My Fair Lady, Hi Ho Silver & Mini Me - Colonial Finds & Goodies!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out yesterday with my good pal Bill D for some more colonial scratching. We started off back at the new site we recently located and after spending a chunk of time with the owner we were off. The first line that I took paid off immediately as within about 20 yards I unearthed my first target of the day - a late 1790's Large Cent - not a bad way to start off the morning. Things stayed steady on the slow side for most the day as this site does not have relics jumping out left and right - mostly due to the vegetative state that it is in...once it is cut - game on! Bill chimed in shortly after with a find of his own (leave it for him to post) but lets just say that the colonial silver coin lead was beginning to build - that was until I nailed a rather diminutive spanish cut silver. It looks as if it were to be a typical cut silver until the coin either broke or the owner decided to snip the rim off...ever seen anything like it - I sure have not - it is tiny! Either way Bill's lead was back down to one. Earlier in the day, I stumbled into the first pit of the season (most likely the foundation) and unearthed some sheet brass, musket balls, early thimble and the nice early fork with the wood handle partially intact.

The day went on and we decided to do some exploring. We walked some pretty property and were stunned by the lack of signals, that was until we hit the very last ridge for the day where we split up to explore. On the backside Bill hit iron and at the same time that I hit iron on the front. The difference was that Bill's was more of the 1850's variety and mine the 1600's. My first target was a hunk of pewter and then out of nowhere out popped a nice, though a little worn, 1 reale cob! (the silver count was now tied at 3-3) I hunkered down and began to unearth a few nice odds and ends, including the early 1600s (some date to 1500s) cast cone or dome buttons (some are considered spanish military used). I also recovered a nice complete spectacle buckle and nipple button. This site produced a nice early grouping of relics, though few and far.

In total - I did not hit double digits for buttons, digging just 8 or 9 of them. I did however take home 3 colonial coins and also recovered a few other nice odds and ends such as the ramrod guide, early lead bale seal, other buckle pieces and musket balls.

Looking forward to the next one.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    686.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    660.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 148
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    681.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    750.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    733 KB · Views: 136
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    458.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 13

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coming from the Tree Man?? ha ha

We have bad days, but we do honestly put in a ton of work on research and once you have enough sites there are almost always productive ones to hit when a day exploring is going bad. We have been off to a good start for the limited time we have put in. The coin was about 4" down and read like a small birdshot. The only reason I dug it was that it was repeatable and faint...was not expecting that little fella.
It truly is impressive Dan! It seems like you both find great relics and early coins every hunt. It's a real testament to the time and research you guys put into this hobby. Very impressive indeed to have that many early sites

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a good post of relics. I am envious. It makes me want to go. Wish those Colonials would have sailed down or jumped on Hi-Ho Silver and rode down to Tennessee more often :dontknow:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Dan! Something you don't know about me is that I am a very avid football fan. I love everything about the game. Since I started metal detecting back in January I've found that I love this hobby probably as much as football. I am on Bill's mailing list and really look forward to reading his articles. Since the battle of Colonial silver started I check each week to see how it's going. Although I'm extremely envious of the areas you guys have to hunt, I'm glad it's two great guys who get to have the fun.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan! Something you don't know about me is that I am a very avid football fan. I love everything about the game. Since I started metal detecting back in January I've found that I love this hobby probably as much as football. I am on Bill's mailing list and really look forward to reading his articles. Since the battle of Colonial silver started I check each week to see how it's going. Although I'm extremely envious of the areas you guys have to hunt, I'm glad it's two great guys who get to have the fun.

Beez you are in a great area - I grew up in eastern NC and even lived in Greenville for a while and dug quite a bit colonial goodies. I actually say (minus the 1600s stuff) that Eastern NC is more colonial rich than any other place I have hunted. I am sure you will get on the colonial silver soon.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gret digs dan, I really enjoy reading yours and bills posts and seeing my two favorite colonial colors on your pics, silver and green!

Great hunt!
Sorry man, just saw this. I do love those colors too, though Bill and I both hope for Colonial Gold at some point!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice assortment of early finds. Sounds like you had to work for them and maybe found a new area to revisit. Love the dome button and spectacle buckle and of course the silver tops it all off.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of early finds. Sounds like you had to work for them and maybe found a new area to revisit. Love the dome button and spectacle buckle and of course the silver tops it all off.

thanks man - work is not work when you enjoy it ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions