Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful! Do you have your pieces graded? I would be interested to see what points of this calibre would grade at!

OP
OP
moundbuilder

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
romeo-1 said:
Beautiful! Do you have your pieces graded? I would be interested to see what points of this calibre would grade at!

thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I don't have them graded mainly because I don't buy or sell, I just like to get out and find them. I used to spend a LOT more time out walking but lately I've gotten back into collecting early glass and metal detecting.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Truly awesome. I found one like that over the summer down ther in ole kentukee. The only problem is the tip was missing and and gave it to Pete Kurlas to have it repaired, I haven't heard from it since. LOL Good to see you today Rob. We all should go out more often. That is a spectacular truncated based "kentucky" dove. Thats how they made them down there. In fact I believe Kentucky Dovetails are the best made of all the Doves. Ohio Doves tend not to be as well made in a lot of instances. That Dove you found originated in KY, I'd put money on it judging on that base, and we can't forget the material either/ ;D

OP
OP
moundbuilder

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
lostlake88 said:
Truly awesome. I found one like that over the summer down ther in ole kentukee. The only problem is the tip was missing and and gave it to Pete Kurlas to have it repaired, I haven't heard from it since. LOL Good to see you today Rob. We all should go out more often. That is a spectacular truncated based "kentucky" dove. Thats how they made them down there. In fact I believe Kentucky Dovetails are the best made of all the Doves. Ohio Doves tend not to be as well made in a lot of instances. That Dove you found originated in KY, I'd put money on it judging on that base, and we can't forget the material either/ ;D

thanks, I hope you get your Dove back! :) It was good to see you, too. Had a great time, and that police button is a killer find! let me know what you find out about the name on the back of it in regard to age. The silver pendant was nice too. We will detect a lot this spring because I plan on researching spots all winter, no fun hunting alone so we will definitely hit it hard. Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
moundbuilder

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
ohioriver hunter said:
moundbuilder said:
personal find, from Brown Co. Ohio.
I live and hunt brown county with a passion.That is nicer than my doves. Super find! Find anywhere near aberdeen,ripley?
Jeff
[/quote

hi Jeff,

Eagle Creek, but the farm is no longer there. VERY close to Ripley.... I hunted all over Brown Co. for years and years until the tobacco went away. Hardly even worth the time to hunt in that area any more. MB

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
moundbuilder said:
ohioriver hunter said:
moundbuilder said:
personal find, from Brown Co. Ohio.
I live and hunt brown county with a passion.That is nicer than my doves. Super find! Find anywhere near aberdeen,ripley?
Jeff
[/quote

hi Jeff,

Eagle Creek, but the farm is no longer there. VERY close to Ripley.... I hunted all over Brown Co. for years and years until the tobacco went away. Hardly even worth the time to hunt in that area any more. MB
Your right,it is not nearly as good as it was before the tobacco nearly went away,but the same goes for northern Ky. as well.There is still some good sites though.But when I was a kid,I,m now 47 it was nothing to fill your pockets with nice finds.I don,t live far from eagle creek.There have been many museum quality artifacts from along creek.My late papa found a cache of dovetails along the creek,all broken in half in the forties.
Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread