My finds with Bill...coin drought still ongoing...but dug a ton of signals

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it was cold yesterday, but we braved the elements and headed out. This particular site has a 1800's era house site though we began to find a 1700s site nearby during the last trip. We decided to hunker down and boy it paid off (especially for Bill). My take for the day was 18 buttons, most of which were 1700's era, the broken trapezoidal buckle, and other odds and ends.

I did dig a cut coin! Can you imagine what I was thinking when this thing popped out amongst the colonial buttons? It ended up being a tin cut token ha ha. Other than that, i dug two other solid silver signals, both of which were not to be coins.

The drought continues, but I plan to break it with a vengeance soon. It is offically 1 month in and over two months since I dug a colonial coin....I am getting the shakes man!
HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    824.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    643.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    624 KB · Views: 159
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 14

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all had a very productive hunt. I bet that cut token did throw you for a loop!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, you had me going on that cut coin. It looked just like half of a 2 reale before I could see it up close. That has to be the ultimate bummer. I didn't think that field had another 40 buttons to surrender, but after yesterday I wouldn't be surprised if it gives up another 40 (and hopefully a coin or two) with a little additional effort on our part. In spite of not digging a colonial coin I still thought that was a very enjoyable hunt, and helped to take our minds off the cold. Lookin' forward to the next time ....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of holes that produced buttons and do dads, still made for an interesting hunt. Had a chuckle at the fork, now thats a piece of art. Whats this item in photo one left top?

1a.JPG

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I know you like to dig colonial coins (as I do) but that is a great assortment of colonial relics. Definitely a successful day of digging in my book. I've dug a couple of those combs before - was it for grooming horses?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys killed it with those finds. Great looking bunch!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coins will come soon digging that many nice relics! HH!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll break the coin drought soon. Lots of great signs there, so I'm certain someone will get a coin from that field!

Do you know what the heavy brass comb (top left photo, top left) was for? I had thought those dated later, like 1920s, but it well may be that the ones I've been digging down here are antebellum.

Best Wishes,

Buck

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug several of those brass combs and every time I dig KG coppers near them I was told they were horse combs. And dated to that time period up through the early 1900s. Not sure just going by what I was told.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know what you mean about the coin drought, and I understand, BUT... I'd take that pile of goodies you did get any day. great finds! I guess your grounds not as frozen as it here across the bay.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a lot of solid signals with no coins. But still a super fun day. And when one of you digs a rare patriotic button....that's an awesome day in my book

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan - what kind of comb did you say that was? Many years ago I found one of those and still have no idea what it was used for? Did you find it near the 19th century house site, or in the area where we were digging the older finds?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - what kind of comb did you say that was? Many years ago I found one of those and still have no idea what it was used for? Did you find it near the 19th century house site, or in the area where we were digging the older finds?
It is a brass curry comb...they typically date 1850s-1890s. I don't think they date to the 1700s, would not think so as the cost of brass...and that is a lot of brass. Believe it or not, that was the first target I dug, on top of the hill where we dug the last buttons....this one has no writing on it. The other ones that I have dug do and are easier to date. The earliest I have found was an 1850's era one, the newest was 1880s.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cut token is pretty odd.....

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of digging to keep you busy there and by the looks of things, a place you will hit again and again...thanks for sharing..

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice digs Dan, you are due for a coin in the near future. Good luck with the rest of that site.
-Evan

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it was cold yesterday, but we braved the elements and headed out. This particular site has a 1800's era house site though we began to find a 1700s site nearby during the last trip. We decided to hunker down and boy it paid off (especially for Bill). My take for the day was 18 buttons, most of which were 1700's era, the broken trapezoidal buckle, and other odds and ends.

I did dig a cut coin! Can you imagine what I was thinking when this thing popped out amongst the colonial buttons? It ended up being a tin cut token ha ha. Other than that, i dug two other solid silver signals, both of which were not to be coins.

The drought continues, but I plan to break it with a vengeance soon. It is offically 1 month in and over two months since I dug a colonial coin....I am getting the shakes man!
HH

Dan

Dan – I feel your pain, but at least you can get out. I’ve got double shakes right now – shakes from not getting out to detect (withdrawal) and shakes from the awful weather up in New England. Here I am digging out last week, and we got hit with another storm today.

View attachment 1114781

It will go down to about 7-degrees tonight. I passing the time with research and some other projects. :icon_study:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice finds! Congrats!

I feel for ya! You'll get your CC soon, keep the faith!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread