My First Bag of Halves off the Coin Machine - PICs Added.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I got impatient waiting for a bag of halves off of the coin machine so I decided to offer to top off the bag at the bank that I knew to be closest to being full.

I went in, the head teller was at the counter and recognized me immediately. He smiled and nodded when he saw me come in. He was probably figuring I was going to remind him that I was waiting for halves. I told him my plan to top off his bag of half dollars and he said "sure, no problem." He checked and said that there was $756 in the bag. I gave him a pail of loose halves and he filled er up. When he plopped the clear plastic bag on the teller counter, I immediately (but discretely) began edge checking and date checking. I was sure I saw 3 definites and 2-3 more probables. I was excited.

When I got home, I set up a system where I lined them up in batches of about 30 coins and my girls looked at the edges. The 3rd and 5th batch of 30 coins netted a silver '67ken and '62ben respectively (first Benjamin we've found CRH'ing). At this point, I was certain the bag was loaded - there were over 1800 more coins to go and we'd already found 2. A short time later, we found 2 more - another '67 and a '69. I still had that feeling that they were going to keep coming. That was it though, almost. The girls checked stack after stack and started to get discouraged. They stopped 3/4 through and I finished, there was one more - a '68.

All said and done:
'62 Franklin
'67 Kennedy
'67 Kennedy
'68D Kennedy
'69 Kennedy
'71 Kennedy, possible lamination mint error - will post PICs in follow-up

'78 US Cent ($0.027 melt value)
'89 US Cent ($0.01 face value)
'92D US Cent ($0.01 face value)

'97 Diez Peso ($0.83 for exchange)
'98 Diez Peso ($0.83 for exchange)
'04 Diez Peso ($0.83 for exchange)
worn date Diez Peso ($0.83 for exchange)

undated Car Wash Tokens [x4] ($4-$6 each market value - retail)

undated Drink token to gay bar in Chicago, IL (unknown market value, either $25 or $0.25 :dontknow: ) http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor..._id=89596&td_create_uid=30&record_offset=8786

undated costume jewelery earring with bent post (unknown melt value :laughing9:)

undated hand painted doll head, man's head, black hair, white/black eyes (unknown market value :laughing9:)

I confirmed by count that the pesos, tokens, AND CENTS were all included in the count. The earring and doll head were not.

It was an OK bag.

I don't mind buying car washes for $0.50 (3 of the 4 are local car washes. The 4th is somewhere that we travel to by car occasionally.)

The $1.47 loss on the cents were adequately offset by finding silver. :icon_thumright:

I don't plan on visiting The Oasis in Chicago, so that one is available for trade :laughing9:.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: My First Bag of Halves off the Coin Machine

The PICs

Attachments

• IMG_6880 (Small).JPG
    IMG_6880 (Small).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_6881 (Small).JPG
    IMG_6881 (Small).JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_6883 (Small).JPG
    IMG_6883 (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_6884 (Small).JPG
    IMG_6884 (Small).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 648

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice haul, did any "foreign objects" replace any half dollars, or did they slip into the bag undetected and you got them as a bonus?

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
BuffaloBoy said:
nice haul, did any "foreign objects" replace any half dollars, or did they slip into the bag undetected and you got them as a bonus?

The car wash tokens (x4) counted as halves.
The pesos (x4) counted as halves.
The drink token counted.
The 3 pennies all counted.
The earring and doll head did not.

There were 1988 half dollars anyway. I'm guessing at what did and did not count.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that 71 you have posted at the end is the one you are thinking may be a lamination error, it is post mint damage. It has been in a fire and had some bubbles form internally from the heat. You can see some of the black from the fire around the some of the features. Someone cleaned it up quite a bit.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
wayne1956 said:
If that 71 you have posted at the end is the one you are thinking may be a lamination error, it is post mint damage. It has been in a fire and had some bubbles form internally from the heat. You can see some of the black from the fire around the some of the features. Someone cleaned it up quite a bit.

Yeah, that has been confirmed - the expert says someone probably used a torch on it. It is so bizarre, the coin is not out of round at all. The features are not distorted at all. It is not discolored (other than the black blotches). There are just bulges. What had me puzzled was that it bulged in both directions, so it couldn't be dented. I'm thinking of cutting it open to see the innards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread