My first Civil War button-and its a block "A"!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first Civil War button-and it's a block "A"!

I guess the button gods were looking on me favorably last week. After digging the pewter Royal Provincial Revolutionary War button last Tuesday in the SC Lowcountry I decided to try a new place closer to home yesterday. It's a large area that is being cleared to build a subdivision, and the trees were just knocked down last week. I was the first to hit it, so I put in about six hours of walking and digging.

The place is loaded with what Dirtstalker calls "12th Georgia buttons" (shotgun shells) and .22 bullets and casings. There had been some serious hunting going on in those woods over the years. The first decent find of the day was a tombac cuff button with the shank intact. Next I dug a forged iron "J" hook with a loop that looks like a strap may have been attached to it-not sure what it was used for & if anyone has an idea please chime in.

The 18th century finds continued with a musket ball. Then after countless shotgun shells I finally hit pay dirt. I hit a good signal 3-4 inches deep and when I pulled it out of the dirt I saw a block "A" on the front of a two-piece button and knew right away what I had-a Confederate Artillery uniform button. I have been hoping to find a Civil War button for a long time, but never imagined that I would find a Confederate button-especially in such good condition. After that I detected a while longer without finding anything worth keeping and called it a day-a very good day indeed!

20160515_150159-1.jpg 20160516_081850_001-1_resized (2).jpg 20160516_081838-1.jpg 20160515_233017-1-1-1.jpg 20160515_233124-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 31

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a nice A button!

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find! In good condition too. Big congrats!

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a keeper!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find! man that thing is in good shape.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice! Great job!

Greg

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Button Glenn. What a first CW button Confederate A and a local to boot. Congratulations and where you say you bought your machine..:laughing7:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Thats a really nice one. I was just saying to Ahab8 and Scrappy how bad I want to find a confederate anything... I'm simple, I'd settle for just an enfield bullet. What a great looking button man, with some amazing color on it too. Nice job clearing out the 12th Georgia Buttons to get to this nice one. I bet they all sounded the same and this Artillery was a really great surprise.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thats a really nice one. I was just saying to Ahab8 and Scrappy how bad I want to find a confederate anything... I'm simple, I'd settle for just an enfield bullet. What a great looking button man, with some amazing color on it too. Nice job clearing out the 12th Georgia Buttons to get to this nice one. I bet they all sounded the same and this Artillery was a really great surprise.

He's starting his own Army after finding 115 3 ringers at another location now he's working on the uniforms and starting off great.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dam Bud!!! That button is awesome! Congratulations!! I've never found a block A. Friend of mine found one and I was jealous of him to. Lol. Thanks for sharing

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Brad. This has definitely been one of those weeks; hopefully the golden horseshoe will hang around a little while longer (pun intended).

Maybe I should let Dirtstalker borrow the AT Pro so that he can find something good too! :laughing9: Lately he's been doing a lot of this: :BangHead: If he keeps it up he'll need stitches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread