

Beauty of a button !!

Since I found the "Sanders" site I've found 3 buttons there with pretty much 60% of the silver plating still on them.

Have a look at the two I found last week, tell me what you think ---

Grats on a beautiful button !!

Derek :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 716

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking button Don. :thumbsup:
I never saw one like that. Very cool.
Congrats,
MM

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derek752 said:
Hey Don ....

Beauty of a button !!

Since I found the "Sanders" site I've found 3 buttons there with pretty much 60% of the silver plating still on them.

Have a look at the two I found last week, tell me what you think ---

Grats on a beautiful button !!

Derek :icon_scratch:

Thanks Derek

Your two buttons look like mine did before I really rubbed with the lemon juice and Q-Tips, are you sure there is not silver plating underneath those dark areas?

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I will have to try some lemon juice to see if they'll clean up better !

- D- 8)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,

Congrats on the pineapple button. Even with all the buttons I have found (24 over the last two weeks alone), I have never found one with any of the plating entact. It is amazing how a relatively short distance can have such a dramatic difference in ground conditions, hence on coins and buttons. The well drained soils of the piney areas toward the shore, vs. the mineralized marl and clay soils found near the Delaware Valley.

One more note, I found lime juice to be a bit more effective than lemon juice on the black crud that sometimes can get stuck to old coins and buttons. But you must keep an eye on it constantly.

Congrats on a beauty of a button!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Very interesting button find, Don.

Maybe you just found one of those rare 3 in 1 buttons, just like your coin... ;D :D

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dgaughan said:
she's a beauty don congrats my question is how did that clad get in there? jk

In my post I said the following: :)
Oh, before I found the 4 buttons, I did walk some old roads for a couple miles in search of new sites, well, that kind of turned into a nice walk and that was about it, but I did get an oxen shoe, clad quarter and clad dime on the road and then I hit the 3 in 1 homestead before I called it a day hunting.

Just came back from a morning hunt, only two goodies, one big and heavy(iron) and one teensy tiny, but silver. :)

Don

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great button...From the before cleaning picture I would have never guessed it would have turned out so nice. Congratulations.

NJ

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Don! That is one beautiful button! :thumbsup: Let us know when you get a positive ID. I'm leaning more toward thistle than a pineapple :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread