my dfx rreacted loudly to sulphides.what does it mean.

distribuidorUSA

Dec 11, 2012
Strathmore Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On an abandoned mine that I came across some years ago (I was metal detecting a promising site) I found this tunnel not too long. It walls were oxidized with red and green collections and it had lots of yellowish suppliers.the thing is that my where's dfx detector did not reacted to the sulphides on the walls and ceiling.but on the floor on one particular area my detector went bananas.all I had was shovel and I couldn't chip off a sample.I know metal detectors don't react to pyrite.so since there was a green coloration could it be native copper or gold?.the site is really far and this is been bothering merit quite a while.has anybody had a similar experience?.do you guys think it could be worth it to go back try to get a sample?

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MDs will sound off on pyrite, iron sulphide, if in sufficient quantities. That is, 5 or 6 grams of the cubic crystals. My GB2 and GMT will. TTC

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It'll also sound of like crazy on copper.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it will sound off on iron sulphides, could easily be copper or gold in it also.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way I did not see any pyrite cubes . the sulphides were massive.
USA, Not to belittle your comments but they are a little ambiguous. Pyrite IS a sulphide..... Iron sulphide. Lead sulphide is galena. Copper has several sulphides, such as chalcocite and covillite (the first is a monosulphide and the second is a disulfide [I'm just showing off]). There are SEVERAL more minerals that your machine may be sounding off to. All are associated with gold so don't give up! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread