My Dime Box Experience

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't posted here lately 'cause frankly have not had anything to post about. Like others here, my half boxes have been skunkeroos the past few weeks (six in a row). So to change it up a bit got four boxes of dimes, my first dime boxes. The final result was 8 silver Roosies, which I didn't think was all that great considering the work put into it. The rolls I got were not the clear wrappers, so I couldn't just edge search without taking them all out. I know silver is silver, but in the end I felt it was just too much work for such a paltry amount of silver. Am I the only one that feels this way? I also think halves are more fun because you have more possibilities for different finds. Going back to halves...got six boxes coming tomorrow (hopefully) so we'll see if it gets any better.

P.S....I did purchase three Peace dollars and one Morgan from family over the holiday, so I was able to satisfy my silver craving for a few days.

Upvote 0

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
The nice thing about dimes is that they produce consistently. Sometimes you'll find less, sometimes more, but usually you find something.

Very rarely am I skunked on dimes. The key is persistence.

HH,
cuttybce

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding 2 silver dimes per box on average is actually pretty good results, and even with having to open the wrappers they go pretty fast since you dont have to check dates.

Like cutty said, dimes usually produce. At least that's been my experience. I've done 15 boxes of dimes in the last 2 weeks, and only have 2 or 3 skunks. My best box had 4, and I have had a few with 2 and one with 3.

Dimes wont make you a silver baron, but they will keep some silver going in the right direction.

HH

Nick

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
What's work about it? You found almost 2 - 90% silver halves worth in those dime boxes, one-third of the amount of halves you searched that were skunks.
I shouldn't take more than 10-12 minutes to search a box of paper-wrapped dimes. That's 15 seconds per roll, plenty of time to edge search. Get a pair of magnifying glasses, they really help. Dimes are consistant like the other posters say, of course, the nasty part is dumping.

OP
OP
coincrawlin

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, out of the four boxes one was a skunk. The work part is having to roll them all back up, as only one bank close by has a coin machine, which I don't like using anyway since it always seems to be breaking down and I'm worried about getting shorted. But if the halves don't start producing soon it will be back to dimes I think.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
coincrawlin said:
Well, out of the four boxes one was a skunk. The work part is having to roll them all back up, as only one bank close by has a coin machine, which I don't like using anyway since it always seems to be breaking down and I'm worried about getting shorted. But if the halves don't start producing soon it will be back to dimes I think.
Now I understand. I would rather have a root canal done, than re-roll dimes. Good luck with the search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread