My family homestead permission, My first huge silver!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Family was among the first to settle North of Seattle, they turned River delta into farmground Around 1900, my Grandpa and 5 sisters grew up in this house. My grandfather was born upstairs.
image.jpg
I noticed the place was being worked recently and my wheels started turning, I had met the owner on a couple accasions, but never asked permission to hunt his property because he was renting it out.
After a series of emails, I finally convinced him I could do a clean job, and my intentions were more family history related...Bam, done deal.
I hunted 5 hours yesterday and quickly remembered how my grandfather used to bury all his trash...guess where he learned it from...It took an hour before I found some clad, I started stacking them up leaving a few coins encased in dirt balls for the homeowner to check, but I didn't expect much...I ended the day with 3 wheat cents 29',30' & 34'
I also found a belt buckle and a "ACME/RFD" mailbox padlock that was issed by U.S. Mail in 1902. The "RFD" stood for "Rural Free Delivery". This new government program brought mail to rural farmhouses often by horse and buggy. Here is the house, my first time ever on the property... image.jpg

I was happy with my take, but by this morning I felt it wasn't enough, I headed back over and started the yard slowly in a different direction. I have never dug a silver bigger than a dime, so I got a crazy big hit at 7"....I centered the target and pulled the huge plug, I scanned the hole and scanned the plug...nothing....I moved the plug over and nearly fainted, I did not know what it was other than a huge silver, probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. image.jpg
I recognized the image and noticed she was standing, no, walking! Walking Liberty Half Dollar!!
1920! My grandfather was 10 years old when this coin was minted... Worn as can be , but So cool. image.jpg image.jpg
I finished the day with some a baby spoon and a odd piece that might be from a pocket watch? It is engraved, "ALC" inside a diamond image.jpg

Upvote 46

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never found a silver bigger than a dime, 5 years swinging a metal detector. Really cool day

Almost 20 years ago I started on school clad fields and it was a blast. A year later, spurred by internet "you must find silvers or go home", I did chase sites where silver might be. That lasted only a year, and then I went hardcore colonial relics.

I do recall my first silver half. I had those as a kid but forgot how big and heavy they feel in your hand. I have not found a half in 15 years I bet, due to being only on very old cellar sites.

Keep it fun, always. No goals or trying keeping up with the Joneses. :)

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and awesome find. It's powerful to have such a direct line to history. That's why I do this! Congrats on the silver!

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 20 years ago I started on school clad fields and it was a blast. A year later, spurred by internet "you must find silvers or go home", I did chase sites where silver might be. That lasted only a year, and then I went hardcore colonial relics.

I do recall my first silver half. I had those as a kid but forgot how big and heavy they feel in your hand. I have not found a half in 15 years I bet, due to being only on very old cellar sites.

Keep it fun, always. No goals or trying keeping up with the Joneses. :)
Thank you, Ctwoods... It is good to be reminded that it isn't all about silver coins, I spent the first four years metal detecting a 1912 railroad logging camp that burned and in those 4 years I found 3 silver dimes...I love old relics and personal items more than anything. I was hoping for that at the homestead and I get silver, Haha. Sometimes you need a sense of humor in this hobby.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and awesome find. It's powerful to have such a direct line to history. That's why I do this! Congrats on the silver!
After 4 years MD a single logging camp, I can almost picture the men sitting around the cookhouse table...How else can you get such direct information. You are right, it is a powerful tool.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Family have always said my Grandfathers sister (girl in front) could walk on her hands all over the yard...I wonder if she ever tried it with a Walker in her pocket image.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool post and what a nice outcome. Hope you can keep hitting it for more memories. That watch part is actually just a simple razor hook blade used to cut roofing shingles made by AJC.The star of your show is that lovely lady on that well worn beauty of a coin..one of my favs. Congrats.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool post and what a nice outcome. Hope you can keep hitting it for more memories. That watch part is actually just a simple razor hook blade used to cut roofing shingles made by AJC.The star of your show is that lovely lady on that well worn beauty of a coin..one of my favs. Congrats.
Oh man that's funny, and it was engraved and everything...haha, I thought I had seen that piece before

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that silver half and who knows, it may have come from one of your Great Aunts or ever your Grandfather. Nice to believe it's a piece of family history and your first big silver all in one.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Walker. I remember my first one quite well, shocked me so badly, I had to go to the car and sit down for a little bit.

RFD was started in 1902, however, that lock is NOT from 1902. It is much later, probably 1930s or 1940s. They didn't make locks like that in 1902. I know this because I have one of those Locks (on left), as well as this lock (on right), which was used on mailboxes in the 19teens and 1920s. These were both found at an old post office site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_Free_Delivery

Best of luck to you sir!

Attachments

• IMG_20160403_084114_147-1.jpg
    IMG_20160403_084114_147-1.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 103

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful, old home and silver! No doubt that this will not be your last silver from this site! Congrats, and good luck on future hunts.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that silver half and who knows, it may have come from one of your Great Aunts or ever your Grandfather. Nice to believe it's a piece of family history and your first big silver all in one.
Well said, this coin is special for two reasons. Nice to think of it that way. Definately a coin to treasure, I may not find another coin more meaningful. Thank you!

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful, old home and silver! No doubt that this will not be your last silver from this site! Congrats, and good luck on future hunts.
Thank you, Tommy
very thrilled to tour the house and find a few treasures, I think my grandpa was smiling down on me...

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow what a story and site to hunt.
Cool photos and nice going on the chunk of silver.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and great find! I hope you have the opportunity to find more great family relics and coins there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
That's so cool! I've been thinking about asking permission to hunt the site where my grandfather grew up in West Seattle. So cool to think you might've found something that was his!

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth asking...I ended up giving the owners copies of the pictures I had of the house...maybe that's a way in...thanks for the comment, good luck out there in there!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice family story, and congrats on your first Walking Liberty Half. They are a beautiful coin, and to think that one may have been in your Grandpas pocket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread