Read all about it.....relic found in ditch slop!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Our pipe layers dredged a couple buckets of slop from a creek bed in the downtown area of Vassar today.They had dumped it in our staging area to dry out and as I was driving by I noticed a bottle in the mess.I stopped and poked around for awhile finding a couple bottles from the 40s or 50s and one broken whisky bottle that was a bit older.Having satisfied my eyes I thought I might give my ears a go at it and swept the pile with my detector.Found two larger targets that were covered with mud and at the time unidentifiable.Lucky for me there is an artesian well on the site with a spigot.I put my thumb over the spigot to form a makeshift power washer and cleaned my finds off.The first item turned out to be a brass light fixture.It was pretty old but in real rough shape.(It didnt make it home with me). Second item, to my enjoyment,turned out to be a copper printers plate.Its about 4X6 and is in quite good shape.It is an advertisement for "The new De Laval Cream Seperator"...Very cool. Ive got a nice piece of oak in the garage and Im thinkin Ill make a new backer for this piece and maybe hang it on the wall. Thanks for lookin and the best of luck to all....Joe

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,029
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW Joe! That is a great find! Might better go over that area again too!

Congrats! Nana ;)

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Joe that has to be one of the most unique finds I have seen posted. That would make a great conversation piece would love to see what it looks like after you mount it on the Oak. HH Ted

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
How cool is that? Great title as well. That's certainly a very nice relic. A person would be hard pressed to find another one.

Postalrevnant

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
That printing plate ad is cool, but are you sure its for printing? I admit I have no clue about these things, but in the photo the letters look like they 'poke out' from the background and are legible. If it were for printing the writing would appear backwards, wouldn't it?

In any case, if you don't hang it on your wall, you might get a nice sum for it on Ebay. That is exactly the niche market collectible kind of thingy that might surprise you with it's closing bid.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice...will make a great rustick decoration.

HH
-GC

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W :o W what a find!! Really unique.

;) RR

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find for sure, would that be early 1900s, any idea? HH, Mike

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Great find, Jopher! As a matter of fact, there's quite a bit of collector interest in DeLaval cream separators.

If you'll take the plate to a good local printing shop, they can probably ink it up and pull a few proofs (printed sheets) from it for you. Frame one of those next to the plate, and you've got a great display!

OP
OP
jopher

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Thanks for all of the kind replys.I mirror imaged the photo so that the scripting appeared normal.
I was interested if anyone would notice the print not being backward....Good job MLW!
Today, I had to enter a building along the site (with the owners permission) to throw the breaker off before disconnecting the power outside.(I have to drive sheet piling very near the line).Anyway...Near the breaker box in this somewhat deserted building is a makeshift medicine type cabinet on the wall.The door of the cabinet is a tin sign about 16X20 inches advertising......De Laval cream separators!The sign is in great shape and just blew me away!
I havent seen the property owner since but Im gonna track him down and see what it would take to get him to part with it.That would be a great piece to accompany the printing plate.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice lookin' piece Jopher.....Oak would look alright but i'd go with a mahogany or walnut...something dark!!And if that was worked related,I'd charge em' overtime ;)...Congrat's and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread