One last EQ question for me.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK then, I will be ordering the EQ, I already know that, just waiting until the 6" coil is offered. For my type of hunting, I'm sure the 600 is all I'll ever really need, HOWEVER, like a 12 y/o, I want the full meal deal, the 800, since I know this will be my last new machine. Since the prospecting mode in the 800 is now in "Multi", what MIGHT be the big difference between the two if you find yourself in the right place and time for "nugget shooting" and you want to give it a shot. I do not know of any comparing between the two in that area. In Multi Freq. say in "Field" mode would the 600 do OK? or would the 800 in prospect mode way out preform. I know in prospect mode it will sound different, is the ground balance different, or is there ground tracking or what. The only reason I might use 20 or 40 KHz by themselves would be just for the "Heck of it" at say a fresh water beach or say a sandy volleyball court in order to just find some dandy pull tabs and new nickels. ( Or a gold ring if I must) and skip the copper pennies etc. So, my head says 600, Ah but my "inner child" says 8. Any thoughts on this fella's? The final decision is up to me of course, and there are some other small differences between the two, but what of Nugget hunting, or, what "other" use might one consider with a 20/40 KHz option?

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen any gold test on the NOX but if I was going nugget hunting I would be buying a dedicated nugget hunting machine.

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a really good write up in another forum on the 800 in a gold bearing area and it found quite a few sub grainers, the guy was really impressed. If you look around you should be able to find it, I dont think we are allowed to link it here. There are also quite a few differences in the 800 from the 600 , vferrari has mentioned most of them in other threads here but most are , customizable tone pitch, volume and tone break for non ferrous and ferrous (this is a big one for me) , more speed/recovery settings , more iron bias settings, user profile, back light adjustments, of course the wireless module and headphones included. You could easily get away with the 600 and I am sure be very happy but For me I just know I would wish I got the 800 with all the extras. The only problem right now is they are not available anywhere but that should change soon. Good luck on whichever you decide.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not buying the 800 primarily because it has gold mode. I can see that it MIGHT be useful under certain relic hunting situations want to have it available. Gold mode is set up to have a higher frequency bias than the other modes (i.e., it runs hotter) and uses GB tracking by default (though you can switch to manual GB) and uses VCO-like pitch audio. Small nuggets have indeed been found with the other "hot" modes (Park 2/Field 2).

But the reason I am getting the 800 is primarily for the following:

I don't know what I don't know yet. With the Deus I saw little use initially for the HF coils as I thought they were primarily geared to the gold prospector and would be counter productive to seeking out deep silver. Come to find out the coil is less EMI susceptible than the LF coils and can run at a low enough frequency to be just as effective at detecting deep high conductors as the LF coils. Also, running at 28.8 khz and above demonstrated superior separation and unmasking capabilities and really opened up relic hunting opportunities because they hit hard on mid-conductors like gold, but also brass and small lead. Lesson learned: Didn't think I needed it, found out I couldn't live without it and haven't taken the HF coil off since I got it. So I am not going to make the mistake of not getting the feature I don't know yet that I need.

The additional provided wireless hardware somewhat offsets the price differential between the two machines. Plus, since you can't even buy accessories now even if you wanted to, I like having the WM05 module being provided so I can use my favorite wired headphones untethered from the detector.

Having the ability to individually select 20 khz and 40 khz could come in handy under certain difficult EMI situations if the Noise Cancellation algorithm is not able to get a clear MultiIQ channel.

The 800 also has Manual Noise Cancellation if you are not happy with the auto-selected channel, 600 only has Auto Noise Cancellation.

Higher ultimate recovery speed vs. the 600 which has a lower maximum recovery speed and fewer increments.

Similarly, the 800 has a greater range of adjustment and increments for Iron Bias Setting.

The 800 has a universal user profile save/recall button and slot which is useful for instant access to a special mode you may have set up for instant recall to facilitate interrogating a target such as a 5 khz single frequency mode for bottle cap and trash rejection. Otherwise, you have to cycle through all the modes sequentially if you want to switch between them.

The 800 provides the ability to set up custom non-ferrous tone breaks, volumes, and pitches to help you cherry pick certain target segments by having them "stand out" tonally, if desired, without completely notching out the undesirables. This may seem trivial but I have seen it in action and it is a pretty powerful feature under certain circumstances that the 600 lacks.

For $250 (or less if you consider the included wireless hardware price/value) I decided for me it was worth getting the whole enchilada and having no down-the-road regrets.

HTH

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sprail, I’m 12 and I’m just happy with my 600 lol!

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella's, thank you for some feedback. No matter which of the two anyone orders, it does seem that they will be very happy with it. Again, vferrari pointed out some valid points I had already considered, and a couple I was not aware of that I like, such as the WM05 where I can use headphones of choice? (Grey ghost) for me. I myself had said in other post that even with options I may not use, I do like "having" options just in case I get a burst of patience where I want to try setting a couple up. Now, IF anyone out there should do a video of some sort where they do a "nugget shooting" demo between the 6 & 800, it would be of interest just to watch. We already know that both machines come packed in a box, and both machines can detect coins in the air, but in a "electronic prospecting" setting it would be something new to see. Not to influence anyone's choice, just curious. GreenMeanie has a valid point, a "dedicated" gold machine, which had always been the way, but with some new machines coming out?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread