My Findings

F

Fuzzywuzzy

I was cleaning my appartment and found a 1906 poor condition Liberty Nickle. Even with poor sell value it still holds value to me as a collector.

Bellow are coins and such that i have picked up over the years.
The first 2 pictures are as followed(left to right, top to bottom):

Possible Pure Silver (if not mostly and in decent condition) Dime, yr. 1948
Possible Pure Silver (if not mostly and in very good condition for the most part) Nickle, yr. 1943
Liberty Nickle (poor condition), yr. 1906
Buffalo Nickle (Fairly decent condition from what i can see), yr. 1937
Heat/Stressed Golden Penny (found it on the street when i was a child, holds no cash value but still pretty neat), yr. 1998
Canadian Penny Showing Georgivs VI D:G: Rex ET Ind: Imp: Text around the outside featuring a mans face on the front(good condition), yr. 1942

Side Note: Notice on the Dime, Nickle(1943), And the Quarters all have a little extra that is not found on todays coins. On the dime, if you look just to the left of the base of the torch on the back, you will see a small "s". You will also find that on the nickle but at the top just under the text on the back; however the S on the nickle is easier to spot because of its location and size. On the quarters you will not find an "s" but you will find a "d" just below the middle leaves on the backside of the quarters.

In pcitures 3(faces) and 4(backs) you will see 3 Quarters from the yr. of 1964. All of which ( like the dime and nickle that could be mostly silver) hold simliar qualities as the nickle and dime from the first 2 pictures such as weight difference between these and modern coins. Also the quarters and Dime do not have a Copper edge on them. All 5 of these coins also have a different texture. They all also sound differently when they jingle together.

In picture 5 you will see a piece of silver with a woman catching coins that are falling from a cornacopia thats apears to be her ear with a blind fold and wheat behind her ear. from what i have been told, this was to symbolize harvest and posibly created in egypt.(One Troy Ounce 999 fine Silver)

Attachments

• NickleDimePennyBack.jpg
    NickleDimePennyBack.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 494
  • NickleDimePennyFace.jpg
    NickleDimePennyFace.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 483
  • SlvQuarters Faces.jpg
    SlvQuarters Faces.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 487
  • SlvQuarters Backs.jpg
    SlvQuarters Backs.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 492
  • Troy Silver.jpg
    Troy Silver.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 487
Upvote 0

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Re: Found 1906 US nickle

Nice nickel Fuzzy! It isn't a rare date, but someone will be able to tell you today's value.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Welcome to the forum Fuzzywuzzy a good guideline might be ebay. Congratulations on your find.

Postalrevnant

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

It looks like they are having a real tough time selling them for 99-cents on Ebay. I'd say its worth about 50 cents--just a guess, really.

OP
OP
F

Fuzzywuzzy

Actually, i see one on ebay going for $20.00 i guess its called the liberty nickle :)

indepmo

Aug 6, 2006
Independence, MO

There might be one listed for that price, but 0 bids.
Best thing to do is an advanced search on ebay for this item that's already ended.
That will show you the "going (or gone) price"

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

A 1906 Liberty head nickel isn't worth a whole lot, even in higher grades.

Coin values go by the condition a coin is in (wear, scratches, etc.) and rarity. This particular issue had 38,613,725 coins minted. A great many exist today.

As for condition, yours is in G-4 condition as none of the letters in Liberty (written across the head band) appear. The condition ranges from G-4 to MS 60+.

The letters stand for
(G) Good
(VG) Very good
(F) Fine
(VF) Very fine
(EF or XF) Extremely fine
(AU) About uncirculated
(MS) Mint State

Sorry to say this, but 50 cents seems about right for this coin, as its neither rare nor in that good of shape. Perhaps the one selling on e-bay is a EF coin?

Anyways, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, so here is some good news for you.... Anytime you find a coin THAT old, hang on to it. It may not be worth a whole lot value wise, but the history of it is facinating. Check into the coinage of the US and become better informed as to what is out there, you'll soon learn the ins and outs of coins in short time. Plus, the more info you have, the less likely you'll be taking that 20 dollar coin off e-bay, if it doesn't deserve that kindof price.

Buying, selling, and even finding older coins is a great hobby, one I hope you will continue to pursue. Don't be let down too much by this! :)

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
get yourself a detector........... theres gree coins everywhere..........make yourself a huge collection.... :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana
The s on the dime and the nickel means they were minted in San Francisco, California. Yes, the dime is silver, and the nickel is whats called the silver war time nickel with some silver content. These are easy to identify by the large mint mark above the dome where your "s" is. The letter "d" on your 64 silver quarters means they were minted in Denver, Colorado. A coin with no mint mark is a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania mint. They moved the mint location on coins such as the dime and nickel from the reverse to the front side, or obverse, by the date. 1964 was the last year for the silver dimes and quarters.

Showtime

Jul 4, 2006
Northern Virginia
The buffalo nickle looks like it's in Vg/F condition. Key things to look for are the horn and tail on the buffalo and the braid on the Indian. If there is a mint mark it would be located under the "Five Cents" directly under the Buffalo's hooves. 1937 was the last full year of this coin, there were some minted in Denver in 1938 but in '38 the Jefferson nickle was kicked off. It's a perfectly good coin but not worth much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread