My best Pre Revolutionary War Find EVER!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked for help yesterday with identification, this was found yesterday, it is a 3" copper/brass round disc, and I couldn't figure it out. Since then it has been identified as a first half 18th century locking cover to a round box used to hold tobacco or snuff. The sun, moon and directional arrows act as keys that engage on the rear of the object to slip a slide into the bottom of the box to lock it. I believe if soaked in WD-40 for a few days, it would STILL WORK. There was something covering it, rotted cloth or something, I don't know what. It had turned to mush. Whatever it was helped preserve it. To own something like this back then, this would have been a "if you've got it, flaunt it" item. Expertly and wonderfully made, it was in a cut soybean field almost 18" down. I was digging a trash pit (only went to 3 foot as the ground was HEAVY with water and hard to dig), and I gave up and "circled" the pit with the Deus within 15' or so to see if I was "on" the pit or if there was anything else nearby.

The Deus was used with the factory settings with version 4.0 with Deus Fast Program, tracking ground balance and running the HF coil at 74khz. NO tweaks to the program.

I had a full sized shovel as when you'd put the shovel in the wet ground, it would make a sucking sound as you lifted the mud plug up!

The signal was a solid "81" but weak, and I thought it was a small piece of lead or something relatively shallow. Boy was I surprised!

The ones I found for sale were enormously expensive. I have found gold, silver and copper coins from the period, solid silver flatware, buttons, musket balls and parts, leather ornaments, forks, knives, axes, this thing is exceptionally rare.

Enjoy! And welcome to 2019, this was a heck of a way to finish off a year I didn't go out nearly as much as I did the year before!

IMG_1471.JPG tobacco box.jpg IMG_1472.JPG

Upvote 49

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread