My find from today

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Got out for the day with my buddy John. Just wanted to share my find.

BrettCo

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519602807.363152.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519602820.248770.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519602831.767251.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1519602854.802379.jpg

Upvote 0

nmtreasure

Feb 16, 2018
NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see little knapping. How is determined to be a true arrowhead vs a random rock? Serious question, I am trying to learn.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! I was stoked.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see little knapping. How is determined to be a true arrowhead vs a random rock? Serious question, I am trying to learn.

The little knapping and it’s shape is what I saw when I picked it up. Once you hold it in your hands, there is no questioning it. They have a symmetry about them that I also look for. When all three of those elements are together, there is usually no questioning what you have.

I’m no good at stone material and types of artifacts and their shapes (I’m still learning too), but I’m positive knowing that additional information will make you find things and identify them even faster. Hope that helps.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@nmtreasure this one has been tossed around in the water for quite a long while. Sometimes finding points in the water and being tossed around in tides wears down the point. I had the opportunity to hold the point today and pictures don’t do it justice. Plus the material is weird my first thoughts was it was ironstone because it was a little gritty but possibly argillite or siltstone. Def a material I am not too used to seeing.

Last edited:

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool/ODD point!! I found a larger point here on my place that was made of softer material and was weathered like yours. All the working marks were gone, but it had an almost perfect ground base.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

There's no doubt it's a point. Given the find location, like other examples I have seen posted on forums in recent weeks, it may very well be Lockatong Argillite, sourced in Pa and NJ. I don't believe any material weathers in an extreme fashion, in water or not in water, to the point of sometimes erasing the flaking, to the extent shown by Lockatong Argillite, and it does resemble that material...

IMG_9818.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Roseville seems a very reasonable call. If found in New England, it would likely be either a Roseville, or it might also pass as a Middle Archaic Stark, which is a New England analog to the Mid Atlantic Morrow Mountain series. I think it's a nice find by any name...

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might throw Neville into it or a Neville Starks variant...mjm

nmtreasure

Feb 16, 2018
NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no doubt it's a point. Given the find location, like other examples I have seen posted on forums in recent weeks, it may very well be Lockatong Argillite, sourced in Pa and NJ. I don't believe any material weathers in an extreme fashion, in water or not in water, to the point of sometimes erasing the flaking, to the extent shown by Lockatong Argillite, and it does resemble that material...

View attachment 1556002

Thanks Charl. I didn't realize points were made out of this type of material. I will definitely keep an eye out for this type of stuff.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool point find!! I find some different material from the norm in my area every once in a while. Have to have an open mind when looking in creeks as to colors I go by shapes most of the time. It takes a lot of bending when you hunt like that but you find many more than the most cause they will miss them.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool point find!! I find some different material from the norm in my area every once in a while. Have to have an open mind when looking in creeks as to colors I go by shapes most of the time. It takes a lot of bending when you hunt like that but you find many more than the most cause they will miss them.

Thanks! I’ve been trying to slow my pace down a lot lately. It’s been helping. Learning new things every time I go out.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I’ve been trying to slow my pace down a lot lately. It’s been helping. Learning new things every time I go out.

Walk 1 direction all the way around then reverse it to get another angle you can even crisscross if you like it. I dont usually do the last one but some do. Stand at the down stream section and then squat to get a close look at the gravel bar to see where the main current went over the bar and check it 1st you will find most of them there. Dont forget the edge that goes along the bank they get snagged there in the roots where the gravel hits the bank in a "V" trough most miss that section.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walk 1 direction all the way around then reverse it to get another angle you can even crisscross if you like it. I dont usually do the last one but some do. Stand at the down stream section and then squat to get a close look at the gravel bar to see where the main current went over the bar and check it 1st you will find most of them there. Dont forget the edge that goes along the bank they get snagged there in the roots where the gravel hits the bank in a "V" trough most miss that section.

Great advice as usual. Thanks rock!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread