My finds from my first hunt.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all had to start somewhere!! I would recommend using cheap gloves to cover your hands while digging. They might get hot, but they are well worth it after you get a nasty cut from a piece of glass or metal!

Good luck!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ditto on the gloves and someone ought to start a contest here on how many pull tabs you can dig in a day.
Don't give up and go back over the spots you took the pull tabs from in a couple of days, you may just find something else there once you get the area cleaned up.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
But the best part is next hunt you might recover something beyond your wildest dreams!

Be sure you dig everything, and not just what you think is a coin. I'm a "newbie" myself, so keep after it ;) Try & hunt somewhere you're pretty much sure there are some coins (elementary school playground or local neighborhood park).

Good luck!
Smitty

Gulfcapt25

Aug 23, 2007
New Orleans La - The Big Easy-
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Tim,
Where did you go search for your first time? I just started metal detecting myself with the Ace 250. I would try a playground or a school. I have been metal detecting at a local playground, and been having great success finding clad coins and other odds and ends. No rings yet. I have been searching near a drink stand and its one coin after another. Dont give up keep digging. John

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Think of pull tabs as the great equalizer. If you don't dig them you won't find gold, no matter how fancy your detector is.

You might want to shoot for copper and silver tones in a location that has coins in the ground first, but don't ignore those pull tab signals completely.

If you do you'll be missin' all the nickels! (and gold rings).

Keep practicing!

Ridley

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
tim31174 said:
Sorry I didn't post pictures, but I'm sure you all know what pull tabs look like. I found a hand full of pull tabs, thats it.

But I did learn 1 important lesson, pull tabs can cut the begeesus out of your fingers. Ouch that thing was sharp.

HA!! You said, "begeesus". That puts you
in the 30+ age bracket. The only youngins
I've ever heard say that word are my own,
and they just say it to make fun of me. LOL

OP
OP
T

tim31174

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2007
Rome Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yeah I am over 30 , but I picked up the word begeesus from a girl at work it always makes me laugh.

Mike in Fla.

Sep 4, 2005
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab Exp. II, Garrett Ace 250, GTXA 1000,
Ridley said it best, if you don't dig the pull tabs, you will not find gold. I saw one guy on the forum actually keeps all his pull tabs and then takes them in for salvage.
Things will get better as you learn places to hunt and you learn your detector.

Good luck and HH

Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me. ;D It get's better! ;) Welcome to Tnet!

Nana :)

OP
OP
T

tim31174

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2007
Rome Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Gulfcapt25 said:
Hey Tim,
Where did you go search for your first time?

I picked a small field between the old mill here in town, and what was once the Mill Store. The Building was built around 1903. Downstairs was the Mill Store, and upstairs was a pool hall and Rec area, the small field was used as a rest area/park for mill workers for about 50 years until the mill closed. The building was the used as a Masonic Lodge in the 70's and 80's, and is now owned by my company.

Just seemed like a good place to start, since its right outside my office.

P

Pentico

Hey Tim,
Keep going at it.
We are kind of new to the hobby (3 months) and use the ACE 250 too.
It is taking some time to learn but we are really getting the hang of it.
We started off in parks and school play grounds. Sand, rock and wood chips got us learning how the Ace 250 works.
Welcome to TNet.
You will find more information here than any where about the hobby.
99% of the great folks here will help you with just about any thing.
We would be lost without this site.
Keep swinging and great finds are yours.
ChrisP

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, Tim. Keep at it! It only gets better! 8) :)

I wear rubber-coated cotton gloves when I hunt. Protects my hands and keeps them clean.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Grats on your new Ace and welcome to Tnet :)
I know the book and many people tell you to start out in the
all metal mode to learn your detector ,and while I'm sure its good
advice , I think it would be much better (for a first time user) to
start out in "Coins" mode , to get the feel of the detector and learn
the good signals. After a few hours in coins mode then switch to Jewelry mode and go back over the same spot. and in both cases dig everything. After you've done that then go over the same spot in
all metal mode. In trashy areas all metal mode will drive you crazy ,
its just the way it is. Although its very important to learn all the signals your machine can make , its still important to HAVE FUN , and
by starting out in coins mode and digging a few goodies you will hopefully stay interested and stick with it.
Keep swingin and keep us posted :)

Doozis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread