My dump bank is onto me and stated their coin processor culls silver...

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my dump bank today and dumped $400 in halves and $300 in dimes. When I took the receipt from the coin sorter to the front desk the teller stated that he used to look through coins himself and that the bank has noticed a rise in half dollars (all from me I assume). He then proceeded to tell me the company that pick up the coins takes all the silver out before they rewrap the coins for circulation again. I bought $10 in halves and $10 in dimes from them to see where they were from and they were from Loomis. So I assume the company he is talking about that pulls the silver is Loomis?

So is the teller just blowing smoke or is there some truth to this?

Upvote 0

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't had any loomis yet. Just brinks and NR sons. From what others tell me most coin processors don't have the time nor the money to cull silver, but then I would think if enough tellers secretly cull the silver, it wouldn't take long for the silver to disappear. I do the same thing at my work and already for a informal warning about opening my coin rolls when I don't need to. ::grimace:: eesh..

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theproph said:
Went to my dump bank today and dumped $400 in halves and $300 in dimes. When I took the receipt from the coin sorter to the front desk the teller stated that he used to look through coins himself and that the bank has noticed a rise in half dollars (all from me I assume). He then proceeded to tell me the company that pick up the coins takes all the silver out before they rewrap the coins for circulation again. I bought $10 in halves and $10 in dimes from them to see where they were from and they were from Loomis. So I assume the company he is talking about that pulls the silver is Loomis?

You are joking right you are basing your assumption on a total of 20 halves and 100 dimes.

OP
OP
T

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are joking right you are basing your assumption on a total of 20 halves and 100 dimes.

No no you missed the point. Ive gone through $2400 so far in halves and dimes and have found 6 Roosevelt dimes and only one 64 half. I realize its a very low chance to actually find silver. The only reason I purchased the dimes and halves after he told me this was to see where they came from with no assumptions or hopes of finding silver. I was doing a little of my own research on the source of their coins, thats all.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theproph said:
No no you missed the point. Ive gone through $2400 so far in halves and dimes and have found 6 Roosevelt dimes and only one 64 half. I realize its a very low chance to actually find silver. The only reason I purchased the dimes and halves after he told me this was to see where they came from with no assumptions or hopes of finding silver. I was doing a little of my own research on the source of their coins, thats all.

You answered your own question. You found silver so they obviously didn't take it out.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
T

theproph

Oct 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You answered your own question. You found silver so they obviously didn't take it out.
HH
enamel7

Actually no I dont get coin from the bank I dump at, I dump at my fiancees bank and pickup from my own. But I guess technically you are correct no that I think about it because the coins I do get from my bank are from Loomis.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I've been getting skunked from the new Loomis boxes, the ones with the date stamps and now initials. Going on a month now, not that that necessarily means anything, as I've gone longer than that before, but still I'm somewhat concerned. Other members have reported the same lately.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we go again. It took two weeks this time i think. lol. I get all of my boxes from Loomis, and they have dates. I have only been skunked once in the last month.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THISGONBGUD.gif

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend of my brother's, that know's a bank manager's wife, said that her neighbor's kid has a part-time job sorting ONLY 1964 Kennedy halves, directly from silver that String and his son is sorting from armoured trucks. I'm not sure that I believe this though.

OTOH, I've been on here a long time, so I know what I'm talking about.
j/k

Last edited:

db23

Mar 18, 2011

Der.... My reply would have been something like....

Well it's a good thing I got to look through these coins and pull out the silver before that company had a chance to look through them.

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it all depends where you order boxes from, even if it's the same courier at the different places. If people aren't putting that much silver into the system in a particular area, you're not going to be getting much out. If they are... happy days :) Well, hopefully. These have been my experiences, anyways...

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loomis usually just gives back searched boxes without re-rolling them. I've seen this with Brinks too but it is very uncommon.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loomis usually just gives back searched boxes without re-rolling them. I've seen this with Brinks too but it is very uncommon.

In my area, that is not how it works. My pick-up bank and drop banks are serviced by loomis. Even though I have to bring in my dumps rolled, the tellers HAVE to un-roll them and put them in a bag in $1000 increments. There is no way that Loomis can just give back searched boxes if they are un-rolled when turned in.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one ever stops to think that all of the people on this forum are culling silver and TimZim is only ONE of them??? Is it just easier to blame the coin processors?

The problem is that silver is not making to the processor, it get culled long before that. Collect stamps instead.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would take to long to pull the silver out. No way

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got a box from Strings and they were all MWRs of dimes. I opened them and what a stinker!! No silver and weirdly enough no canadian. I always find canadian in dime rolls. This was the first time ever that I didn't find anything whatsoever. Hmm,... The mystery deepens.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all do realize there are billions and billions of coins out there right? A single skunk offers absolutely no information whatsoever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread