My best Pre Revolutionary War Find EVER!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked for help yesterday with identification, this was found yesterday, it is a 3" copper/brass round disc, and I couldn't figure it out. Since then it has been identified as a first half 18th century locking cover to a round box used to hold tobacco or snuff. The sun, moon and directional arrows act as keys that engage on the rear of the object to slip a slide into the bottom of the box to lock it. I believe if soaked in WD-40 for a few days, it would STILL WORK. There was something covering it, rotted cloth or something, I don't know what. It had turned to mush. Whatever it was helped preserve it. To own something like this back then, this would have been a "if you've got it, flaunt it" item. Expertly and wonderfully made, it was in a cut soybean field almost 18" down. I was digging a trash pit (only went to 3 foot as the ground was HEAVY with water and hard to dig), and I gave up and "circled" the pit with the Deus within 15' or so to see if I was "on" the pit or if there was anything else nearby.

The Deus was used with the factory settings with version 4.0 with Deus Fast Program, tracking ground balance and running the HF coil at 74khz. NO tweaks to the program.

I had a full sized shovel as when you'd put the shovel in the wet ground, it would make a sucking sound as you lifted the mud plug up!

The signal was a solid "81" but weak, and I thought it was a small piece of lead or something relatively shallow. Boy was I surprised!

The ones I found for sale were enormously expensive. I have found gold, silver and copper coins from the period, solid silver flatware, buttons, musket balls and parts, leather ornaments, forks, knives, axes, this thing is exceptionally rare.

Enjoy! And welcome to 2019, this was a heck of a way to finish off a year I didn't go out nearly as much as I did the year before!

IMG_1471.JPG tobacco box.jpg IMG_1472.JPG

Upvote 49

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations finishing the year with a bang.:icon_thumright:

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a way to end the year wowser!!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's an awesome find! I'm sure it will look great on display. Congratulations!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. It was a solid but weak tone, I thought it was another confangled tiny piece of lead 5" down again. Wrong. Once in a lifetime find.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice artifact! Congrats on all your finds in 18 and wishing you some great one's in 19!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, I've never seen one of those before and I would have to believe that it was not a Common Item among the Colonists in the Village! 18" down in saturated ground required a certain amount of perseverance on the part of the detectorist to locate. Job well done and thank you for posting this 'special treasure'!.................63bkpkr

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s one beautiful looking piece and a great way to end the year. Good luck next year, HH

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. How were you able to date/identify it?

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! i absolutely love the design. that's going to be the centerpiece of your display case. :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful piece, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpr, and I didn't even HIT it with the shovel in the sucking mud!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toasted, I took a guess as to what it could have been a cover for. The hinge and locking piece are still there and intact, so I knew it was a hinged lid to a box of some kind, so I GOOGLED it under 18th century tobacco or snuff box.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toasted, I took a guess as to what it could have been a cover for. The hinge and locking piece are still there and intact, so I knew it was a hinged lid to a box of some kind, so I GOOGLED it under 18th century tobacco or snuff box.

At first, I thought the one picture was the actual piece you found all cleaned up. You may want to add that info in your original post as Im sure many including me are a little slow lol

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
another amazing find, if only you knew how to use that HF coil in 74kz! LOL. You still rock Lady! gotta love those surprises like that. :headbang:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Smokey, also Congrats on a stellar year!!! "D"

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest: