My Finished Robert E Lee Drawing

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
image-424440201.jpg finished this last night. I feel very accomplished.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You have talent my friend! Keep posting!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hats off to you, a great drawing of a great man.....

What is the size?.

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good. You should be proud of your talent. Wonderful.

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb!!! You did an excellent job shading. I see you used the old grid technique.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is a wonderful piece. . . it looks great! Yep, you have talent.

Have you thought of making signed, open edition reproductions of your piece?

My father was a commercial artist in the Chicago area and did a montage illustrations
of notable architectural landmark buildings in Chicago. He had reproductions made from
his original and literally sold thousands of these to frame & giftshops in the area. There's
no reason you can't do the same. . . and still retain your original art.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is a wonderful piece. . . it looks great! Yep, you have talent.

Have you thought of making signed, open edition reproductions of your piece?

My father was a commercial artist in the Chicago area and did a montage illustrations
of notable architectural landmark buildings in Chicago. He had reproductions made from
his original and literally sold thousands of these to frame & giftshops in the area. There's
no reason you can't do the same. . . and still retain your original art.

I would think it is a copy-write infringement to sell reproductions of a study! I guess if the photo is public domain it would be ok, however still a study since General Lee did not sit for the drawing and it is a 1 off of the photo. Most of my work has been the same and I would never try and make reproductions of it and call it original work.
Airscapesart.com

OP
OP
ekeisler

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
Thanks guys. The beard and facial hair took all of last night. I'm so happy with it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great talent there. Fantastic drawing. :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
ekeisler

ekeisler

Apr 6, 2013
Thanks everyone. Here's a better picture and a picture of the progress I made from class to class.

image-540939041.jpg

image-2158868010.jpg

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ekeisler, it turned out really nice, what kind of paper did you use, and did you use a full set of pencils or just one grade? You mentioned you worked on it in class, was this an signed project in an art class or just something to do in some other boring class?

I have only done one photo realistic pencil drawing as it really takes a long time to build up the layers of graphite to achieve an even dark tone.. and even then it is never black always gray.
I found that using hot press illustration board worked well for pencil as it is very hard and smooth. You do not have to worry about burnishing the paper to get rid of grain or pushing to hard and damaging the the surface.
My 7B and 8B pencil also got used up real fast as the hair in my drawing had very dark areas!
One thing that really helped me was a product called blu-tack, Mike Sibley has a real nice tutorial on how to use and I have to say, I would never have been able to do the pencil drawing without it. Works for charcoal as well ERASING PENCIL with BLU-TACK wall putty at MIKE SIBLEY FINE ART The way you can lift off very fine layers of graphite is just awesome for portraits.
If you decide to frame this, make sure you use non glare glass, it will every so slightly soften the look of the drawing and eliminate the graphite "SHINE" you tend to get in dark ares.
Also lets you see the drawing rather than the reflections of the room in the glare of the glass!
Keep up the great work, you have inspired me to do a charcoal (burnt stick scratching :) ), it has been over a year since I did any type of drawing or painting!

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
attachment.php
Nice Drawing. I usually use cold press, I like the texture and I usually work over the drawing with pastels. I originate a lot of my work in the computer, actually drawing on my Graphire pad and using Painter 9.5 . It's kind of like using the camera obscura that was developed in Paris in 1855. I coat my work with polyurathane rather than mount with glass which I don't like, even the non glare type. This method is far easier than the grid method and still produces original work. I use da Vinci sketches as some of my base images. In Painter 9.5 you remove the original sketch upon completion. I used that method on this one. Frank...
111-2 700Warrior Head.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread