My First BREASTPLATE!!! How OLD?

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone on T-Net!! I haven't posted in awhile, because I haven't had much to show lately UNTIL today!!!:headbang: . Well today was a day I won't forget for along time. Started out digging Flat buttons. Lord I was in heaven. Signals. Haven't heard those sounds in awhile. Well the Highlight of the day was a screamer. 90 on ATPro. Dug my plug and nails were coming out of the hole. I rescanned and still a high screamer. Dug down and found a round dull looking disk. I could see the Wing of the breastplate!!! Boy did I let out a rebel yell! I was excited. The only thing that threw me off was the way the metal looked. It looked like old pewter. Not Brass like most Breastplates. Got it home and cleaned it up and out popped the Eagle. It looked different than most I have seen on the internet. Still trying to find one, but I haven't found one exactly like it yet. Hopefully Quindy or anyone can chime in and help me out. Well after the Breastplate signals got slim and I ended up changing sites and found a General service Eagle button and a couple of cool Heel plates. Man I sure hope you guys can help me narrow this find down. I am still on Cloud nine. I hope you all enjoy my pictures from today. Missed you all on T-net!!:thumbsup: But I am back...Zaxfire69

Last edited:
Upvote 16
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking closely I don't know if this isn't one entire piece of metal instead of a front plate and solder. . I have the experts checking it out. Maybe we will find something conclusive soon!

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright !!! The word is in! This is not a semi metal shoulder plate, but it is still a special find. I sent pictures to the Author of The American Military Belt Plate book Mike O'Donnell. He said that My shoulder plate is one that is NOT in his book and he is sure it isn't a a Semi Metal Plate. He said the eagle style in my plate is one he hasn't seen. He said there are over 50 different variations that were made. If it isn't in his book and he hasn't seen it guess I will have to just display it proudly until I can take it to Vicksburg Annual relic Show next year. Until them it will sit in a Rikers case. Cannonballguy and Quindy thanks for all your time and help. It's guys like you that keep me loving our hobby!

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plate.jpg

The shoulder plate in its SGT. Rikers Case. Solder on back of plate has been sealed to prevent further scaling. Now to wait to bring it to the Vicksburg Relic Show in 2014!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread