My first coins - nothing special - 3 wheaties and a Canadian

Captain_Ahab

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Been detecting for about 2 weeks now and have found a 1934 dog tag (from a dog, not a soldier) and some old brass shell casings. Had yet to find a coin.

So I thought I would do some detecting last night in my back yard. I was working the area where the old clothes line used to be. As I worked my way up the yard I found a wad of foil and then an old hinge. As I branched out to the left a little bit I finally found a coin. Kept poking around in the hole and found all 4 of these in the same hole. It was already dark out so I called it quits. I want to hit that general area better int he coming days.

I cleaned them with a tooth brush and warm hydrogen peroxide so far. I might play around with electrolysis over the weekend as a test in case I ever find something more valuable.

penny1.png penny2.png

Upvote 5

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats ive been detecing for over a year and already you have done better than me. Nice coins,happy hunting

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I would be careful if the item is valuable. Sometimes cleaning is not all that great for the item. Just be careful is all I am saying.

It is a great start.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding and great job! When in doubt dig!

OP
OP
C

Captain_Ahab

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,

Yea I figure since these aren't rare or valuable they would be a good test for cleaning, just to make them more pleasing to look at. I would definitely think twice if I ever come across something rare. I always wondered that though, concerning the patina. I know with old rifles and things of that sort the patina is where all the worth is, if stripped off, the item is worth far less. I'm guessing it is the same with rare coins? Like if these were rare pennies they would be worth more with the grungy patina on them then if they were clean copper?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the newest coin you found was a '44 I would be hitting that yard real hard!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree. If these are your first found coins. They are very special!

WTG

HH!

MentalMetal314

Aug 29, 2013
MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I felt the same way with my first coins and still have them stuffed away. Wait till you find your first silver coin (I'm still searching lol) or your first ring. You'll get the fever for sure and then you have some time management issues cos its all you'll want to do :-) good luck out there!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the newest coin you found was a '44 I would be hitting that yard real hard!

Yes, the age of the coins you found means there could be silver lurking near by. Go find it. And don't clean any valuable old coins you find.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahh the good ol days,.. digging those first coins. if i could go back in time and dig everything ive found all over again, id do it in a minute. and id start with my own back yard where some of my best finds were. ... and it all started with just a few little wheat pennies.

jtomlinson

Jan 3, 2013
Newport
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Garret pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome congrats!!!! great find's

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:headbang: :occasion18::icon_flower: Welcome to t-net & CONGRATS ON YOUR FINE START!

It was many months before I found wheaties, and that same day I dug my first silver coin nearby. Very good chance you'll find silver coins in your yard! Andi

jrc79inNC

Sep 26, 2010
Bayern, Deutschland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, do not shoot for a recovered item being immaculately cleaned but even more worn as that will damage its value. I just shoot for basic dirt being covered and it being identifyable as enough. Ask any coin dealer or collector and I bet they can give you some kind of story how complete collections were destroyed by this immaculacy of cleaning fetish.

Shortynego

Jan 23, 2013
Very nice finds!!! It took me almost a year to find my first ring so don't loose hope... Besides there is always something interesting in the ground waiting for you other than coins and gold... That's part of the fun! :-)

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins thanks for sharing.. I agree If that's the oldest coin you found there it's just a matter of time until you pull some silver out of the ground.

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Exciting finds. Still remember the first time I find a coin. Keep hunting!:occasion14:

diggyboy

Jun 10, 2013
Nice Canadian penny! I found one like that last week from 1916 and it is one of my favorite coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread