Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

This message should of been done last weekend.... But been busy cleaning all my finds ;D

A friend and I went into the hills near where I live where we found a animal paddock kind of structure that is very old made of rocks. This structure is made into circles, one being about 15m across, and about 3 smaller ones of about 6m across. I am not sure how old these structures are as there does not seem to be any record of them.
It would seem that these structures are used for other things besides keeping animals, as there has been candle burning all around on the rocks, like cerimonies going on. Not sure but maybe witchcraft or Satanism has been going on for many years.

Anyway, we both have been to this site many times before, because there is a great view of the town from the far side of this circle structure.
About 5 1/2 years ago, this friend of mine came up here and walked the whole of the mountain, and somewhere lost his week old glasses. He told me about the glasses when we arrived in the car, but also told me that they could be anywhere on the mountain..... ::)

Well we detected this area, and found lots of coins of the old South African type, and the new type..... we are looking at around 1965 till present. We searched for about 3 hours, over every inch of this site.... it was great fun.

We decided to leave the area, so started back to the car. On arrival, we decided that since we had parked the car on a mud patch (probably from rain water) we would have one last try to find stuff. Well we found a number of fire arm shells, and as we looked at the edge of the mud patch in the grass, we found this friend of mines glasses...... As you can see the plastic parts have been melted due to grass fires, but otherwise when they were cleaned up, they were perfect........ What are the chances of finding these glasses on a mountain?

Anyway, we had a great time of fellowship together, and much fresh air, and a beer to celebrate ;)

Hope you enjoy the pictures ;D

God bless
Peter

Attachments

• Glasses1.jpg
    Glasses1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 907
  • Coins1.jpg
    Coins1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 899
  • Peter1.jpg
    Peter1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 904
  • Photo0012.jpg
    Photo0012.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 905
  • Photo0021.jpg
    Photo0021.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 889
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GYRO CAPTAIN......peter i am a member on troy shadow forum that a member went to SA to detect boer war battles they did wonderful with finds etc!!ill look it up and post it for you...

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Nice finds!

Pete, I'm curious... How cold is it down there right now? I noticed your wearing a sweater, so I can only assume your seeing a dip in the temp?

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys,

Umm not sure about Gyro Guy ;D or Mad max ::) But hey I have been told that I was in two places at the same time once..... must look into that one 8)

CryptoDave, at the moment the temperatures here are crazy.... we go to 0c in the night, up to 21c during the day. The very next day, it is freezing again... so we are not sure about the weather at this time.... But we are entering winter, so we should expect this type of weather.

dekalb33 I would appreciate that item from you if you can find it again. I am at this stage trying to get information on sites in my area.... not easy because maps from them days are not clear..... I cannot wait though to get some Boer war finds.
I have got a friend interested in metal detecting, so we take turns with the detector.... he detects, I dig... then we swap around a hour later. I think it is nicer to have a friend with, and a lot safer in this day and age.
I just recieved satelite photo's of my area today, but think they are a bit high up.... umm will need a big magnifying glass to see clearly ::)

God bless
Peter

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.troycustomdetectors.com/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl
DINO-UK is the guy to talk to, i tried to look up the info in the archives but it only goes back so far, stupid. in my opinion...him and a group of guys have a good solid hunt he traveled from UK to SA for the dig ....prolly email him to egt more infor on were they went etc..sorry but heres a go for you to try...

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Hmmm, I wasn't able to find the subject..... sounds cool though.
Peter wants to learn more on the Boer war I know.

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi dekalb33

Thank you for the info and your interest, I will definately look into it and let you know what happens.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks dekalb33,
I have left a message for Dino-Uk to contact me.... hope he does ::)

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread