My first ever large cent!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my wife along with me New Years Day. She is my Good Luck charm. Everytime I take her detecting with me I find a really nice find. Well first place we went to I found a really nice 1937 Buffalo Nickel. Then I found a 1948 D wheat penny. Well about 30 minutes went by and didn't find much else so we moved to another spot. Hunted out there about 45 minutes and decided to call it quits. It was cold and I know she was ready to go get into the heat. Well as we were walking to the truck I was just fast swinging and all of a sudden the Ace 250 let out a coin cry. Range was in the 25cent to 50 cent range. So I decided to dig it. Man o man am I glad I did. I cut the plug and folded it back and sitting at the bottom of the hole was a big thick copper coin. I knew right away it was a Large cent. Boy did I get real excited. Also caught it on film...Got it home and cleaned it up and come to find out it was an 1848 Large Cent. My oldest coin to date. My good luck charm is a keeper. The coin is in rough shape, but I could get a date off of her for sure. 1848..Good stuff...Hope you all enjoy the pics and video. zaxfire69
IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

daec5a79.jpg

236d4710.jpg

Upvote 0

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love pulling them big coppers. Congratulations on your first. Hopefully you'll pull out many more.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that first, Zax! :wav: She's a beauty and so is your lovely wife! You're a lucky guy in that she'll go out hunting with you! Get her a detector and let her dig up some of those keepers too! :wink:

Way to go!!!

Nana :)

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
You have a 1937 Buffalo nickel it's priceless really because of it worness.

The Buffalo Nickel,also called the Indian Nickel,was one of the most artistically progressive American coins when first issued! It was designed by James Earl Fraser.Copper-Nickel 21.2 mm. 5.0000 g. plain or D 79,485,769 made
17,826,000 made.

Large Cents...The United States Large Cent was a result of dual desires,one of a decimal coin worth one-hundredth of a dollar. Well there's allot more to wright but it's alittle bit long. :P :P oh dig this I just read! Because the hand-engraved dies with which theses coins were struck have been individually identified,large cents are actively collected by die variety. Rare die combinations can be worth much more than common ones of the same year. Metal-detector finds exhibiting porous surfaces are worth substantially less than the prices listed. Early dates are particularly difficult to find in better than well-worn condition!

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana..Ha Ha..She ain't about to stick her fingers in the dirt. No way.. :laughing9: She will mess her fingernails up. :laughing7: :thumbsup: Thanks for the comment about the picture. That was on my BBQ grill with a piece of wood on my wallet. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Civil war hunter. I love both of these coins. Check this out. This is what gets me...The large cent was minted and probably was already lost :thumbsup: in the ground when ole Abe Lincoln was still alive. That is what is crazy to me. That is what keeps me diggin.

And Civil war Hunter since you like the Buffalo Nickel so much you will for sure like this picture.
IMG_1631.jpg

They don't have the dates anymore, but we all know what they are.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Rando I been wanting to see one of those on one of my Posts. Borat rocks. :thumbsup:

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Thanks.. I have a new coin book my grandmother gave me for Christmas. I'm going to get the next book WORLDCOINS 1901 back to the 1700's.

zaxfire69 said:
Civil war hunter. I love both of these coins. Check this out. This is what gets me...The large cent was minted and probably was already lost :thumbsup: in the ground when ole Abe Lincoln was still alive. That is what is crazy to me. That is what keeps me diggin.

And Civil war Hunter since you like the Buffalo Nickel so much you will for sure like this picture.
IMG_1631.jpg

They don't have the dates anymore, but we all know what they are.

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the Large Cent Club. :thumbsup: It is always fun when you get to pull a largie out of the ground. Hopefully you get more LCs and Happy Hunting in the New Year!

digginer

Dec 25, 2009
BETTER BE CAREFUL! OR YOU WON'T BE IN PHYSICAl shape to go md'ing! the way i read your story is after you found the coin,you said your wife was a keeper,but she was in rough shape.signing your own death certificate! kind of like trying to answer the age old question they ask us,"Honey,do you think i have a big butt?" knowing the answer thr whole time! just saying,BE CAREFUL!!!! hate to loose a good md'er.by the way ,nice find,your wife too,i'm sure.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I love the big old coppers. Congrats on finding yours. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should have worded it different. I guess I should revise it. Don't wanna get killed over that.

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Zax congrats on your LC . Even though thy come out a little rough ,there great.
Nice to have the wife with you , dig some gold and she might dive in for it . :laughing9:

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allen have you ever found a coin or item that you didn't expect to find that particlar day. When I found the large cent I almost feel over. It was an awesome feeling.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think anyone answered your question you stated in the video. The red book is just saying that 1848's with the small date are counterfeits, not that all 1848's are counterfeit. I couldn't see the date on your's so its hard to say. Compare the date size with those in picture in the redbook.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I will do that in the morning. I haven't found a picture of a small date variety. I will compare the date to the regular coin picture. Thanks for the reply bearbqd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread