My biggest problem metal detecting is...................?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what bothers you most about MDing? My biggest problem is that me and my detector become overwhelmed by the amount of shallow trash targets. I know some of those targets are good but when there's one every two inches there's no way to dig 'em all as many have suggested. I tried it once and after spending over an hour in a foot square area I found a couple of clad cents and ten times more trash! What bugs you most when your are detecting? Monty

Upvote 0
My problem is always having to drag home all the gold and silver I find.....No matter what vehicle I take, its never big enough......LOL....okay...waking up now.....

My biggest problem is myself...I get sidetracked...go to an old site, hit a few digs and then find a pottery peice and start digging there and pretty soon I have a jeep full of old bottles,pottery,iron wheels, buckets of I-dont -knows .........and I still didnt hit the spot I originally set out to dig.....

My biggest problem is too many sites, believe it or not.... :'( I spend the winters doing research and generally have too much to "hit" for the next year. I never get around to getting them all, even though we get out at least every week. Probably why I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to info on sites, I know I'll never get to them all..... LOL!

Jeffro said:
My biggest problem is too many sites, believe it or not.... :'(? I spend the winters doing research and generally have too much to "hit" for the next year. I never get around to getting them all, even though we get out at least every week. Probably why I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to info on sites, I know I'll never get to them all..... LOL!

I agree. Never enough time. Tick tock.

I'd have to say explaining the hobby to those that have never been exposed to it. Usually have about a 50/50 shot of getting one of those looks that says, "don't you have anything better to do with your time?" coupled with an eye roll. ::)

But you never know what reaction you'll get.

Good cache spots are owned by too many grubbers who don't want you on their land. I can understand them to a degree, but, man it can get frustrating.

My biggest problem is... there is nothing old out here in Arizona. Yeah, yeah, yeah... Spanish gold, I know, I know. I grew up hunting relics in Georgia, not hunting treasure. The chances of my me finding a grand CSA buckle are much, much better than finding a buried cache of Spanish gold. This city that I live in wasn't anything more than an Apache watering hold in 1900. I used to find wheat pennies by handfulls, now if I find a wheatie it goes in a frame!!! The only good side of things is that my chances of finding a gold half eagle, eagle, or double eagle are pretty good. All the mines and smelters out here paid their payroll in gold. I have been at this a while out here, and the oldest coin I have found is a 1940 nickel. I guess I could take to hunting meteorites. :(

Gosh, I really miss Georgia! :'( :'( :'(

Greedy landowners who follow me into the field and watch my every move. When I dig a target, they'll be right their on top of me waiting for me to pull the trinket from the ground. I showed one old man a silver quarter I dug, he looked it over and stuck it in his pocket!

I normally complain of low batteries and go somewhere else when this happens. ;D

At the Risk of sounding conceited,

MY Biggest Problem Detecting is Trying to Decide Which site to go next.

I research all Winter, Every Winter, And I have More Plans for More Sites, then
I could do in Several Lifetimes.

When Spring Comes, I'll be Thinking "This one" ? or "That one" ?
"OR Maby I should do that one"

The one that really gets me mad is getting out to hunt and then having to take a leak. I hunt in the city! You have to develope some real skills to continue to hunt in the open.

Free,
Just find yourself a secluded parking meter and go there.

Free 2 Dtect said:
The one that really gets me mad is getting out to hunt and then having to take a leak. I hunt in the city! You have to develope some real skills to continue to hunt in the open.

Free, this may be your salvation: www.sneakyleaker.com ;D

Monty said:
My biggest problem is that me and my detector become overwhelmed by the amount of shallow trash targets.?

This is one reason I selected the Tesoro DeLeon. It's simple but amazingly accurate meter gets me past those shallow junk signals.

I just check the depth of targets and sort-out those shallow pennies, clads, and other junk. To me, modern coins are almost as worthless as pulltabs. I have low back problems and must limit my bending. That clad and zinc is easily sorted out with the DeLeon. Pulltabs and foil all are easy to ID.

I luv my DeLeon!

HH

My biggest problem is having to work for a living! Ha! Ha! Don,t we all wish we could retire at 35 or 30. Still spry enough to hunt all the time and not have a care in the world.

Really, My biggest problem is keeping a good positive attitude when detecting. I find that if I expect to find things I usually do. When I go a couple of hours digging only aluminum and trash I get down. This makes me slow down , not concentrate, get sloppy with my pattern, and it snowballs from there if I don,t check it. Mental attitude can help or hurt when detecting.

Ed Donovan

at the moment its finding good huntable spots that produce. i am getting better at research but i have a long way to go still.

Starting off with a low end detector and getting used to different audible signals, the buying a higher end model having to dig twice as much, Oh well, a Learning experience, HH Art...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back