My best day detecting ever-Thank you Nox

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best detecting day ever, not because of specifically what I found (some folks may classify as junk) but the circumstances surrounding these nonferrous found.

These items found in my detector proving grounds site.

Hard busted by some good detectors. Folks here probably know of one model and various I coils I have hunted before with due to my previous posting.

Folks, I didn't even really get out of my own shadow and was digging these.

v8pzxk.jpg

You see the buttons, item on left is a smashed thimbal. Couple bigger brass pieces. A few bullets, even musket ball.
I intentionally wanted to try field mode 2 in this area just to satisfy my own curiosity.
So this is exactly what I did.

If I would have had about 10 shovels to place around the perimeter of this area I found these today, would be very eye opening and would also support highly there is no way in the world I could have missed this many nonferrous finds this close together. There are 2 landmarks near here. I knew exactly were I was today as far detecting/ detecting history.

Running factory field 2, 0 iron bias and used both speed levels 6 and 7.
Sens at 23
Auto GB with 54 in the window.
50 tones

Every single one of these finds gave very good signal but one using multi frequency.
After locating the first 5 suspect targets I checked with park 2 mode.
I could hear all, but volume of tone was louder and tone not as pure sounding. A couple of these when sweeping using park 2, the signals were trying to chop on the edge somewhat.
On these first 5 suspect targets I checked in field 2 detect mode using single freqs of 15, 20, and 40 kHz. At no time did any of these 5 suspect targets give me anything to dig tonally period. Full rotations around suspect area sweeping.

So I kept hunting, except I quit comparing using park 2, but did check all suspect targets before digging using 15, 20, and 40khz.
Only one additional target gave a signal in both 20 and 40 kHz.
The rest of the targets recovered, I got no tone period telling me dig when checking with 15, 20 and 40 kHz.

No target was deeper than 7" deep.

Equinox purred like a kitten.

Folks most if not all these nonferrous objects have been swept likely at least 200 times by myself personally using other models detectors.
No head to head done on any of them.
Equinox the only detector I had with me.

All I can do here is report truthfully what happened.
Folks can draw their own conclusions.
My Equinox will be under my pillow tonite while I'm sleeping.

I love the daylights out of it, especially after today.

Need to add one more comment here.
Folks the coil on the Nox is alive using multi freq. Some of the holes I had to widen big time to recover nonferrous. A new user of Equinox might get fooled due to the way this things works.
Only thing I can say is it has something to do with the tech and coil, how it works. Like it it seeing in more directions vs traditional VLF detector. Call me crazy but this is what I believe.
Seeing is definitely believing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you like your new toy. Can we see a pic without the dirt? Stuff is kind of hard to see. All I got with the Deus today was a 200 year old silver spoon and musket balls.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you like your new toy. Can we see a pic without the dirt? Stuff is kind of hard to see. All I got with the Deus today was a 200 year old silver spoon and musket balls.

That cost extra. Cleaning

Btw, you had better tell your Deus to look out. Could be a new sheriff in town. Especially in bad ground.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Great to hear that it did that well in an area where other models have hunted. It might just be as good as the hype after all.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, no new sheriff. I'll post some stuff when I fully wake up. And if I can get the photo uploaded to work, which for me it is not doing right now.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm glad to see bits and pieces of finds,what depth,little side notes ,chatter here and there,just little stuff. On the 6 and 800. Keep it going guys. It's a lot better than the factory could tell us.:thumb_up:

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 800 will be here monday!! Just got shipping confirmation! Can't wait to put this machine to the test. I will be hitting some pounded parks that have stopped producing coins for my At pro and etrac as well as some yards. I plan on reporting my findings and posting some live dig videos. I will be using all the info and suggestions from your posts to guide me so keep them coming!

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is little blurb of detecting history of the spot I was yesterday.

Secret sauce multi IQ is for real. Don't question it. And don't underestimate the 11" DD coil thinking it's too big.
Relic hunters are going to have a ball with this detector.
Most of what I found today, any one of them could have been a gold coin lurking.

Been walking on top of these for 7 years. lol
I should say here, this area (circular area) I hunted today, I noticed this spot seemed to have a higher concentration of nonferrous, due romuse of elliptical and round HF Deus coils. I hunted this circle the first time and dug around 10 finds. Hunted again using both coils found 3. Hunted again using both HF coils and found 1. Hunted this circle again around 4 times using both HF coils - Notta.
Now I had hunted this area previously loads using LF coils on Deus. CTX, Etrac.
Just outside the perimeter of this circle I dug a 1 bit Spanish bit around 10" using CTX around 4 years ago.

When I got done yesterday (ran out of time btw) this area looked like a bunch of gophers had been there. Plugs were every few feet.
I actually hunted this area using HF coils both on Deus right up until I got tracking info on my Nox.

One reason why Imdimdwas to have a place to test Nox.
Btw I went to this site right off the bat when I got Nox. But hunted behind this post. My mission was really to try to get to hear what heavy iron sounded like. I ran all the modes just a little as green horn Nox user. Didn't dig much.
Later on I revisited near this site, was using park 2 mode mostly, and the reason Imwas was park 2 seems is deeper in this ground. But park 2 seems is not the ultimate separator unmasked, field 2 better. Saw this yesterday when do comparing just on a few targets yesterday.
So it seems multiple,hunts using Nox in old sites are necessary for me for a site to be declared NOX dead.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good, was wondering when someone would actually find a use for Field 2.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 800 will be here monday!! Just got shipping confirmation! Can't wait to put this machine to the test. I will be hitting some pounded parks that have stopped producing coins for my At pro and etrac as well as some yards. I plan on reporting my findings and posting some live dig videos. I will be using all the info and suggestions from your posts to guide me so keep them coming!

Congrats. Get mine next week too. Send your live dig videos directly to Terry Solomon as he loves those things. Bonus points if you are wearing a tank top and fake ZZ Top beard.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only been into detecting for 3 years or so. I do have a few different detectors. I think I could go over good ground with a GPX and find stuff later with a $50 bounty hunter (I own neither of these). Water in the ground, direction of travel, speed of swing, the way I hold the expression on my face and untold other factors produce this magic. IM(beginners)O

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am I missing something here? All that stuff would be in my trash bin by now. I'm thinking no one pulled this stuff out of the ground 200 times previously because it all came up as junk. This is just my opinion, but you may not be selling folks on the power of the Nox with this post.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phishfarmer, Dr. Witty, good points. I will give everyone an example of a REAL TEST in a few minutes, as soon as I get the dirt sample out of the truck! Not kidding, that dirt is awful.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I missing something here? All that stuff would be in my trash bin by now. I'm thinking no one pulled this stuff out of the ground 200 times previously because it all came up as junk. This is just my opinion, but you may not be selling folks on the power of the Nox with this post.

Yeah no one did pull it out of the ground. Only one person has hunted this spot besides me (to my knowledge) previously likely some 12 years ago with White's xlt detector/stock coil.
Those buttons, that musket all date back to late 1700 s early 1800s. Relics my friend. And like I said, any one of the finds could have been a gold coin lurking.

The ability of any detector model w coil, it's ability to pull nonferrous out of bad ground and or polluted site is one key thing as far as how a detector is rated, and how useful it may be for a person using. NOT all detector models created equals here unfortunately.

OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If dirt is disturbed, results testing will be skewed. Not show true pic of what is going on.

Has anyone consider why Minelab came up with multi IQ tech?
I mean they could have made a single freq detector and called it a day couldn't they.
A fast speed wise single freq detector, but they didn't did they.
Think about this.

Seems lots of folks think Minelab is hoodwinking folks with Nox and tech involved.
If you think this, I have beach front property in Az I will sell you.
Cheap too.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two tests: Take a small gold ring, I just got this one the other day, yippee, put it next to a few nails or some flat iron pieces, start at 10" and see if your machine will find it. Move it up or down in the soil column until you can hear it, if you can. Do not use a HUGE ring or a silver ring as silver for most machines is a no brainer and rings high. View attachment IMG_0759.jpg

Here's a second test. I found these two items literally touching each other yesterday after work. They were in a field with relatively mild soil. A piece of plate steel and a mid size 1/2" brass button, early 19th century. They were about 5-6" deep. The button and the iron were both read on the VDI, but the button came in at a solid 72 on the Deus. See if you can repeat such a test. View attachment IMG_0760.JPG

And dirt matters. Here is a real world comparison of our horrid dirt, with milder dirt from about a hundred miles away. Yes, I do travel to detect. The REAL test comes when you are trying to find tiny items in the horrid red dirt. It is red from its iron content. I know a lot of you have never run into this mess, but here is a side by side photo to show what I'm talking about. Both samples are shown wet.
View attachment IMG_0758.JPG

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all dig trash because we think gold or a gold coin may be lurking. That doesn't make a gold coin turn up there just because we are looking for it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatcha mean gold lurking? Gold likes me! I dig most lower range targets, and have a a lot of success doing it. Frankly, I do not even need a VDI. I just bought another new machine and it doesn't even HAVE a VDI! But it does very, very, well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions