My first cache

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
Got a tip from a man whos father had recently passed. He said that he would always see his dad go into the woods behind their house before special events like birthdays and Christmas. This obviously set off all the bells in my head because Iv been wanting to find a cache for a while. I think I found what the man was describing but it isnt worth much at all. Was still fun though. I was detecting up a a hill from the creek and kept finding trash and I found a rusty pocket knife then next to a big oak tree, I was getting some pretty sporadic hits and I wasn't going to dig it but then I thought I should any way. First thing I saw was the lid of a mason jar, this got my heart racing. Then when I pulled it out of the ground I could see coins inside, opening it up and dumping it in my hand I realized its nothing more than a handful of buffalo nickels, very badly worn. Then I realized that my dads friend had grown up pretty poor and would always tell stories about how his presents would always just be a bottle of coke and a nickel. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• image-2460183102.jpg
    image-2460183102.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 298
  • image-3418867385.jpg
    image-3418867385.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 258

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
bblaha, Near trees is a popular spot to cache. I once found a small metal box with two small cars, like the matchbox cars, but older. After examening them, I placed them back in there place for the cachier. I figured, some day he might return for that old cache. Well you broke the first cachier barrier, now you can move on to bigger and better caches, but remember they will require more research. good luck. frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

K

Kentucky Kache

Hey, a cache is a cache. You are now a cache hunter, and a cache finder. Congrats.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
the bug done bit you bb, your life is ruined. he he, kiddin' wit cha. just keep going.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
BBLAHA, Keep looking. Where there is one, often there are more.:icon_scratch:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Check under Louisania post section for a list of old plantations. One has a couple of hundred thousand still there. hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cache meant a lot ,value wise to hider. A lot of birthdays banked. Great find with providence to boot.

OP
OP
bblaha

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
made my summer, I hope to have that feeling again

ihatedirtbikes

Feb 22, 2012
virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus DMCII-Ba
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id keep checking the area. i couldnt see someone going out of their way just to cache a few nickels. not saying i wouldnt be stoked with the find, but my gut is telling me that there is more

OP
OP
bblaha

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
I'll keep that in mind. Iv been looking everywhere but haven't found anything else. Iv covered the immediate area pretty well. I'm going to start branching out further soon though

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy bought a house two hermit bachelors lived in for years, and he has found 9 small caches over the years. Never more than a few hundred dollars, but if this guy buried one jar you can be sure there are more. Keep looking, and good luck.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the story more than the find. History is a big part of TH'ing. thanks for sharing your story with us.

captain ahab

Jan 4, 2005
colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I think your cache story and find are both great! Those nickels may not have much redeemable cash value, but the history of the cache and the determination through the hard-times that it represents would make it one of my favorite finds. Hell, just reading your post made me happy. Congratulations!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread