BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first IH / 1800's coin.

I found this at a school yard this past weekend. It's not an old school. (Built in 50's or 60's) I have pulled a ton of clad from the field but the only old coin I ever found there was a 1950's wheatie. I was shocked when I pulled this out of the hole. Considering about half the wheats I get are toasted I'm surprised it's in as good as condition as it is. NC soil is ROUGH on copper. I just dry brushed it with a toothbrush.

1898 IH

Upvote 11

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is really nice! Only dry brushing? That is amazing!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Indian Head find.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That is really nice! Only dry brushing? That is amazing!

I was afraid to use any water on it. I have cleaned some wheats with water and pretty much washed away all the detail.

I know it's not worth much but I didn't want to mess it up.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was afraid to use any water on it. I have cleaned some wheats with water and pretty much washed away all the detail.

I know it's not worth much but I didn't want to mess it up.

I have done the same thing! Lol, I'm going to do the dry brushing from here on out! The color that it still has is great! I read in your post that the soil where you are is harsh so that being considered, it is an amazing find! I would think it would be close to black or completely patina over.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
IH's most always survive better than wheaties 40 years their Jr. Congrats on breaking into the 1800's! It's strange to see a guy facing left with spiked hair after all those wheats right?!

Continued success and go get some 1700's now!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IH's most always survive better than wheaties 40 years their Jr. Congrats on breaking into the 1800's! It's strange to see a guy facing left with spiked hair after all those wheats right?!

Continued success and go get some 1700's now!
That's actually Lady Liberty wearing a native headress.
Great find! The Indian heads are much more resilient that most coppers. I hp the crap out of those babies. They're very hard to hurt

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love those IH, congrats of breaking 1800s

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice indian!, nice to break into the 1800s!
I still remember my first 1800s coin, 1870 ih, then when I finally got into the 1700s I nearly had a heart attack lol!!

Good luck out there!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's actually Lady Liberty wearing a native headress.
Great find! The Indian heads are much more resilient that most coppers. I hp the crap out of those babies. They're very hard to hurt
I start out with just a dry toothpick after a dry brush, then soak them in distilled water over night, if there is stubborn dirt I'll hydrogen peroxide the crap out of it. I have a few of them soaking in light oil. Indian Head Cent's are one of my favorite finds. I agree with Abe, they are very tuff, just like Carolina Tom, fastest way is HP, I just like tinkering with them.
Congrats on a nice one!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the IH and a little soaking in HP would help it out as like others have said this coinage seems to be pretty tough.
Sort of interesting the different metal compositions used but theres many years of mintage that the same composition were used.
So if there's a huge difference in condition for coinage that was minted between 1864-1942 and 1946-1962 it would be from environmental as fertilizers, soil, years of been exposed. If the IH was deeper it might have escaped most of the man made fertilizers applied to grass and crops.
Now that you've taken off the newer clad you might be surprised at some nicer older keepers that are hiding a little deeper.
We all tend to forget just because a place dates to something that's in the 50's or 60's doesn't mean that the site wasn't used before for another purpose. I've found a 1790's coin at a 1890's school site and this goes for homesteads as well, folks walk over the lands well before something is built.
Slow down and dig deep, best of luck on the return hunt.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find my man. My first 1800s coin was an IHC too. My hands were shaking when I saw that headdress on a jade green coin. Killer feeling, huh? Hope you find some more! GL&HH.

Hondo

Jul 1, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my first IH last summer in a spot I thought had been hammered to death. Still one of my favorite finds! Yours is very nice, congrats on a great recovery!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread