My first hunt with a metal detector ever

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. I got my ACE 250 in two days ago(thanks for the recommendations from the board). I took it out in the front yard for about an hour trying out different settings and listening to what it was saying but not digging anything. According to the ID on the detector, there were a few dimes and a 50 cent piece buried out there. So the next day, shovel in hand(I havent gotten a good digging tool yet) I went back out and checked the signals I had gotten the day before. I ended up digging 4 holes and found four pieces of treasure. The first two holes detected as a penny and indeed both were clad pennies dating from the 70's. The third spot showed a dime and it was indeed a clad dime dated 2005. The fourth spot was the one that registered as a 50 cent piece so after the first 3 being dead on I was stoked and my mind was swimming with thoughts of silver. Well, 4th time was not the charm and I ended up with a sardine lid. Cant win them all. So, I dug 4 holes and ended up with 2 pennies, 1 dime and 1 sardine lid. I think I did rather well my first time EVER using a metal detector.

I wasnt expecting anything old as this place has absolutely no history to it that Ive found. I am moving to my new house this weekend though and it has tons of history. There was a sawmill on my property dating to the early 1900's and other homesites dating back into the 1800's. There are several huge Oak trees that appear to be at least 150 years old, and an old concrete buried storm shelter with 1943 written in the concrete steps. I cant wait to start detecting over there.

With the ACE 250, I found it very easy to use and very accurate. The pinpointer was dead on. The depth indicator seemed to be a bit off though. Its lightweight but having never held a detector before, my arm did start complaining after about 30 minutes not being used to it. I definitely will be getting a pair of headphones as was suggested to me by members here because a neighbor of mine came over and asked me about the detector and I briefly explained that it could identify what the target was in the ground. Well, for the next 30 minutes EVERY time it even beeped she would yell out "WHATS THAT ONE?" Over and over. Talk about being driven insane. Thats why my first hunt was very short. The new place has some acreage so I wont have that problem there.

Well sorry this ended up so long but Im just kind of excited to get the new hobby off and running. I look forward to contributing in the future and hopefully will be able to report some better finds from the new place. Thanks all. :D

Upvote 0

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
nathan104 Welcome to the forum Spend some time to learn your machine. By the way you think your arm is complaining now, it gets worse soon you will need a brace..He He..
just kidding you will get use to it..Good luck . H.H.
TnT

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
As far as depth readings go this may sound stupid but some people new at this don't put two and two together. If the depth reading says 4" and your coil is an inch off the ground the ACTUAL depth will be 3". Also remember that depth is calibrated for coin sized objects. Smaller targets will read deeper than they actually are and large objects will read more shallow. Have fun.

Two Dogs

Aug 24, 2005
York, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Various models of White and Garrett
Welcome to the wonderful world of finding things! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your Ace 250. I gave my brother one for Christmas. He, like the rest of us, is now hooked on treasure hunting. It's a wonderful and fulfilling hobby and you get to meet tons of really nice people. Good luck with your hunting. I'll look forward to reading about your many finds. Two Dogs

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
N 104,

welcome to the board; sounds like you and your
machine are off on a good start.

They say anything has it's collectors.

Any chance of of a photo of the sardine lid ;)

have a good un...........

D

doctorgrant2001

Looking for places in North Carolina

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ Hi. I have been looking for sites to metal detect around Jacksonville, NC. I have searched and searched and I can't find anything or anyone to help. I've tried the beaches and only found 50 cal. rounds... I am a corpsman with a Marine unit and I do this in my spare time. Also if you know of any close islands worth searching please let me know. Please email me at [email protected]. Thank you very much and HH.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great first time hunt.

I think every area has a great history but the trouble is it may be 4-20 feet down ;D A lot more people have lived on this land than we think.

I hope you finds lots at that new site.

HH

Badger

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !!
Hope to see all the keepers you dig on your new property!!
Good Luck!!

Joe

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Welcome Nathan104!! Sounds like my first hunt. It's infectious, isn't it?? You can't wait to find out what the next find will be. If you're not hooked yet, you will soon be. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up and the ground to thaw. The weatherman if forecasting highs in the 50's late next week (YES!!!!!). Think I'll find out how thick the frozen ground is...
HH
Bob

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum Nathan,next find....two nickle's ,a quarter and a caviar lid...It only get's better.Thank's for sharing and good luck in the future.

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Congts, and welcome Nathan, not bad for a first time search.
My first time md'ing resulted in finding a big chunk of worthless
metal, with an old Relco machine, thankfully MD's have improved
tremendously over the last two decades.
HH
SS

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Hal and I'm an MDer.

Sorry Nathan but it's no longer a hobby, its an addiction and this is the AA site of MDers.

Welcome and have a blast. We all look forward to further finds!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread